Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pistol Advice

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Pistol Advice

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    This gun is no better than a RIA 1911. In fact, it is built the same way; pot metal frame and forged slide. I don't get the hype with the Spartan. It has no checkering on the front strap, they wasted time checkering the trigger face (can't figure that one out) and basically, is a plain ol 1911 with a sub standard out of the box trigger. Of the few I have shot, the barrel bushing fit on each was at the beginning of worthy, at best. Two inch groups at 25 is norm, but a Red Rdyer BB gun will do that. I'm not saying the gun sucks, I'm just saying if you're going to tell someone to buy one, then tell them to look at all the Asian 1911's. They can stamp a different name on something built by the same people just as good as we can.
    The STI has better sights, trigger, sear, hammer, safeties and grip safety. The frames and slide are the same. BUT, STI uses their own small parts, which are made to much higher standard. The fitting is also better.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    The STI has better sights, trigger, sear, hammer, safeties and grip safety. The frames and slide are the same. BUT, STI uses their own small parts, which are made to much higher standard. The fitting is also better.
    Forgot to mention that STI has great customer service.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Gonna have to respectfully disagree. Both Spartans I shot were out of the box, and though the triggers were decent, they still needed to be tuned to be an acceptable target pistol. MIM parts are MIM parts, so whether STI files them to fit or a smith does it, there still MIM. The finish on the Spartan is worse than a PT 1911. By no means do I think the gun is junk, but it basically needs the same things done to it that every other $600 1911 needs to get it to shoot nicely. I've vacillated between the SA GI and the PT 1911 being the best 1911 value going, right up until the PT 1911 ALR came out. Value wise, nothing comes close, and for $700, you even get a pretty darn good trigger, so the gun smith doesn't need an emergency call. JMHO
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lehigh County)

What do you guys think about a SA 1911 Range Officer?

(Montgomery County)

If you can find one a S/H P220 in 0.45 is also an excellent pistol, plus the CZ75B in 9 mm is very hard to beat. I have a variety in both calibres and for serious work, these two are hard to beat. I should also add, all metal adn not "pot metal". Dave_n

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    A lightly used or CPO SIG P226 9mm meets all of your requirements and would likely feel comfortable in those big paws. With only a few inexpensive tweaks you can make the good SA pull VERY nice. If you handle a P226 and like it, you're more than welcome to shoot mine sometime. Mark at Summit Gun Broker is an excellent source for new, used, and CPO SIG's if you decide to go that direction.
    +1
    Thats what I was going to suggest.

Question Re: Pistol Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Signal.0 View Post
    What do you guys think about a SA 1911 Range Officer?
    They are running near $800, but are more on par with the 1911's that are less a C-note, or two. That's just my opinion, and I'm critical, so don't read too much into it. They shoot a 2" group (or better with the right ammo and shooter) 25 yds out. The finish is Taurus like in that it is thin and needs to have some anti rust stuff wiped on occasionally, but it is a smooth finish. Like a Ruger or Remington, it is a very good 1911, but is about $100 too high. SMO

Edit: They have MIM parts just like a Spartan, Remington, SA Loaded, Taurus, or Ruger. I don't fret MIM parts because they file just as good as forged parts and anything (MIM part wise) that breaks is easily replaceable.
    Last edited by harold63; September 27th, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234