Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Companion to an XD-45

The neighbor lady asks if I would help her learn some basics with her new Handgun. The day we decided too get together she shows up with an XD-45. Way too much handgun for her but this is what her husband also a none handgun shooter bought for them. I was thinking I might try talking them into a 22 for practice. But I would like too find something similar to the XD.

I Let her shoot a couple of my 9MMs and 38s she did much better. However still wants to stay with the XD for home defense .
    I was thinking the Walthers P-22 as a practice gun any thoughts.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Companion to an XD-45

The s&w m&p 22 would be compariable.

(Chester County)

S&W M&P 22 is the closest you're gonna get to a full frame like the XD. I picked one up specifcally for that reason as I normally carry an XD-9 service model. All of the other 22 offerings are tiny and not even close in size.

(Chester County)

I wish I had one of the smaller ones just to do a photo comparison like this but I do not. I can show you how similar in size the XD is compared to the M&P 22.

(Monroe County)

Forget about the .22 , let her train with the Gun that she will use to defend her life with, its a big jump from a puny .22 to a .45 .

I understand the rationale for the .22 and it is what i recommend too to newbies, but i'm afraid the horse has already exited the gateway, its too late for this lady, just do the best you can for her.

(Allegheny County)

Is it the full size? I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking with that. Go ugly early.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the suggestions the S&W sounds like what she needs for practice. This lady did very well for her first time with a pistol, especially a 45ACP. But now she needs practice, she did much better with my Glock 22 and my reduced loads. I normally do not let others shoot my reloads. However with the XP her first shot was good, second a little low. Third and fourth she was flinching so bad she was hitting 2 to 3 feet low at 25 feet.

I know with my self if shooting full house 45ACP or 45LC, I will shoot a couple mags, or cylinders and the heavy recoil will start effecting my groups. I always bring a 9MM or 38 to get the groups tightened back up. Then I will switch back and forth between guns.

I agree if she is going to keep the 45 she needs to practice with it. But she also needs confidence and practice. I am afraid the constant punishment of the 45, and cost of ammo. She will not practice as much as she should.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions the S&W sounds like what she needs for practice. This lady did very well for her first time with a pistol, especially a 45ACP. But now she needs practice, she did much better with my Glock 22 and my reduced loads. I normally do not let others shoot my reloads. However with the XP her first shot was good, second a little low. Third and fourth she was flinching so bad she was hitting 2 to 3 feet low at 25 feet.

I know with my self if shooting full house 45ACP or 45LC, I will shoot a couple mags, or cylinders and the heavy recoil will start effecting my groups. I always bring a 9MM or 38 to get the groups tightened back up. Then I will switch back and forth between guns.

I agree if she is going to keep the 45 she needs to practice with it. But she also needs confidence and practice. I am afraid the constant punishment of the 45, and cost of ammo. She will not practice as much as she should.

First 3 guns my wife (then g/f) ever shot. .45acp, .300wsm and a 12ga, took them all like a champ. Dont underestimate anyone without letting them shoot a few times first, see how she feels about shooting and feeding it. Then you can offer her other options after a few range sessions, and let her ultimately make the decision.

(Northampton County)

Start closer than 25 ft ... cut the distance in half until she is grouping tighter. While 7ish yrds doesnt sound like much to most of us, it may not be doing much good at this point

(Westmoreland County)

I am a firm believer get the basics down first. Then move up. Over the years I have seen many kids that started out with way too much rifle and developed anticipation flinch. I believe this to be the case with her and the 45. My wife I started out on my Ruger MK 2 and she has shot everything from 22 to 44 Mag. But much prefers shooting the 9MM. She doses on occasion shoot my 45ACPs just to stay familiar with them. But not her choice for a fun day at the range.