Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Re: Carrying with one in the chamber is Unsafe

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Your sig line sort of hints at the crux of the matter ...
    Yes but as gun lawyer said, mechanical devices fail, safeties fail. Guns fault, your fault, someone completely innocent COULD possibly get hurt due to our weapons, and I guess thats what he was trying to get across to me. Maybe he felt that was one way we could lose our guns, accidental/ negligent discharge and harming other people.

(Lackawanna County)

This is the biggest reason I don't like open carry: every retard in the world needs to tell you their fuckng opinion. My fiance does it, and I support him doing it, but Jesus Christ, the morons that we come across. He doesn't tolerate it too long though; if he were in your shoes, he would've just laughed at the guy and walked away when he went into retard mode.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock_23 View Post
    Yes but as gun lawyer said, mechanical devices fail, safeties fail. Guns fault, your fault, someone completely innocent COULD possibly get hurt due to our weapons, and I guess thats what he was trying to get across to me. Maybe he felt that was one way we could lose our guns, accidental/ negligent discharge and harming other people.
    I'm wondering if anyone could actually dig up a case where a gun truly malfunctioned and fired while inside a holster that properly covers the trigger.

Every time you hear about an unplanned discharge, either the person was futzing with it when they shouldn't have been or carrying it without a proper holster. I cannot recall a case in the past 10 years or so where the gun actually malfunctioned and fired.

If someone knows of a case, I'd love to read about it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone could actually dig up a case where a gun truly malfunctioned and fired while inside a holster that properly covers the trigger.

Every time you hear about an unplanned discharge, either the person was futzing with it when they shouldn't have been or carrying it without a proper holster. I cannot recall a case in the past 10 years or so where the gun actually malfunctioned and fired.

If someone knows of a case, I'd love to read about it.
    I have never heard of such case. I for the most part trust our firearms. But what do you think the repercussions would be if it DID happen? How comfortable are you starring down the barrel of a loaded gun? I think that could show us how much we REALLY trust them... Its just something to think about. I even notice myself when I put my gun on the nighstand, in the drawer STILL making sure it is pointing in a safe direction. Do you do that? If we trust our guns THAT much, why not just point it right at us while we sleep?
    Last edited by Glock_23; September 14th, 2012 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's certainly "less" safe, being at least one step closer to firing than being unchambered. Driving 65 MPH is less safe than 55, too, because you have more energy to cause injury, less time to react.

Life is not safe. I will point out, though, that the person carrying is probably the least likely to be shot or killed, because usually the muzzle is pointed away at some other person, or at least parallel to the carrier. When you sit, stand, get out of a car, get into a seat at a restaurant, bend over to pick up something, that muzzle does tend to sweep other human beings. The fact that concealed carry means that those potential victims won't see it coming is only useful in preventing them from complaining in advance.

Truth is, I would feel uncomfortable with a holstered, chambered gun aimed at me for the duration of a bus trip. And that's hardly irrational, the carrier is betting MY life that his safety and sear and hammer will never, ever fail. Machinery fails, all the time. And I'm sure that when your chambered gun malfunctions and puts a round into some kid's face, you'll blame the gun, when in fact it was the fault of the person in control of the gun.
    That's what is great about a Glock. No traditional safety, sear or hammer. Mechanical, yes. The likelihood of all three of those failing AND having the trigger pulled to the rear are dare I say next to impossible while in a quality holster.
    Jules

(Lancaster County)

I have never heard of such case. I trust our firearms. But what do you think the repercussions would be if it DID happen?
    I think the manufacturer would have some 'splaining to do. Unless the firearm was improperly maintained or modified.

I do seem to faintly recall a story about Mac-10 or Tec-9's that were illegally modified that could fire randomly.

How comfortable are you starring down the barrel of a loaded gun? I think that could show us how much we REALLY trust them... Its just something to think about. I even notice myself when I put my gun on the nighstand, in the drawer STILL making sure it is pointing in a safe direction. Do you do that? If we trust our guns THAT much, why not just point it right at us while we sleep right?
    Tactically, it only makes sense to have the barrel pointed away from you. Why, in the middle of the night, would you want to grab for the gun you need and grab the barrel? It should be positioned so that you can quickly grab the grip and engage the target.

(Fayette County)

I think the manufacturer would have some 'splaining to do. Unless the firearm was improperly maintained or modified.

I do seem to faintly recall a story about Mac-10 or Tec-9's that were illegally modified that could fire randomly.
    I agree, but I think the media and public would crucify that carrier and the carrying population in general, not so much the gun manufacturer. If some little girl/ boy/ mom/ dad/ etc was killed by a concealed carrier I would imagine there would be BAD things to follow. And just imagine trying to sleep at night knowing what you or your weapon did.

I'm reading my own posts thinking man I sound against carrying 1 int he chamber, but I guess I am just looking at this from both sides.

(Beaver County)

As I said, I kept my gun chambered tonight, and I plan on continuing to do so.
    That's good to hear. I have an uncle that said something similar to me.

"you don't carry it loaded do you?"

"yep. One in the chamber, always ready to go"

"you've got to be kidding me. You're going to shoot yourself in the leg."

"that's the way I was trained and that's how I've practiced. I feel very comfortable with my gun like this and honestly, if it came down to needing to use it, I want as few steps as possible between recognizing a need to use and and my own self defense"

"well i still think you're crazy and that you're going to shoot yourself. I always carry empty chamber."

"you're entitled to your opinion and to carry your gun how you feel comfortable and i'm entitled to mine. Plus my holster protects my gun quite nicely." (I use a Serpa II)

Ultimately, the biggest thing to keep in mind is, if you're going to carry with one in the chamber, make sure your comfortable with PROPER draw technique and that you're ALWAYS aware of where the barrel is facing. I know they're common sense, but they're that important that they always bare repeating.

In response to what the old guy said, most of us wouldn't unholster our guns and just start waving it around. We put our hand on our gun, assess the situation, draw our gun in the direction of our target, we fire if necessary, then reholster. Any other steps in there usually involve the barrel pointed at the ground. Either way, I think the old man's fear is unfounded, but as with my uncle, he is entitled to his own opinion.

(Lancaster County)

I agree, but I think the media and public would crucify that carrier and the carrying population in general, not so much the gun manufacturer. If some little girl/ boy/ mom/ dad/ etc was killed by a concealed carrier I would imagine there would be BAD things to follow. And just imagine trying to sleep at night knowing what you or your weapon did.

I'm reading my own posts thinking man I sound against carrying 1 int he chamber, but I guess I am just looking at this from both sides.
    Try to imagine a simple scenario when you need to use your firearm, but one of your hands is immobilized so you cannot rack the slide. Have you practiced alternative methods of racking? Are you proficient enough in doing so that you could do it, perfectly, every time in an emergency situation?

(Fayette County)

Try to imagine a simple scenario when you need to use your firearm, but one of your hands is immobilized so you cannot rack the slide. Have you practiced alternative methods of racking? Are you proficient enough in doing so that you could do it, perfectly, every time in an emergency situation?
    As I said before, I am not trying to argue if people should or shouldn't carry with 1 in the chamber. I know the risks and chances you are taking of doing both.

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast