Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New buyer, law question need help

Hello,

My name is Matt and I am VERY PROUD to be moving out of NJ and to PA very shortly. I have several questions and I was really hoping that some one would be able to help me.

Q - I will be moving to PA next week, my license is currently suspended for a speeding ticket. Will I be able to get a STATE ID with proper proof of residence?

Q- Is there a certain amount of time you have to live in PA before you are eligible to apply for a firearm permit?

Q - Will a STATE ID from PA suffice for being able to get firearm in PA?? If so for both Rifle/shotgun and handgun?

Q- This being the major question. I am currently 22 years old, when I was 16 I was charged with a few juvenile crimes...
    1- Possession with intent to distribute CDS (Marijuana) Less than 1 ounce

I was guilty with a year of probation and 30 days in a juvenile center.

- Q Will this prevent me from being able to purchase a firearm in PA?

I since then have been in no trouble and was accepted into a fraternal organization that is not easy to get into and requires extensive background check.

I GREATLY appreciate whomever taking there time to read, and respond to my questions and concerns and am very happy to be part of this excellent commonwealth.

Thank you again,

Best Regards,
    Matt

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: New buyer, law question need help

Quote Originally Posted by Mtoso View Post
    Hello,

My name is Matt and I am VERY PROUD to be moving out of NJ and to PA very shortly. I have several questions and I was really hoping that some one would be able to help me.

Q - I will be moving to PA next week, my license is currently suspended for a speeding ticket. Will I be able to get a STATE ID with proper proof of residence? I'm not sure about that. PA has gotten really goofy about ID's and DL's.

Q- Is there a certain amount of time you have to live in PA before you are eligible to apply for a firearm permit? No. You just have to prove residency.

Q - Will a STATE ID from PA suffice for being able to get firearm in PA?? If so for both Rifle/shotgun and handgun? Yes. Yes.

Q- This being the major question. I am currently 22 years old, when I was 16 I was charged with a few juvenile crimes...
    1- Possession with intent to distribute CDS (Marijuana) Less than 1 ounce

I was guilty with a year of probation and 30 days in a juvenile center. It may depend on how you were adjudicated. If adjudicated as delinquent you may have to wait 10 years from the date of conviction. If you were adjudicated as an adult and the record stuck - you'll likely be prohibited from getting a LTCF in PA

- Q Will this prevent me from being able to purchase a firearm in PA? Quite possibly, we would need more details on the type of conviction.

I since then have been in no trouble and was accepted into a fraternal organization that is not easy to get into and requires extensive background check.

I GREATLY appreciate whomever taking there time to read, and respond to my questions and concerns and am very happy to be part of this excellent commonwealth.

Thank you again,

Best Regards,
    Matt
    Answers in Red Bold above.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 14th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Knight,

Thank you for the time to reply. I was very happy to get some good news today. I spoke with a supervisor from the PICS department in the PASP and she ran a few different checks which gave me the clear for purchase. She said I would have no problem at all. Thank you and if I have any more questions I am sure I will come here to ask.

Congradulations on your pending release!!!! Get ready to enjoy FREEDOM like never before......
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtoso View Post
    Knight,

Thank you for the time to reply. I was very happy to get some good news today. I spoke with a supervisor from the PICS department in the PASP and she ran a few different checks which gave me the clear for purchase. She said I would have no problem at all. Thank you and if I have any more questions I am sure I will come here to ask.
    The good news is that you can purchase a firearm in PA. The no-so-good news is that just because you are cleared by PICS doesn't mean the Sheriff will clear you for an LTCF. I suspect all will be fine, but there is that pesky "character clause".
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    The good news is that you can purchase a firearm in PA. The no-so-good news is that just because you are cleared by PICS doesn't mean the Sheriff will clear you for an LTCF. I suspect all will be fine, but there is that pesky "character clause".

Correct.

Just because you clear legal hurdles for ownership/possession of a gun, it doesn't mean a sheriff will not find a person's colored history to be reason enough to deny a license to carry(concealed or in a vehicle) those handguns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

not to familiar with that, what does that mean? So basically i will be fine to buy but not carry?? what is LTCF ?

(Montgomery County)

LTCF = License to Carry Firearms.

LTCF is issued by the Sheriff's department. PA is a shall issue state and they have to approve/disapprove in 45 days. They may get you under the "character" clause.