Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Carrying in other states

Fellow gun owners, I have some questions and concerns about carrying when i travel. I am in a band that tends to travel all over the US. In recent tours, I have found myself in several sketchy situations that made me wish i had my trusty CZ on the side of my hip. We spend numerous nights camping out in a van in walmart parking lots, in often times, how you say, "less than desirable areas". Point being is, i have recently been looking into taking my gun on tour with me, I have a map of reciprocity, but im still worried about actually being in another state and them upholding their end of the deal. I also was curious about what i would have to do when traveling through states that DONT honor a PA permit. Anyone have experience traveling through other states with their sidearm? Truck drivers or anything like that? ANy insight will be very helpful. Thanx and God bless

(Chester County)

Default Re: Carrying in other states

Since you're in a traveling band I presume that you actually have 'gigs' in unfriendly states.

If you were in transit THROUGH an unfriendly state then, assuming you meet all the pre-qualifications, you could garner protection under the Federal FOPA transport (18 USC 926A). However when you have a performance in an unfriendly state or if you stop for non-transit reasons (eg: visiting relatives, excursions, etc) then that state becomes your destination state for that leg of the trip and the Federal protection does not apply -you're left to the mercy of the laws of each state you transit throughout that entire leg.

18 USC §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Assuring legality of handgun possession would be extremely problematic, IMO, since you travel 'all over the US' .
    IANAL

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybusiness View Post
    We spend numerous nights camping out in a van in walmart parking lots, in often times, how you say, "less than desirable areas".
    On a road trip to LA a few years back, WalMart was the spot, as the Honda Element became a mobile two man tent. My suggestion, pick WalMarts in decent neighborhoods, especially those next to the interstate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Orlando (Used to live in Allegheny County), Florida

Memorize www.handgunlaw.us.
    George H. Foster - Orlando, Florida (Formerly Allegheny County)

Become a constable?
    1776 or 1984? - You decide.

(Beaver County)

I'm kind of suffering your same ailment. I just took a trip to Baltimore and can't carry here. You can see more detail in my thread "I feel naked..." the short of it is that I'm forced to walk around downtown Baltimore unarmed and I feel uncomfortable because Maryland is a may-issue state...
    Last edited by flyingjunkie; September 17th, 2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Fact wrong, updated

(Lancaster County)

Everybody who is involved in this thread should take an active role in supporting the following bill being put before congress. "S.2188 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012". Should it pass in it's current form, any person that carries a valid LTCF (or equivalent) from the state that that person resides in, will be able to carry in any other state in the union. Call/write your senator and your representative to support this bill.

(Allegheny County)

Thanx hammy, I will def make sure to do that.

I thought I had seen this thread before and this point had been made, but now I don't see it. If this is a replay, blame it on senility:

Since you travel all over the U.S., please remember that "through" means "through," not "to." Any place you stop for a gig is a destination, and in order for the Federal law (FOPA) to cover you, that particular leg of your trip has to begin in a state where you can legally carry a gun and must end in a state where you can legally carry a gun.

I can remember posts (I think on another forum) in which someone argued he could start in state 'A,' travel to state 'B' and participate in business meetings, then go to state 'C' to attend a seminar, and then return home ... and his argument was that even though he had NO permit and NO reciprocity with either 'B' or 'C' he was good to go because he was only traveling "through" those states.

That ain't the way it works. In fact, he took not one but three separate trips, and because he wasn't legal in 'B' or 'C,', the FOPA didn't apply to one inch of his travels.