Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default I bet Morton Grove is watching Heller

Morton Grove, IL. In 1981, Morton Grove became the first town in America to prohibit the possession of handguns. Victor Quilici, a local lawyer, sued the city (Quilici v. Morton Grove). The federal district court as well as the Appellate Court ruled the Morton Grove ordinance to be constitutional, thus upholding the gun ban. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear the case, letting the lower court decision stand. The ban stands to this day as village code.

If you want to read more, try:

http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/...0309221255.asp

which was referred to in the Limerick preemption thread. It’s long but informative

What'll you do, IF ...?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: I bet Morton Grove is watching Heller

Sometimes I wish I weren't so cynical, but the things I've seen thus far in my life have made me so. Somehow the SCOTUS will find a way to weasel out of making a strong opinion/ruling, and very little will change. That my cynical guess anyway.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Sometimes I wish I weren't so cynical, but the things I've seen thus far in my life have made me so. Somehow the SCOTUS will find a way to weasel out of making a strong opinion/ruling, and very little will change. That my cynical guess anyway.
    While I normally take a cynical tack as well on such issues, this case is specifically crafted to force the SCotUS to make a decision on the "individual versus collective right" issue that has surrounded the 2nd Amendment for years. While the ruling on the overall case will technically only affect the actors, a definitive ruling on the individual vs. collective rights issue will set a precedent that could be used to challenge all existing gun laws, court decisions, or proposed legislation based on either the individual or collective interpretation of the 2A.

Morton Grove: sounds pretty awful to me. I would NEVER live in IL... NEVER.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Chester County)

I was talking with my dad about the Heller case yesterday. He doesn't own a firearm or shoot them but I got sidetracked. I have a fascination with consitutional law and will hopefully be off to law school in the Fall of 2009. Assuming the Court declares the ban on handguns in DC unconstitutional I am willing to be that you will see lots of cases popping up...see NYC. So as ChamberedRound above me pointed out the ruling on this case will only help the actors. However, the Court never takes a case in which its decision only helps the actors in the case. This will set a precedent which could either be good or very bad for gun owners.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgser View Post
    Morton Grove, IL. In 1981, Morton Grove became the first town in America to prohibit the possession of handguns. Victor Quilici, a local lawyer, sued the city (Quilici v. Morton Grove). The federal district court as well as the Appellate Court ruled the Morton Grove ordinance to be constitutional, thus upholding the gun ban. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear the case, letting the lower court decision stand. The ban stands to this day as village code.

If you want to read more, try:

http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/...0309221255.asp

which was referred to in the Limerick preemption thread. It’s long but informative

What'll you do, IF ...?
    Was it Morton Grove who put in an ordinance after this case that every home in the community must have a gun in it ???

No, I think that is Kennesaw, GA.

They were indeed watch and took note of Heller, the Ban was overturned soon after:
    "The ban stood as village code 6-2-3.[21] However, in light of the U.S. Supreme Court's 2008 opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller,[22] it appeared likely that the village would drop the ban. On July 28, 2008, the city dropped its prohibition on handguns. The village board voted 5-1 in favor of removing the ban."

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by WingsOverVA View Post
    They were indeed watch and took note of Heller, the Ban was overturned soon after:
    "The ban stood as village code 6-2-3.[21] However, in light of the U.S. Supreme Court's 2008 opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller,[22] it appeared likely that the village would drop the ban. On July 28, 2008, the city dropped its prohibition on handguns. The village board voted 5-1 in favor of removing the ban."
    Nice closure on an 11 year old thread. I wonder why it took so long?
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    Nice closure on an 11 year old thread.