Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Handgun Vault?

Question Handgun Vault?

Does anyone know of and good handgun vaults that will last for a lifetime? Keyed or electronic. Double or single handgun. I was looking at the GUN VAULT series and the ADG SPORTS hand gun safes.
    -Any and all sugestions Thanks!
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
    - HMPM-
    - GoArmy.com

(Chester County)

Default Re: Handgun Vault?

I have a Gun Vault Multi. No idea whether it'll last for a lifetime. Mine seems to be working perfectly after a year or two of opening and closing at least twice a day. Still haven't replaced the batteries.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

I need to start looking for something like this. I lock my gun in my car far too often (work in Federal facility pretty often).

Size is the issue. I have 4 1/2 inches of heigth under my seat so would need front access.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

These guys http://www.center-of-mass.com/, have some interesting items, I have two of the mediums for my vehicles and they work ok for in the car when you have to go some place you can't carry. They won't stop a determined thief with bolt cutters, but hey locks only keep the honest people from stealing, if someone wants something bad enough, they are going to get it.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Fulton County)

Talking Re: Handgun Vault?

the 2 gun vaults u are looking at arnt worth crap to be nice about it

5 to 10 mins with a screwdriver will gain access to those 2 models you are looking at

The reason i know all this is? Because i just bought products to secure my guns

I bought a 30 gun safe. 800 pound that sucker cant come up stairs. So i wanted to keep my pistol in my bedroom upstairs so i started looking into handgun vaults or safes which ever you like to call them. So i went looking

what i learned was amazing!!!!

I went to a few local stores and looked at the pistol vaults

the gun vault link you have up. I looked at them! the door has alot of play when locked and there is a gap around the frame and the door! why is this a problem?

It is a problem because a flathead screwdrive in there and then "POP" why pop? because the locking device on this vault is junks there is a bar inside which the door locks on with a clasp. 5 mins + screwdriver= your guns are now mine!

And it was like 80 90 dollars

the others had the same problems cheep locks and easy to pry open

so when i was starting of gettin sick of looking i was in gander mtn when i saw a $40 dollar strongbox i took it out of the box and inspected it (yes i open stuff up in stores and look at it before i buy them sometimes) Nice i exclaimed to my girlfriend!!

electronic lock for fast access, hidden key access lock if the batteries dies pry resistant and locks with two steel bolts which run under the frame of the box which is quite thick.

i didnt get to look at all the vaults out there but of the ones i found locally. This was the best one.

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus...s/pds-500.html

got mine at gander mountain for $40.00 and is lagged to my computed table

(Fulton County)

Exclamation Re: Handgun Vault?

oh i just wanted to add this!!

if you get a handgun vault, gunsafe, gun cabinet etc etc Bolt it down so nothing will budge it!!!!

people need to learn to make these things non movable. If you can pick it up, so can a thief!

if u leave your gun in your car cause your going into somewhere you can not carry. I put a trigger lock on mine and lock it in the glove box. I keep the trigger guard in the the glove box

When you buy a safe or vault ask yourself can i break in to it? can i pick it up and carry it away? look at the way these "security products" are made! You will be surprised!!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fultonCoShooter View Post
    the 2 gun vaults u are looking at arnt worth crap to be nice about it

5 to 10 mins with a screwdriver will gain access to those 2 models you are looking at

The reason i know all this is? Because i just bought products to secure my guns

I bought a 30 gun safe. 800 pound that sucker cant come up stairs. So i wanted to keep my pistol in my bedroom upstairs so i started looking into handgun vaults or safes which ever you like to call them. So i went looking

what i learned was amazing!!!!

I went to a few local stores and looked at the pistol vaults

the gun vault link you have up. I looked at them! the door has alot of play when locked and there is a gap around the frame and the door! why is this a problem?

It is a problem because a flathead screwdrive in there and then "POP" why pop? because the locking device on this vault is junks there is a bar inside which the door locks on with a clasp. 5 mins + screwdriver= your guns are now mine!

And it was like 80 90 dollars

the others had the same problems cheep locks and easy to pry open

so when i was starting of gettin sick of looking i was in gander mtn when i saw a $40 dollar strongbox i took it out of the box and inspected it (yes i open stuff up in stores and look at it before i buy them sometimes) Nice i exclaimed to my girlfriend!!

electronic lock for fast access, hidden key access lock if the batteries dies pry resistant and locks with two steel bolts which run under the frame of the box which is quite thick.

i didnt get to look at all the vaults out there but of the ones i found locally. This was the best one.

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus...s/pds-500.html

got mine at gander mountain for $40.00 and is lagged to my computed table
    I couldn't agree more. The vaults aren't "real" gun safes. Mine is only there to keep my kid from getting in to it while I'm sleeping. The real safe is in the basement, and weighs (like yours) about 800 lbs.

Thing is, you can even get in to a real safe with a simple cutting torch or a decent rotary saw and pry bar. I'd imagine with a torch you could have the safe open in about 5-10 minutes.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

abrams.357

try going to www.handgunsafe.com tehy have many different models and they seem to be relatively inexpensive , they will fit betewn studs in the closet or somwemodels will fit in the center console of some trucks , tehy even make a few models that will hold laptop computers
    I haven't seen any other models but i have seen thes and they look sturdy
    ER2006

(Allegheny County)

I may just take some 3/8" plate steel and fab myself a car vault.

I'll use the same locking mechanism some Knack gangboxes use and make sure to recess the front access door. I'll pull the seat and thrubolt it .

I just welded a deer carrier a week before deer season that worked out just fine and got used a couple times .

Project for near future and I believe I can make it relatively secure.

Gotta find some plate. Lets see--- company has heavy metal fab shop--27 needs plate steel. Sounds like a match. Too bad I can'y draw it up and have them make it

Later,

Last edited by 27hand; December 15th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

I have a couple of the gun vaults. I use them a lot but only need to change batteries once a year.