Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default AK guy purchasing 1st AR

I have owned an AK "type" rifle of some sort for the better part of a decade. I have always appreciated their ruggedness.

Used to be the AR was almost always so much more $$ than the AK. Thats not really so anymore. (AR still runs a bit more on average)

Decided to purchase my first AR. I did not want to spend too much right out of the box, mainly because I wanted to leave some $$ room to add some parts myself.

I looked and looked, did not want a pos, but something solid and basic.

I decided on a Del-ton Echo 316 H, 16 in barrel. M-4 feed ramps, A2 flash hider, Manganese phosphated, phosphated under front sight base, HTP/MPI tested, chrome-lined carrier interior and staked and sealed gas key.

Comes with a hardshell case and one Pmag, and free S/H. $650.00 otd + $10.00 for my ffl. So...$660.00

I've ordered:
    2 D&H Grey teflon coated magpul enhanced 30 round mags
    4 Magpul Black 30 round magazines
    A Magpul spring loaded BUIS and a BCM Gunfighter large latch charging handle.

Next paycheck I will get a Primary Arms Red-dot/3X with kill flash and a BCM auto carrier bolt group.

Then I should be done for a while.

Rifle and should be at ffl by Saturday. When I get it all done up, I'll post some pics.

Opinions?

Default Re: AK guy purchasing 1st AR

sounds like you know what you want! Looks like you got a good deal and are starting out quite nicely. You are well on your way to becoming a SEAL like the rest of us!

Enjoy and cant wait to see pics!

(Westmoreland County)

Its your cash but why do you already want to buy a new BCG for it ? Just to have a spare or ? again your cash so have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Its your cash but why do you already want to buy a new BCG for it ? Just to have a spare or ? again your cash so have at it.
    Good catch, I didnt see that..

OP.... BCG......

Legit question.

The BCG from Del-ton is probably fine. From what I can tell it is SA and not the heavier auto. A co-worker has a NIB Bravo Co. BCG (he had ordered 2 on sale and has decided he does not need both) I can buy this from him for $110.00. These normally run $150.00-$160.00.

I'll keep the original BCG (as back up or maybe for another rifle someday, who knows?)

Anyway, I know that the Bravo is a really top shelf product, and for the price its kinda hard for me to turn down. I think the Del-ton is probably a good, basic, solid rifle for the most part. However over time I am not opposed to changing and adding BCM or LMT parts to it.

After the optics and BCG I'' most likely be done for a while. Well...maybe some rails in a month or so.
    Last edited by Okiegunner; September 19th, 2012 at 09:16 PM.

(Wayne County)

While Delton has upped it's game IMHO you could have just taken the extra $300 -$400 you spent/are planning to spend on peripheries and got a 1st rate AR. That opinion aside, I hope she works great for you and gives you years of trouble free " sporting purposes"
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

i understand now.. Surprised del ton has anything in stock. Ive been trying to order the 20" govt profile rifle kit for months now.

I'll have an extra $155.00 in the rifle itself (not counting the optics and the magazines as I would have purchased these no matter what rifle I bought)

So I will have a pretty solid (barrel is 4150 steel) AR with a few high quality Bravo parts for $805 otd.

Thanks for the good wishes guys