Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Pt 1911 safety

Default Pt 1911 safety

I know it's been posted just thought it would be nice to share anyways. Just bought a Taurus pt 1911 despite bad reviews and the safety issue. Fully disassembled cleaned made sure parts matched up right and just generally looking over the weapon. All looked fine except the loose safety. Practically fell right apart. Put the weapon back together PROPERLY, and lubricated. Went to the range and got through 33 rounds before I squeezed the trigger and the hammer went to half cock. Next what happened is disturbing. Push the mag release button to empty then clear the chamber. Half way while racking the slide to clear the chamber the safety on the left side falls out along with the pin and safety. The weapon seems to fire good, no FTF or FTE's. Not to happy about Taurus customer service though. Won't send the parts for free but will fix it for free while shipping is on my dime. Over all the weapon looks beautiful and functions great as far as shooting and cycling. Safety is another issue!

Default Re: Pt 1911 safety

Three of the six PT 1911's I own had safeties that got a little loose. I added a little tension to the plunger spring and mildly recrimped the female side of the safety. No problems for me, since, even after a few detail strips. Ironically, the First PT 1911 I bought has the most time on it (approaching 9000 rds) and was built in '07, which is one of the years ('06 being the other) that the safeties were notorious for coming apart, has never gotten loose on me. Gotta love those MIM parts.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

I tossed the ambi before I ever shot mine. I have had zero issues with my PT 1911.

(Monroe County)

THe first letter of your serial number tells which year your Taurus pt were built, Taurus solved the loose safety problem in 2006, so your gun were probably built around 2005-06, in any case your PT has a lifetime warranty, call Taurus for a Fedex pick up and send it back.

My 2 Pt's were built in 2006 and 2007, not one problem whatsoever. N and
    z serial numbers.