Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Recoil magazine. Should I be super mad?

Issue 4 of recoil magazine comes out tomorrow officialy. I will be in it in some form or another. Naturally I was pretty excited to have the chance to be in a gun rag. Even if my part is not a huge thing. Then I saw some of the talk online about this particular issue.

Originally Posted by Recoil Magazine Issue #4
    Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it. Mike Cabrera of Heckler & Koch Law Enforcement Sales and veteran law enforcement officer with SWAT unit experience points out that this is a gun that you do not want in the wrong, slimy hands. It comes with semi-automatic and full-auto firing modes only. Its overall size places it between a handgun and submachine gun. Its assault rifle capabilities and small size make this a serious weapon that should not be taken lightly."

I find this so utterly offensive that I am feeling slightly ashamed to be in the magazine. I realize my feelings on it may change as I just now saw what is said. My question is how should I feel about being in a magazine where the editor would say something like this?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Recoil magazine. Should I be super mad?

If it makes you feel any better he kinda apologized for it, claiming it was a misunderstanding.

I’d like to address the comments regarding what I wrote in the MP7A1 article in RECOIL issue 4. First and foremost, I’d like to apologize for any offense that I have caused with the article. With the benefit of hindsight, I now understand the outrage, and I am greatly saddened that it was initiated by my words. Especially since, I am an unwavering supporter of 2nd Amendment Rights. I’ve chosen to spend a significant part of both my personnel and professional life immersed in this enthusiasm, so to have my support of individuals’ rights called into doubt is extremely unfortunate. With that said, I retract what I wrote in the offending paragraph within this article. It should have had been presented with more clarity.

In the article, I stated some information that was passed on to me about why the gun is not available for civilian purchase. By no means did I intend to imply that civilians are not responsible, nor do we lack the judgment to own such weapons, if I believed anything approaching this, clearly I would lead a much different life. I also mentioned in the article that the gun had no sporting purpose. This again, was information passed on to me and reported in the article without the necessary additional context. I believe everything published in RECOIL up to this point (other than this story), demonstrates we clearly understand and completely agree that guns do not need to have a sporting purpose in order for them to be rightfully available to civilians. In retrospect, I should have presented this information in a clearer manner. Although I can understand the manufacturer’s stance on the subject, it doesn’t mean that I agree with it.

Again, I acknowledge the mistakes I made and for them I am truly sorry.

Sincerely,
    Jerry Tsai
    Editor
    RECOIL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRookie View Post
    Originally Posted by Recoil Magazine Issue #4
    Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it. Mike Cabrera of Heckler & Koch Law Enforcement Sales and veteran law enforcement officer with SWAT unit experience points out that this is a gun that you do not want in the wrong, slimy hands. It comes with semi-automatic and full-auto firing modes only. Its overall size places it between a handgun and submachine gun. Its assault rifle capabilities and small size make this a serious weapon that should not be taken lightly."
    If this bolded portion is from the editor's "mouth" then I do not respect them and the apology is hollow at best. He's an EDITOR, if you can't re-read what you wrote and re-think it before publishing, then you're not a very good editor or you really stated what you think.

(Lehigh County)

(Lancaster County)

It looks like they're feeling recoil from this.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    It looks like they're feeling recoil from this.
    Yes, they should be worried about blow back.

(Westmoreland County)

Tsai's apology was a lame attempt at CYA, and a poor effort at that.

In retrospect, I should have presented this information in a clearer manner. Although I can understand the manufacturer’s stance on the subject, it doesn’t mean that I agree with it.
    We are all pretty sure that his statements were clear...
    unavailable to civilians and for good reason
    technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on
    He even went so far as to use "anti" terminology...
    assault rifle capabilities
    I applaud every company that pulled their ads in protest.

(Washington County)

Yeah you should be IMO just sounded kinda anti civilian gun ownership to me maybe it just me

(Luzerne County)

on a side note... has anyone seen what the first issue is going for on ebay? Go take a look!