Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default An incident I had OR Why today's children suck and I have my first grey hairs at 22

Ok so let's start off with this is not recent. This happened to me weeks ago and after mulling it over in my head for some time and taking time to really think about what happened and how I acted when it happened.

So here goes:

I was over my girlfriend's house and as normal I was carrying my Browning Hi Power. It was concealed because her parents are fairly anti gun. Her father is a sporting Fudd (Targets or clay shooting. Carry is for police.) and her mother is against owning guns.

Their house, their rules. That's fine.

My girlfriend, her mother, and I were on the couch watching TV at around 9pm while her father was out. We had had a nice dinner and were relaxing before I headed out for the night. All was well until out of nowhere front storm door starts being shaken violently many times and the doorbell rung over and over again.

My first instinct was to pull my shirt up over my firearm and place my hand on the grip as I advanced from the couch to the hallway facing the door and waiting. The firearm never left my holster but I was ready to draw if that door broke or if windows shattered.

The shaking lasted likely less than a minute but with the adrenaline coursing through my veins and my senses going into overdrive it felt like forever.

Eventually the shaking and ringing stopped and I advanced more up to the door after waiting a moment and looked through the peep hole. No one there. I looked out the window through the blinds which were down at the time obscuring sight into and out of the house to see a group of %!$@ing kids standing in the road laughing.

At this point I checked the other windows around the house and then opened the front door and stepped out onto the small stoop which leads to the driveway. The kids high-tailed it down the road spouting "f*** someone came out!" and into a house not but two houses down the road (Mind you these were like 10-13 year olds.)

At this point I was furious as all hell. I mean - when I was a kid we played ding dong ditch (or whatever they call it these days or back in your day.) but we never SHOOK THE DOOR AND POUNDED ON IT. We rung the bell and ran like hell.

We all felt like the house was being broken into and I can only imagine that if this were some other house those kids would likely have had shots go through the door and into whoever was dumb enough to be likely kicking on the door.

What I learned from this:
    1. I hate most of today's kids.
    2. When shit happens you really do kick into overdrive. I was able to keep calm and focused and be aware of both my surroundings and my possible target.
    3. Never underestimate the stupidity of children.
    4. Coming down from an adrenaline high really takes a toll on you. Practically nothing happened in hind-sight but the toll it took on my body was much higher than I would have imagined prior.

After I had calmed down and returned my shirt to covering my firearm I went to speak with the owners of the home the kids went into. In a calm and pleasant tone I explained to the father (who was the one who came to the door and apparently a police officer) what had happened. He assured me he would speak with his son and his son's friends about what they did.

Apparently he either lied to my face or the kids don't listen well because they have done it to other houses recently. Not my girlfriend's house though. I must have put the fear of God into them walking out the door. (Note: my firearm was concealed again when I walked outside and I didn't say or do anything other than walk outside.)

Thoughts?

(Erie County)

Default Re: An incident I had OR Why today's children suck and I have my first grey hairs at

good on you to be prepared and patient enough to wait to assess the situation
    live to ride

Default Re: An incident I had OR Why today's children suck and I have my first grey hairs at

I think you did fine. Next time go out the back door, or 2nd floor window with a Bucket of Water and let them have it!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Washington County)

Handled very well.

(York County)

Stories like this make me glad we live in the middle of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I have neighbors on all 4 sides, but the number of neighbors and houses is somewhat small. This Halloween will be our 7th in this house and we have yet to have a single trick-or-treater. Not one.

I'm glad it turned out to be nothing.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

Sounds like you handled it well... just be very careful when going outside a house to confront someone.

I agree that kids don't think much today, but then I look a lot of adults and then notice where they get it from. I think it is a symptom of our current society... a lack of forethought and consideration for others.

What did the GF's Mom think about having an armed individual in the house during an apparent home invasion? I assume she either knew you were carrying beofore the event started or saw your hand on the butt of the firearm as you went to the front door. Had any conversations about sheep dogs since? This scare created a teachable moment even now some weeks after the event.

(Northampton County)

Don't take chances, 100 rounds through the door. 7 seconds later, reassess

(Delaware County)

You handled it well. I'm curious as to what the GF's parents had to say about carrying in the house after said incident. Please do share.

(Monroe County)

In Monroe County we're getting another rash of kick the door in and pistol whip the people who live there.

Someone should explain to these 'fun loving' tykes what could happen if they lived in another county.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast