Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: crimped casing

(Cumberland County)

Default crimped casing

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Was at the range today, and noticed with my Glock 23C that the spent rounds were coming out with a pretty significant crimp at the top next to the round? I have never noticed this before, is it normal or should I be concerned? Was shooting Federal's.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: crimped casing

That doesn't look like crimped... that looks like bent.

(Elk County)

Not a dumb question, but a common effect specific to some semi-auto and auto weapons -- case mouth dent.

The case is spinning around at high speed upon ejection and it strikes on its mouth some area of the weapon such as the ejection port opening or the side of the slide, etc.

Not all ammo in a given cartridge type will do it in a given weapon; weaker rounds may not, higher-powered round may, and vice-versa. Many factors are in play, including the design dimensions of the weapon, the intensity of the cartridge loading, the bullet weight (which affects the speed of the breech opening), recoil spring force, extractor spring force, ejector length, etc.

My Springfield Armory SAR-48 FAL clone from 1985 has a mess of little smile-shaped marks in the black coating on the right side of the upper from case mouths spinning back and smacking the receiver in that area.

Those case mouth dents usually "iron out" when reloading.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Not a dumb question, but a common effect specific to some semi-auto and auto weapons -- case mouth dent.

The case is spinning around at high speed upon ejection and it strikes on its mouth some area of the weapon such as the ejection port opening or the side of the slide, etc.

Not all ammo in a given cartridge type will do it in a given weapon; weaker rounds may not, higher-powered round may, and vice-versa. Many factors are in play, including the design dimensions of the weapon, the intensity of the cartridge loading, the bullet weight (which affects the speed of the breech opening), recoil spring force, extractor spring force, ejector length, etc.

My Springfield Armory SAR-48 FAL clone from 1985 has a mess of little smile-shaped marks in the black coating on the right side of the upper from case mouths spinning back and smacking the receiver in that area.

Those case mouth dents usually "iron out" when reloading.

Noah
    Thank you sir! I never noticed it before, maybe some ammo does it more than others, or I simply never noticed it ! FYI still enjoying the Llama 380

(Monroe County)

The brass being ejected from my G23 a few days ago had significant bulging. Gotta love unsupported chambers!

Most likely got hit by the slide or the brass hit the slide when it was on its way out of the chamber. Glocks later extractors (2010 and later) seem to be some of the worst. When my 2 Glocks were new they would dent the brass like that consistantly however the more I shoot it the better it seems to get. My G33 seems to be harder on the brass than my G32. The sizing die and flaring die takes care of any distortions so the brass reloads fine.

The brass being ejected from my G23 a few days ago had significant bulging. Gotta love unsupported chambers!
    How old is your barrel? Glock added some support on the more recent barrels.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Most likely got hit by the slide or the brass hit the slide when it was on its way out of the chamber. Glocks later extractors (2010 and later) seem to be some of the worst. When my 2 Glocks were new they would dent the brass like that consistantly however the more I shoot it the better it seems to get. My G33 seems to be harder on the brass than my G32. The sizing die and flaring die takes care of any distortions so the brass reloads fine.

How old is your barrel? Glock added some support on the more recent barrels.

I just bought the gun within the last 2 years...maybe even within the last year

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for all the info., I feel better. I'm not quite sure the age on mine - it's a Gen 3 that I bought second hand about a year and a half ago. Everything works fine, I was just concerned over the casings after ejected.
    Great info. as always !