Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP2 target

(Bucks County)

Default AP2 target

The NRA Pistol (not bullseye pistol) qualification requires AP1 or AP2 targets at the intermediate to distinguished levels, which are difficult to obtain locally and rather expensive to buy.

Here's the smaller of the two (AP2) as a JPEG. Different printers scale a bit differently from time to time, so keep yourself honest: The base-line of the "tombstone" should be 5.0 inches wide, with the center of the black circle 4.2" above the base-line. (See the NRA rule-book online for the spec)

If someone wants the XCF file to manipulate this target in the free and open-source graphics program GIMP, or to scale it up to an AP1, you can PM me. It's the wrong extension to post here, and zips up too big to meet the size limit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AP2 target

Thanks for posting this. I had been working on the NRA pistol qualification but the target I made up to approximate the AP2 was not nearly as accurate as yours. It took me some trial and error to be able to print your .jpg to get the right dimensions though. When I got the scaling right I printed it to a .pdf file (attached), .pdf files tend to be easier to print and maintain the correct scale.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Bucks County)

Thanks for doing that. I don't have Acrobat Pro or PhotoSlop on my personal PC, and was too lazy to pump it through the process of getting it to/from the work PC. One thing GIMP doesn't do is pdfs (yet). You still have to watch print scaling it with PDFs, print drivers being what they are.

How are you doing on the pistol qualification? I just completed the "Expert" course of fire, did it with the little AP2 target at 27 feet rather than 15, because I don't have free access to a range with either exactly 15- or 30-foot distances.

I think I'm going to pay to do Distinguished Expert at the right distance, though. One-handed with a 33-ounce pistol, weak-side, rapid fire is tough enough without almost doubling the distance / halving the size of the target!

(Montgomery County)

I made it through Sharpshooter over a year ago, but never attempted Expert. I hope to make it to the range tomorrow afternoon, and if I do I will give it a try. I will be cheating though, by using my 22/45. I'll compensate by shooting at a longer distance like you did. Thanks for getting me re-started on this!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdChance View Post
    I made it through Sharpshooter over a year ago, but never attempted Expert. I hope to make it to the range tomorrow afternoon, and if I do I will give it a try. I will be cheating though, by using my 22/45. I'll compensate by shooting at a longer distance like you did. Thanks for getting me re-started on this!
    The 22/45 is not cheating. Hell, you can even use red dots and pistol scopes, (but not lasers). I think you'll find that the heft of the target pistol will make those one-handed strong/weak sequences a bit of a challenge.

(Montgomery County)

Well I made it to the range yesterday (Wicen's) but wound up only shooting rifle. I'm running low on Mini Mags and Tanner's was out. They didn't have anything else that I wanted to try running through the 22/45. But I picked up a box of Winchester T22 and my Uberti single-shot rifle seems to like them fine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdChance View Post
    Well I made it to the range yesterday (Wicen's) but wound up only shooting rifle. I'm running low on Mini Mags and Tanner's was out. They didn't have anything else that I wanted to try running through the 22/45. But I picked up a box of Winchester T22 and my Uberti single-shot rifle seems to like them fine.
    Should have stopped by the show at York and Street roads. Mini-Mags for 7 bucks / 100. Also Bulk Blazers, Federal 525s, and bricks of CCI SV, and some of the really good Eley, Anguilla and Wolf stuff, all of which your 22/45 should eat just fine.

(Montgomery County)

Default AP2 target - now with holes

I shot the expert level of the pistol qualification today using gascolator's target, I just squeaked in with a qualifying score:

145 (62 RH + 83 LH)
    147 (84 RH + 63 LH)
    151 (91 RH + 60 LH)
    153 (79 RH + 74 LH)
    155 (87 RH + 68 LH)

You need two rounds of 130 or better plus three rounds of 150 or better, so I just made it. Below is the highest scoring target, a 91. Actually the 87 I shot had a better group, but it was off-center.

Not very consistent shooting, but when I got home and scored the targets I was quite pleased that I made it.

These were shot at about 25 feet with my 22/45, using Blazers.

(Bucks County)

CONGRATULATIONS! WHOOPEE! HURRAH FOR YOU!

It's not easy.

Oh, it's easy to read about, but the courses of fire starting at Sharpshooter are designed such that "there will be pain." Either you're going to be hammered by a light pistol and struggling to stay on-target or you're going to be shaking like a leaf with a heavy one and struggling to score enough points on a target about the size of center-of-mass.

Those off-hand weak-side segments are diabolical, aren't they? Somehow they got the requirement such that if you weren't at least passing decent at hitting center-of-mass on those, you needed to come and try again another day.

You're a more patient man than I am; I scored my targets informally from the firing-line through binoculars. Nothing like a little extra pressure. Just...two...more...qualifying...scores...

Hope to see us at Distinguished Expert and thus in the pages of the magazine a bit down the road. We can do everything we just did but compressed into rapid-fire sequence, right?

That's just that much less time holding that cinder-block at arm's length, right?

(P.S.: The time in the gym really, really, helps.)

This is a great program, because if you're determined to get through it you WILL be a better pistol shooter at the other end. It sucks you in at first. "No problem, I can do that." And then later... "Really? You want me to do what?"

Then surprise, with a bit of work, you can.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you very much! I was pretty relaxed at the range, mainly because I had forgotten what the qualifying scores were so I had no idea how close I was. I was surprised how well I shot left handed, I don't think I've shot left hand only in over a year.

I'm now trying to decide what handgun I want to use for distinguished expert. I'm considering a .38 revolver, since you shoot 6-shot strings. Getting off six decent shots in ten seconds using my left hand only with a double action revolver would definitely be a challenge! Actually, maybe too much of a challenge. What are you using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast