Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Smile Help me decide on a 357 revolver

Title pretty much states it all. I have always been a auto kind of guy, but as of late, I find myself wanting a 357 revolver. No real serious reason, I've always liked them and have the means to add one to my collection. It will mostly be a plinker, although I may carry it sometimes, and I'll let the wife shoot 38s when we go to the range. Don't care about the size that much, my current carry pistol is a 1911. I'm looking for a 4" barrel, full size frame, probably used to fit my price range. I've done a lot of research and have settled on 3 choices. Ruger Speed/Security Six, Colt Trooper, or S&W 586/686. I'm looking for advice from those more experienced in wheel guns than I, which would you pick, and why? Although I'm fairly set on those choices, I'd be interested in any others that might fit my needs as well. Thanks in advance guys
    Last edited by 87hurricane; September 10th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Help me decide on a 357 revolver

My first handgun was a blued Colt Trooper Mk III 6". I carried that in a vertical shoulder holster for six years. Now I carry auto loading pistols but still like revolvers. My current .357 is a S&W 686 6" barrel.

I like the cylinder lockup and the trigger better on the 686 over the Trooper. Also I now prefer stainless steel over blued finishes.

I would recommend a 6" barrel for target shooting and potentially hunting.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Jefferson County)

All three make/models you picked are fine choices - but are really midsized frame guns instead of full sized. (Super)Redhawk, Anaconda, N-frame are full sized to their respective manufacturers.

If it is going to be a shooter/carry piece I pick the Ruger or S&W though. Colt doesn't make the Trooper anymore, so parts and repairs are going up in price. I'm not saying Troopers are bad guns or will go bad, just it may cost you a bunch of money some day. The Trooper can base it's roots to the .41 caliber frame like it's sibling the Python. But were built on 3 different frames. The I, J(Colt), and V. The I was more like an L frame S&W in size, the V was more like a K frame S&W in size. The J was like the I, but didn't share many parts with the I.

The Ruger Security/Speed Six and GP100 series guns are tough as nails. Great guns for sure. The Speed Six came with a roundbutt type grip, which makes it look more like a large J-frame. The Security Six had the more classic looks of a S&W model 27. The GP100 is like a child of that line of guns, and is the only one still in production.

The 586/686.. The 586 is a L-frame gun with a K-frame grip size. I'm not entirely sure about the differences between the 586 and 686, but the both on the L frame with minor differences.

Me personally, I'd pick a 686. While they all are great guns - the availability of S&W parts and specialized smiths is much greater that the other manufacturers. Plus the assortment of fitted holsters and speedloaders are greater.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 10th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

The 586 is blued and the 686 is stainless- only differerence. I have a 6" 686 great gun. I should throw in the 581 are blued fixed sights and 681 stainless fixed sights. I prefer shorter barrels but I got an excellent deal on this one. I also recently bought a model 19 2.5" barrel which I am embarrassed to say I haven't tried out yet. I am sure it is not going to disappoint me either. I wouldn't throw out Taurus and older Rossi's either.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    All three make/models you picked are fine choices - but are really midsized frame guns instead of full sized. (Super)Redhawk, Anaconda, N-frame are full sized to their respective manufacturers.

If it is going to be a shooter/carry piece I pick the Ruger or S&W though. Colt doesn't make the Trooper anymore, so parts and repairs are going up in price. I'm not saying Troopers are bad guns or will go bad, just it may cost you a bunch of money some day. The Trooper can base it's roots to the .41 caliber frame like it's sibling the Python. But were built on 3 different frames. The I, J(Colt), and V. The I was more like an L frame S&W in size, the V was more like a K frame S&W in size. The J was like the I, but didn't share many parts with the I.

The Ruger Security/Speed Six and GP100 series guns are tough as nails. Great guns for sure. The Speed Six came with a roundbutt type grip, which makes it look more like a large J-frame. The Security Six had the more classic looks of a S&W model 27. The GP100 is like a child of that line of guns, and is the only one still in production.

The 586/686.. The 586 is a L-frame gun with a K-frame grip size. I'm not entirely sure about the differences between the 586 and 686, but the both on the L frame with minor differences.

Me personally, I'd pick a 686. While they all are great guns - the availability of S&W parts and specialized smiths is much greater that the other manufacturers. Plus the assortment of fitted holsters and speedloaders are greater.
    Last edited by 65mustang; September 10th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

(Somerset County)

I recently picked up a very well used ruger security six with a 4 inch barrel. a lot of finish is gone but it still locks up tight and the timing is good and the price was right. Its very accurate and feels good in the hand. I plan on using it while hunting (not as a primary weapon) so if it gets nicked up who cares. Its out shoots everything I have at the range and seems to have been used a lot but is still very reliable and accurate. Ruger makes good revolvers in my opinion. and usually they are a little less money.

Smile Re: Help me decide on a 357 revolver

S&W 686,586,66,65,19,617,517,60,36,34,29,629,& S&W 6906,3913,4006,1911,59,,Guess I like my Smiths more than Rugers but have over 6 Rugers also,sooooo 357s are cool !

(Philadelphia County)

I am biased towards Smiths and Rugers. 686-3 with a 4 inch barrel.

(Lawrence County)

I had a GP100 6" in stainless steel. I would buy another one with a 4" barrel if I had the extra money lying around... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Centre County)

I'm a big fan of Ruger revolvers because they seem to hit a sweet spot between affordability and toughness. S&W revolvers, IMO, have a better trigger out of the box, but they are expensive. Got the above 4" stainless from another member here for $350 about a year ago. Honestly, you con't go wrong with either a Smith or Ruger that looks good to your eyes and is the right price......

I'm not sure of your budget, but Smith is re-releasing the 586 and it...looks....glooooorious.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up S&W 627 Pro

Take a look at a S/W 627 Pro or Performance Center.

8 shot, moon clipped, sweet trigger, the 4" balance is very nice.

A terrific shooter. In a Galco Dual Position Phoenix leather holster... beautiful and a great carry piece.

A little pricey but as long as your lookin' it's worth a look.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast