Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: $209 Smith Model 10's with shipping included

Does anyone know if the ones offered all have the heavy barrel? I e-mailed them but have not received a reply.

(Lancaster County)

Tempted to order one , but I really dont need to add another caliber. Beside , afraid of what condition they are in being ex police issues. Who knows , if i find nothing at this weeks guns show and they are still there maybe i'll order one.
    No longer posting

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Tempted to order one , but I really dont need to add another caliber. Beside , afraid of what condition they are in being ex police issues. Who knows , if i find nothing at this weeks guns show and they are still there maybe i'll order one.
    Usually carried a lot, fired a little. The wear is cosmrtic. I ordered a 3" model 10 from Bud's that was an Australian police gun. The mechanics are in very good order. Maybe check and see if they have a return policy. With Bud's all you have to do is refuse acceptance at your FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Not to derail the thread but I'll be at the Lancaster one if that's what you're talking about, and was wondering what its going to be like size-wise. Haven't really been to one before, but was just curious, if you've been there before that is.

But on topic, you can't really go wrong on these for $200...
    1776 or 1984? - You decide.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by AK47sForAll View Post
    Not to derail the thread but I'll be at the Lancaster one if that's what you're talking about, and was wondering what its going to be like size-wise. Haven't really been to one before, but was just curious, if you've been there before that is.

But on topic, you can't really go wrong on these for $200...
    I live in lancaster and never been to it. I hear its a pretty good show so im going to check it out. Not really looking to buy anything but who kow what may jump out at me.

They guns look like they would be nice to own , but again i really dont want to add another caliber. 38 ammon isnt the cheapest and i wouldnt really carry it anyways ( love my 380 for carry ).
    No longer posting

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by ewrski View Post
    Is that the CMC 41 on the underside of the barrel that they show in one of the pictures?
    No, that appears to be a locker/inventory/stock number, notice how they do not show the left side in the pics?
    There is probably a billboard sized laser engraving on the left side which means no finish over the engraving and a possible rust issue later down the road if neglected.

And yes, this does affect collector value but as just a shooter, $200 is a good price.
    Unless it is a very rare piece import marks usually affect value since importers have went the quick and dirty route of making the marks in the worst possible place.

You will probably do just fine, I however would never buy an overseas police trade sight unseen.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    No, that appears to be a locker/inventory/stock number, notice how they do not show the left side in the pics?
    There is probably a billboard sized laser engraving on the left side which means no finish over the engraving and a possible rust issue later down the road if neglected.

And yes, this does affect collector value but as just a shooter, $200 is a good price.
    Unless it is a very rare piece import marks usually affect value since importers have went the quick and dirty route of making the marks in the worst possible place.

You will probably do just fine, I however would never buy an overseas police trade sight unseen.
    They only show the left side, and don't show the right.
    When you mentioned this I thought that might be the reason.
    I am not all that worried about it though.
    I am buying this as a shooter, and maybe to try my hand at IDPA SSR.

If I hate the import marking (assuming it is there at all) a replacement plate is available on eBay, Gunbroker, or about anyolace else that sells parts

(Philadelphia County)

My first handgun was a Model 10 and it was an ex-police revolver. It's been super-reliable despite its age and the amount of rounds throught the barrel. It'll be the last firearm I'll ever part with.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    They only show the left side, and don't show the right.
    When you mentioned this I thought that might be the reason.
    I am not all that worried about it though.
    I am buying this as a shooter, and maybe to try my hand at IDPA SSR.

If I hate the import marking (assuming it is there at all) a replacement plate is available on eBay, Gunbroker, or about anyolace else that sells parts
    You're right, I must have had a bout of dyslexia this morn.

But still, even with import marks, that's a good price for a good gun for sure.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    What does an import mark has to do the with the functionality of the Gun?
    Not everybody is a collector you know, some people just want a good reliable revolver to protect and guard their castle.

Colonel REx Applegate were one of the biggest Gun Collector there was and even he had some Shanghai Police and Hong Kong Police model 10's and 13's in his collection.
    Actually it wasn't the import mark on this particular batch of revolvers I had the problem with. It was the overall condition. Almost no finish, nicks and gouges in the metal and grips; there were a number that were barely passable mechanicly.

This may or may not be from the same batch I looked at. I just wanted to give the OPa heads-up just in case they were. As I said in my post, I hope I'm wrong.

Again, as for the import mark, not a big deal except for collectors. For those wanting a shooter, who cares. I just got a decent batch of S&W Model 13s with an import mark. Mechanicly pretty decent with a fair amount of original finish left. Some have the original wood grips. I got them right and can sell them right. A decent shooter .357 for not a nasty hit to the wallet for my customers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast