Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Dumb shotgun choke question

I borrowed a 20ga shotgun from my brother to take my daughter hunting. All of my experience with firearms has been from a military/HD POV.

The shotgun is a Mossberg 500c with a choke installed. After removing the choke, is it okay to put slugs through this weapon? Daughter wants to hunt deer so slugs are a must. Will a slug destroy the choke threads in the barrel?

She also wants to hunt bear, elk, and pretty much every other animal you can think of. Except bunnies. They're too cute, apparently.

Default Re: Dumb shotgun choke question

Most shotguns will shoot slugs pretty well with the Mod. of I.C. choke. If you leave the choke out it will lead up and be a pita to clean.

No dumb question just questionable answers.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Montgomery County)

I would not shoot the slugs with the choke removed for the reasons stated above. What choke was in the barrel when you received it?

If I were shooting slugs through a smooth bore I'd shoot an Improved Cylinder (should say something like Imp Cyl on the choke) (MOD) would be modified and so on

Chokes for the Mossberg are cheap and can be bought locally at any gun shop. dicks, cabelas atc..

Not sure what your $ situation is but If you want a good slug gun I'd get the rifled barrel and shoot sabots (it's what I use for deer in PA)

Unless you are going to use a rifled barrel, you'll need to shoot rifled slugs out of the smooth barrel, likely through a choke no tighter than I.C. Look on the side of the box of rifled slugs and it will tell you what to use. Definitely practice at the range because accuracy is probably only out to 100 yards.

You shoot Sabots through a rifle barrel by the way.

And apparently, I should read the other comments before posting, as mine is redundant to Soups...!
    Last edited by CL3; September 17th, 2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: I should read.

(Bucks County)

You can shoot rifled foster slugs out of any choke up to a full. Don't shoot it with the choke removed.

(Lancaster County)

For bear and elk I'd definitely get something with more power than a 20 gauge, and even for deer that's really just barely adequate.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for all the advice. The choke is an Accu-Choke Improved Choke and it was installed at the factory. I'll just leave it in there and purchase rifled slugs.

And, don't worry. I'm not gonna go hunting bear or elk with a 20ga!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    For bear and elk I'd definitely get something with more power than a 20 gauge, and even for deer that's really just barely adequate.
    How do you figure? Every deer I've taken has been with a 20GA shooting Hornady SST Sabots. The last deer I shot went less than 10 yards before dropping. Deer before that went about 15 yards

(Chester County)

I have an old Sears Model 200 16 ga with an IC barrel that I have taken about 20 deer with in the 17 years that I have had it using rifled slugs. There is no reason your 20 ga should not be more than adequate for deer.

(Bucks County)

If you look at the info on shotgun shells, normal loads for the 12ga. VRS. the same for a 20ga. and you will find, most of the time, that the 20ga. has close to the same muzzle velocity as the one listed on the box of 12ga, just less shot or a lighter slug.

If the shooter does their part, the animal won't be able to tell the difference!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast