Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: AK or AR?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK or AR?

Both guns are designed for a sustained rate if fire of 12-15 rounds per minute.

The AR will be more accurate at distance, and since you can't hump 20k rounds of either, nor are you likely to survive the kind of battle that would require that many rounds in such a short time frame. You are better off with the 5.56 as there will be more dead zombies with 5.56 than 7.62x39
    Voluntary transactions are the only moral kind.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee CO View Post
    "OK! I'll be more specific! If SHTF and I had to use my rifle for 30 days straight without cleaning which one can I depend on?"

20,000 rounds in 30 days = Firing ~667 rounds per day. Yikes! You are really having a bad day.

AR if you are professional and know what you are doing, AK if you are not.
    Gotta keep in mind I won't have a nice comfortable work bench with my standard gun cleaning supplies. May not even have tools to carefully take apart my AR 15 either. I will be constantly on the run from zombies.

Also keep in mind I may be in the jungle, rain forest, woods ect. Rain, dirt, and snow will be one of the many weather elements.
    Last edited by TB215; September 13th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee CO View Post
    "OK! I'll be more specific! If SHTF and I had to use my rifle for 30 days straight without cleaning which one can I depend on?"

20,000 rounds in 30 days = Firing ~667 rounds per day. Yikes! You are really having a bad day.

AR if you are professional and know what you are doing, AK if you are not.
    And if you are not a professional going up against trained zombies or multiple zombies your best option is to run, dig a hole and hide anyway.

So I say the AR still wins. Lol

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TB215 View Post
    Gotta keep in mind I won't have a nice comfortable work bench with my standard gun cleaning supplies. May not even have tools to carefully take apart my AR 15 either.

Also keep in mind I may be in the jungle, rain forest, woods ect. Rain, dirt, and snow will be one of the many weather elements.
    What tools? All you need to field strip an AR is a bullet, and thumbs.

Neither rifle will fire after a few thousand rounds without cleaning and lube.

The AR has killed in the jungles of south America and Asia, the deserts of the middle east and the cold of eastern European winters.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pitt45GAP View Post

The AR has killed in the jungles of south America and Asia, the deserts of the middle east and the cold of eastern European winters.
    I can probably bet you my next 5 years of paychecks that the AK-47 has taken more lives worldwide in the past 40 years than the AR.

(Cumberland County)

And technically the AR has a piston (the bolt in the BCG with the gas rings) its just an inline piston vs an offset piston

But I agree maintain a good quality weapon and it will run and run...

There are still 1987 Serial Numbered M4's in the Army being issued. with likely 80K rounds+ through them.
    You're correct. An AR is not a "true" DI gun, however, the more typical piston guns still don't shoot hot, dirty gasses into the feeding area which is why AR's typically need to be kept lubed a cleaned as opposed to conventional pistol guns that won't get NEARLY as dirty in the same places an AR will.

(Chester County)

From having both of quality I would lean ak. Not knocking the ar, but as I always says its almost apples and oranges

(Allegheny County)

I can probably bet you my next 5 years of paychecks that the AK-47 has taken more lives worldwide in the past 40 years than the AR.
    Not when it has been up against the AR...

Vietnam had more vietnamese dead than US dead.
    Next Engagement Desert Storm - More dead AK bangers than AR
    Next Engagement Bosnia - AR guys killed more Ak guys than AK guys killed AR guys.
    GWOT - The kill ratio is so unfair its hardly worth mentioning..

Most AK's victories come when its AK vs AK.... or AK vs nothing.

(Cumberland County)

Because it's been around longer, has seen more wars and are used by more countries. It doesn't mean it's better at killing. I don't think the point of his statement was to compare it to the AK, but more or less stating it's abilities to operate in a variety of environments.

Unless you're you're going to take down the extractor (The AK also needs a tool to take down the bolt itself), you don't even need a bullet to field strip an AR. I can get the cotter pin with my finger nail, and I don't have longer finger nails.

(Cumberland County)

Not when it has been up against the AR...

Vietnam had more vietnamese dead than US dead.
    Next Engagement Desert Storm - More dead AK bangers than AR
    Next Engagement Bosnia - AR guys killed more Ak guys than AK guys killed AR guys.
    GWOT - The kill ratio is so unfair its hardly worth mentioning..

Most AK's victories come when its AK vs AK.... or AK vs nothing.
    As far as that goes, I believe that;s more or less the people using the weapons than the guns. You arm the US with AK's and give the opponents AR's, the outcome will be the same.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast