Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Red face Tactical Training Courses ??

Ok, heres a question...

After many calls & Forwards from the Sheriff's dept.,State Police, A.T.F. offices, I've learned that Berks law enforcement groups do not carry out any type of Tactics/ Small ArmsTraining courses for the regular CCW Citizen.

I was told to call the local gun clubs about this issue.
    im not a member of a gun club yet. so this is for Gun club members,
    do you know of any tactical training courses one could take & after completion possibly become certified in the basics? get at me, ive been online and calling a crap ton of places still to no avail.

greatly appreciated,

Default Re: Tactical Training Courses ??

Quote Originally Posted by Raiphialus View Post
    [I]....after completion possibly become certified in the basics?
    Define tactical?

Are you looking for a pistol or long gun class?

And what do you want to be "certified" in?

The easiest thing to do to become "certified" in is as an NRA Instructor in basic pistol etc. etc.

Insights Training does classes out in Harrisburg, there's a few of us here that have taken classes from them and I think it was worth the money.

Check out the TRAINING COURSES SECTION, I'm not overly familiar with Berks county, but as I recall, there's not a whole lot of training classes available in that direct area, you're going to have to travel.

Here's a link to the class I took last year from InSights: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/training-...e-handgun.html
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Berks County)

ah,

Something along the lines of pistol training basics & then getting started in the direction of armed private security. Im interested in armed security courses where after having the proper schooling & training possibly becoming legit.
    but im prepared to take some kind of college courses in order to become certified.

thanks for the help
    "Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind. " - C.S. Lewis

(Bucks County)

Plenty of training near Harrisburg. Get in touch with:

http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

ah,

Something along the lines of pistol training basics & then getting started in the direction of armed private security. Im interested in armed security courses where after having the proper schooling & training possibly becoming legit.
    but im prepared to take some kind of college courses in order to become certified.

thanks for the help
    For a decent, very basic pistol class, check out French Creek Outfitters, and get a class with Brian. Then take more advanced classes later on. You don't need college to become a firearms instructor, most colleges are so anti-gun it's not even funny, so don't worry about that.

Regarding armed private security (not your regular armed security mall cop), you need more than just training, you need a back ground to go along with it. Regular armed security guards are not the same caliber of personal protection personnel. You should also look into the ACT 235 requirements and probably get that certification done as well.

I think you need to actually talk with some people that are instructors in those fields and learn the requirements. Send a PM to member TonyF and see if he can help you out.

Thumbs up Re: Tactical Training Courses ??

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Plenty of training near Harrisburg. Get in touch with:

http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/
    +1, that's were I took my class from InSights.

(Westmoreland County)

ah,

thanks for the help
    ACT 235 is probably your best option if your objective is employment as an armed security guard. Even if you attend classes from some of the more prominent trainers and schools across the nation, though their syllabus and curricula probably exceeds ACT 235 with respect to "practical knowledge and skill sets" learned, it may still not satisfy PA's requirements for armed security work.

(Berks County)

Ok, heres a question...

After many calls & Forwards from the Sheriff's dept.,State Police, A.T.F. offices, I've learned that Berks law enforcement groups do not carry out any type of Tactics/ Small ArmsTraining courses for the regular CCW Citizen.

I was told to call the local gun clubs about this issue.
    im not a member of a gun club yet. so this is for Gun club members,
    do you know of any tactical training courses one could take & after completion possibly become certified in the basics? get at me, ive been online and calling a crap ton of places still to no avail.

greatly appreciated,
    Ralph....
    My wife and myself are both going to be taking a Basic NRA Safety course (3 day course) in May thru the Muhlenberg Area Shooters Association (MASA).... the secretary of this range is a NRA Instructor and that course also gives you a year signup at that range too. course is $100 ...I will also use this course to obtain my FLA non resident permit. Very pleasant person to talk to and her name is Margaret Belcastro and can be found at the following Link in the club officers section.... She also told me she had other courses......hope this helps
    Joe
    http://www.muhlshooting.org/
    Last edited by Joe50; March 8th, 2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: add info