Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please

(Dauphin County)

Default Advice Please

I just found this website 15 minutes ago, so please forgive me if I am out of line here.....I am a frantic mother that needs advice on how to handle a delicate situation.........
    I just found out this afternoon that my 22 year old daughter purchased guns last year for her 25 year old boyfriend. They have been involved in a very volitale relationship for the past 2 years. Her boyfriend is bi-polar, and lives in his parents basement.
    Two days ago my daughter voluntarily entered a rehab facility after almost dying from the drugs her (boyfriend) gave her. My concern is that this guy still has these guns---in his parents house. I have been sitting here all afternoon with his mother's cell phone number in my hand, but am afraid to call for fear that she and her husband will not do the right thing.
    I want her to wait till he leaves the house and find the guns and turn them into the police, before something awful happens. I don't know these people, and I do not trust them since they have not been aware of what their son and my daughter have been doing drugs in their basement for God knows how long. I appreciate any perspective. Thank You.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Advice Please

The longer you wait, the more likely something horrible will happen....CALL NOW!!

(Luzerne County)

tell the police to get the guns.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

(Centre County)

Don't call his mom. Call the cops, especially if she "straw purchased" handguns, or if this guy is ineligible to own a gun. Yes, your daughter will also be in legal trouble. Tough love...

(Dauphin County)

I can imagine what straw purchase means, and yes he is ineligble to buy a gun and of course she knew that. I am trying to get the courage to call the police now. How much trouble can she get into for this? She is already going through hell detoxing and we are hoping she will be in this program for at least 90 days.............................Thank you

(Westmoreland County)

If your daughter purchased those firearms in her name and transferred possession to the boyfriend she is in violation of federal law.

If you contact the authorities under these circumstances it is highly likely she will be charged with a federal crime (straw purchase).

Since the boyfriend will also likely be charged with a crime for receiving the firearms, IMHO the best course of action is to contact his parents, explain to them that your daughter and their son are vulnerable to being charged with firearms violations and suggest that it is in the interest of both parties that the firearms be given back to you.

When your daughter is back on her feet, take her along with the firearms to a gunshop and either sell them on consignment or ask the gunshop to purchase them outright from you.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Polymyo View Post
    I can imagine what straw purchase means, and yes he is ineligble to buy a gun and of course she knew that. I am trying to get the courage to call the police now. How much trouble can she get into for this? She is already going through hell detoxing and we are hoping she will be in this program for at least 90 days.............................Thank you
    A "straw purchase" is when someone buys a gun, knowing it is not for themselves, but for someone else. This is against the law, and whether the person you buy for is not legally allowed to own a firearm or not, purchasing and providing it to them is a felony. This situation should be resolved as soon as possible. Putting it off will not make any of the potential problems go away, and continues the chance that something bad could happen.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

Good advice TonyF.
    If the parents won't play ball, see if your daughter can try to work a plea deal by coming forward herself (get a an attorney's advice on that first).
    If that doesn't work, ya gotta play hardball.

(Centre County)

If she knew that he was not legally allowed to purchase guns and purchased them for him anyway she is in trouble. What she did was is called a "strawman purchase". This is a FEDERAL crime. She is going to get into trouble with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE). Since you know this you must contact the police NOW otherwise you could also be considered an accomplice. She needs a lawyer NOW. It doesn't matter if she is in rehab or not. Get her a lawyer and call the police NOW, the sooner the better for you and your daughter. DO NOT drag this out, it will only get worse the longer it goes.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I wouldn't call the police unless you absolutely have to. They will just add to the things your daughter will have to straighten out later. Of course safety of others comes first. I would really try to get a hold of the parents first. If it's absolutely necessicary call the police, but be prepared for charges to be filed against her. This will mean court, fines and other hassles that will add to her stress and make her feel bad about her life. Of coure, despite all this I think calling the police is about the only think you can do.

I really feel for you, I'm not sure what drugs it was but i've had alot of friends that were addicted to herion and they got really bad. Some even overdosed. Luckily all of them got out alive and one is actually a fire instructor with a wife and kids. Your daughter has alot of life left ahead of her and i'm praying that she can fight this deamon and stop hurting those who care about her.

I found out a long time ago that this website is about alot more than just guns. There are alot of compassionate people on here. And alot of parents, some i'm sure have gone through similar things. These people have given money, time, and support to perfect strangers. If there is anything you need, don't be afraid to ask.

Stay strong for your daughters sake. She is very lucky to still have her life. You need to be strong and make sure she gets the help she needs.

I'll be praying for you.

-matt
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; March 6th, 2008 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast