Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default First Handgun Purchase

Hello- I am looking to make a handgun purchace. I am mainly concerned about safety and reliability and not so much raw power as I'm a total novice. I want a dependable, quality gun for protection and range shooting. I have heard many opinions from various folks but want some input from this forum. thanks alot.

Default Re: First Handgun Purchase

Glock, Ruger or Smith & Wesson Semi-automatic pistol. I would go with 9mm because it is effective and cheap to shoot.

In the Revolver category...Ruger LCR or Smith and Wesson calibrated to .38.

Quote Originally Posted by Btcobra2 View Post
    Hello- I am looking to make a handgun purchace. I am mainly concerned about safety and reliability and not so much raw power as I'm a total novice. I want a dependable, quality gun for protection and range shooting. I have heard many opinions from various folks but want some input from this forum. thanks alot.
    any gun is as safe as its handler. i would recommend going to a range where you can rent guns and firing a few to see what you like.

9mm is a pretty good start and springfield xd, glock and smith and wesson mp are all reliable polymer framed guns that you will probably still be happy with in years to come.

if you are looking at classic, all stainless models like 1911s i think the ruger sr1911 give you a lot of bang for your buck.

in revolvers, my preference is smith and wesson followed by ruger. both have some nice, lightweight 38sp models that are both concealable and decent to shoot at the range.

this is all preference and truthfully almost all guns from the major brands are pretty darn good nowadays. good luck and enjoy.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Northampton County)

Get training.

Then, get either a Glock or a S&W or Ruger Revolver.

Then shoot and have fun.

That's if the "protection" goal is the highest priority. If range shooting and fun is a higher priority, then get anything in .22 Long Rifle--any Ruger auto or revolver will be dandy. They have next to no recoil so are easy to shoot and you can blast away for about .06 per round so you get a ton of trigger time for next to nothing.

Heres the 9mm Glock...about 500

My personal preference....the Ruger SR9c...about 450

Smith & Wesson Shield...about 450

You can look up the rest

(Adams County)

for a first gun i all ways say a ruger mk 2 or 3. standard model with 4" barrel. it is a .22. which means you can shoot it alot. that is what it takes is alot of shooting to get good. then after you learn to shoot you can get a centerfire pistol. but still keep the .22.

(Lawrence County)

Even though I hate them, a Glock would be the way to go. There are many different models to choose from, so hold them all. I would stick with 9mm as a beginner. Until you have shot a couple hundred rounds at the range, don't carry it. Not for the gun's sake, but for your sake. Until you have shot it enough to be comfortable with it, the gun is useless...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lawrence County)

All are good suggestions. I would also highly reccomend anything from CZ. The polymer PO7 is around $450. The alloy and all steel are a few more $$$ but well worth it. These are " last a lifetime" pistols. But always go with what fits your hand well and that you like. If a pistol that you love is just a few $$ out of your price range save up for it. Like others stated if you can find a range & try a few out all the better.

(Allegheny County)

In no particular order:

Glock 17
    M&P 9
    HS2000 (aka, the Springfield XD)

Please try before you buy though. Most ranges have rentals available.

And, as others have said, get some training or coaching too.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Btcobra2 View Post
    As far as protection are you currently concern with home protection or carry outside of the home. This could be a determining factor in your firearm selection.

My advice as well as others is to see what fits you by handling and firing them, then make an informed decision.

If you really want to learn to shoot a .22 will be a fine first choice as you will be able to practice the basics very cheaply. Follow that up by a suitable defensive firearm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast