Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Hello All

Default Hello All

Hello.

I don't really know where to begin, but I'll start with a brief introduction.

I currently live in the PRNJ, where owning a gun, much less carrying one, is nearly impossible, as I'm sure many of you guys know. I am pondering an opportunity to work in the Trenton area. As I have no desire to live in Trenton itself, my next alternative would be Bucks County, PA.

Reason I am here is that I know PA is a very gun-friendly state outside of Philly. At what point would I be allowed to fill out an application for an LTCF? I'm really only interested in carrying to a range as I have (obviously) never owned a gun before, never shot a gun, and I would definitely want advice in learning everything I would need to know (maintenance, safety, classes, etc.) I want to be a responsible 2nd Amendment supporter and I will be 100% responsible. I'm a big guy (5'10" 260lbs) so I'm most likely going to buy a .45. I wanted to start off with a 9mm, but I was advised that I'd be able to handle a .45.

I'm also looking for a safe place to live in Bucks County. I don't have any children (yet), but I would like a place that has a great school system (great school system=safe neighborhood) Ideally, I'd like to keep my commute to Trenton within 15-30 minutes, but I'm willing to make that 45 min drive (tops) if I'm in a good neighborhood. Looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment or house where rent would be $1000-$1500.

Any suggestions with my inquiries would be most appreciated and I thank you in advance.
    Last edited by ExPRNJer; September 26th, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Hello All

I would look into the fairless Hills and Levittown areas. Can't really go wrong with the pennsbury or neshaminy school districts. I live in fairless Hills and am only about 5 minutes from Trenton. The area is fairly safe, and I feel comfortable here. The houses aren't too expensive, can find one in the 200,000 range or less. Plus there are a good number of shooting ranges within the area.

Dan

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExPRNJer View Post
    At what point would I be allowed to fill out an application for an LTCF?
    State law doesn't set any minimum time as a resident in order to obtain a LTCF. You just have to be a PA resident (or be a nonresident with a permit from your home state if it issues permits, which NJ theoretically is even though we all know that in practice they won't issue ordinary folks).
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ExPRNJer View Post
    I'm a big guy (5'10" 260lbs) so I'm most likely going to buy a .45. I wanted to start off with a 9mm, but I was advised that I'd be able to handle a .45.
    Someone advised you improperly on this front. There's more to managing the mechanics of shooting than just physical size. Different guns that shoot the same caliber will feel different to you. Also, forget about caliber for a while. Start with 22LR to build good fundamentals, then move up to a larger caliber.

But before you do any of that, take a class or two. I recommend the NRA Basic Pistol class. It's what I took first, and it's a good overview of the different types of pistols and their anatomy, the anatomy of a cartridge ("bullet"), the basic safety rules, and, of course, the mechanics of shooting with live range time. It's money well spent before you buy a single thing.

On a different note, regarding West Trenton, depending on where you have to go in WT, SEPTA runs a train to WT many, many times a day. If you can find a home near the West Trenton Line, commute time becomes less of an issue. The station in West Trenton is at 3 Railroad Avenue & Grand Avenue. SEPTA's website is www.septa.org, and you're looking for the Regional Rail. The Trevose stop is the first one outside of Philadelphia city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
    I would look into the fairless Hills and Levittown areas. Can't really go wrong with the pennsbury or neshaminy school districts.
    Yeah, I was told pennsbury is an excellent school system and was also advised to stay away from Moorestown due to the sketchyness of the area, unless I was in an area that would put me in Pennsbury. I will do homework on FH and Levittown though. I guess I should mention that I'm looking to rent as opposed to buying (I don't want to be committed in case another opportunity comes a long but I want to be there for a long time.)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    ...which NJ theoretically is even though we all know that in practice they won't issue ordinary folks).
    Exactly, which is why I don't bother. God forbid I did get a permit and I'm on my way home (legitimately!) from a range and I get pulled over by a cop for something stupid...even if I did everything right...I just don't want to go through the headache.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    But before you do any of that, take a class or two. I recommend the NRA Basic Pistol class. It's what I took first, and it's a good overview of the different types of pistols and their anatomy, the anatomy of a cartridge ("bullet"), the basic safety rules, and, of course, the mechanics of shooting with live range time. It's money well spent before you buy a single thing.

On a different note, regarding West Trenton, depending on where you have to go in WT, SEPTA runs a train to WT many, many times a day. If you can find a home near the West Trenton Line, commute time becomes less of an issue. The station in West Trenton is at 3 Railroad Avenue & Grand Avenue. SEPTA's website is www.septa.org, and you're looking for the Regional Rail. The Trevose stop is the first one outside of Philadelphia city limits.
    That is great advice regarding the NRA Basic Pistol course and I have taken note to heed it. I'd have no problem doing that before I get into buying a pistol. One of my main things that I want to learn is proper maintenance and then, when it comes to shooting, shot placement with a variety of pistols. Rifle shooting is something I would not be opposed to learning, but I primarily want a pistol for self-defense.

Also, I've taken the SEPTA to Philly in my younger days prior to driving (NJT to Trenton, then SEPTA to Philly) and I would not be opposed to living near a SEPTA station in case I have to get to work.

Thank you for your responses, and I hope I can garner more of them. My interview process has gone well, and I'm just getting ready in case I do take the job. A chance to move out of the PRNJ is something that is too powerful to ignore! Then I can live up to my name.....

(Bucks County)

I second Fairless Hills. I too grew up in New Jersey, Monmouth County. I went to college at Rider in Lawrenceville and met my wife there who grew up in Fairelss Hills. I moved out of Jersey and in with her in Fairless Hills where I've been ever since, for almost 20 years now. It's a great area with lots to do, you'll notice car insurance is also lower. You can buy a gun as soon as you establish residency & a PA drivers license. There are gun stores and ranges all over out here. Come on over to the free country! We can own exotic stuff like suppressors & machineguns too!

(Bucks County)

Newtown's a great area and charming little town, too. Council Rock school district, IIRC.

Assuming you're "clean," just run up to Doylestown as soon as you're a resident and your LTCF will be done and in your hot little hands quicker than you can eat lunch (which you should also do while you're in town).

(Montgomery County)

Looks of great places in Bucks. Pay attention to the property tax. It will be 5 years after having a kid that you would be able to benefit from the schools. School taxes can be pretty high in some of these areas.

Well I definitely thank you all for the responses I've received thus far.

I am actually going to be in that neck of the woods in a couple of weeks, so I am going to do some recon. I always like checking out an area at night to see how it "really is." I'm going to dart for Fairless Hills and see how that commute will be like, then I'll head home.

The only thing that I have on my "record" is one NJ DUI conviction. I was stupid, and I will never put myself in that situation again. All of my surcharges have been paid, of course and I vowed never to put myself in that situation again. I'm very grateful that the NJ conviction is not a criminal offense (not a misdemeanor, not a felony) and that all of fines/surcharges are satisfied. I am not in NCIS, or anything (never been booked, no mugshot). Reading the PA LTCF application, I would need three in a five year period to be denied. I got that one in 2010.

Aside from that, I'm really looking forward to escaping the PRNJ!