Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Buckle-less belts (or other options)??

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Check out the 5.11 TDU belts as well. Might not be so dressy but are very strong. I use them for carry every single day.
    I don't wanna rain on your belt choice, but that belt is like a cheap walmart belt compared to a stiff gun carry purposed leather belt in comparison the the Ares Ranger belt. I myself have the 5.11 operator belt which is thicker and stiffer than the TDU, but is like toilet paper in comparison to the Ares belts.

If it works for you though, then more power to you, I have nothing else to say. This is just based on videos i have seen on how floppy those belts(and thin) are.

To the OP, if you want a dressier looking buckle, Ares has a Ranger belt Lite. Basically it is the same belt, but the buckle is not as tactical looking.
    Last edited by coppery; September 19th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    I don't wanna rain on your belt choice, but that belt is like a cheap walmart belt compared to a stiff gun carry purposed leather belt in comparison the the Ares Ranger belt. I myself have the 5.11 operator belt which is thicker and stiffer than the TDU, but is like toilet paper in comparison to the Ares belts.

If it works for you though, then more power to you, I have nothing else to say. This is just based on videos i have seen on how floppy those belts(and thin) are.
    Videos huh? I have seen many videos produced for items in which the producer was biased.

It might have something to do with how I carry. I suppose it wouldn't be the best option for a belt slide OWB holster but I carry IWB at about 12:30. Before this belt I actually always used those cheap fabric belts and never had an issue. If I chose to carry OWB I more than likely would get a different belt.

(Montgomery County)

Anyway, it really depends how one feels comfortable with their system. You said yours works fine for you, I am not going to argue that. I'm just giving the best option on the market for a nylon gunbelt.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    Anyway, it really depends how one feels comfortable with their system. You said yours works fine for you, I am not going to argue that. I'm just giving the best option on the market for a nylon gunbelt.
    Well I'm glad you did. I've never heard of those...which is surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    As far as punching another hole, I am not slicing a hole in a belt that I paid $70 for...just my opinion.
    I suppose that $70 belt sitting in the junk drawer not getting any use and spending more $$ on another one is the better option

Get a holepunch like Chem mentioned or just take a knife, stick it in the desired spot, and spin. Nobodys gonna notice a little hole in your belt. Its a belt, theres supposed to be holes in it

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    I suppose that $70 belt sitting in the junk drawer not getting any use and spending more $$ on another one is the better option

Get a holepunch like Chem mentioned or just take a knife, stick it in the desired spot, and spin. Nobodys gonna notice a little hole in your belt. Its a belt, theres supposed to be holes in it

To be quite honest, I would probably sell the belt and get something else. It is a little bit thicker and wider than I originally thought, and I have some issues getting it through some pants.

To punch an extra hole in it would pretty much ruin it in my opinion...just saying.
    Male RN

Quote Originally Posted by mazzefr View Post
    Get a hole punched where you need it? Or, eat more ice cream
    The first post got it right. Rep sent. Punch a hole where you need it.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Bedford County)

Wilderness tactical, right spot every time.....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    Hey guys,

I had thought about a nylon belt with an adjustable buckle (pull through and tighten up when it's to your liking), but I often carry where I am more dressed up than a nylon belt.

Guessing you're referring to a military style web belt? Curious why you would say it's not dressy enough? I have one in black with silver buckle...looks dressy enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I'm 6'1", 180 lbs, so there's not a lot of "padding" on my hips & I had the same problem with belt fit. I bought two Wilderness Tactical belts, a tan one & a black, that I've been wearing every day for about 4 years now & I love them.

As far as appearance goes, I look at it this way: If I'm someplace where they're not "dressy" enough, then I don't belong there in the first place.
    A big plus for the Wilderness instructor belts.

No holes means exact fit no matter the wardrobe. Different jeans sit at different heights on me, meaning different girth.

I don't tuck shirts unless I'm in khakis, so the belt gets lots of mileage. Going on 5 years for my belt. I think it's starting to relax a bit. I might start wearing it the other way, to wear it out evenly.

I do have a habit of ripping open the Velcro if I'm lifting something heavy and catch it while brushing up or down against it. Results in a loud velcro sounds, when my wardrobe doesn't show any reason to be wearing velcro. No one has ever questioned it though.

Nice to know I can tow my broken down car with the thing too.. (8,000 lbs test I believe)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast