Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: FIRST AR

(Wayne County)

Default Re: FIRST AR

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    The Secretary of Defense McNamara forced the M16 on the Army and stated he was going to close the Springfield Armory. What McNamara envisioned were several contractors manufacturing the M16 rifle and even more vendors making parts and NOT having Colt with a sole source contract for the rifle.

As long as the rifle meets mil-spec requirements there is no best. (and some of these requirements are overkill dating back to the high rate of "automatic" fire with the early ball powder)

Ford during WWII made the B24 bomber.
    Goodyear tire and rubber made the F4U Corsair fighter.
    GM made the F4F Wildcat fighter.
    Winchester,International Harvester, Harrington & Richardson made the M1 rifle.

How many contractors do you think make mil-spec boots for the military?

There is a world beyond Colt and it exists, and some people get paid to advertise what they shoot.
    WTF does this have anything to do with the OP's question? More irreverent curmudgeon babble.

Anyway Daniel Defense makes a great AR15, as does BCM and Colt. There are a few others as well. Do your research.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    WTF does this have anything to do with the OP's question? More irreverent curmudgeon babble.

Anyway Daniel Defense makes a great AR15, as does BCM and Colt. There are a few others as well. Do your research.
    What it means is as long as the AR is built to mil-spec it doesn't matter who makes the the rifles.

What it means is the original Stoner design didn't have shot peened and MPI inspected BCG and components.

What it means is on a semi-automatic AR some of these specs are not needed.

What it means is I drive a Ford Escape and I don't need a mil-spec HUMVEE to drive anywhere.

What it means is I worked 38 years at a military overhaul and repair depot as an inspector and some of these mil-spec requirements are simply not needed on a semi-auto rifle.

What it means is my DPMS A2 HBAR is made to the exact same specifications as Stoners original design.

What it means is some people should read the history of the M16 and stop worrying about brand names.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    What it means is as long as the AR is built to mil-spec it doesn't matter who makes the the rifles.

What it means is the original Stoner design didn't have shot peened and MPI inspected BCG and components.

What it means is on a semi-automatic AR some of these specs are not needed.

What it means is I drive a Ford Escape and I don't need a mil-spec HUMVEE to drive anywhere.

What it means is I worked 38 years at a military overhaul and repair depot as an inspector and some of these mil-spec requirements are simply not needed on a semi-auto rifle.

What it means is my DPMS A2 HBAR is made to the exact same specifications as Stoners original design.

What it means is some people should read the history of the M16 and stop worrying about brand names.

1. Who cares what the original had. This is 2012.

2. Ammo pressures are the same. A Bolt that is tested is insurance, knowing it's quality whatever your cyclic rate is.

3. Thats you. Leave the OP to decide whether he needs a Hummer to go to Target and fight off the soccer mom hordes and snot nose kiddies.

4. Well I thank you for your service, but I'm sure you were proud to serve and dont need some random civilian thanking you. Back to the topic at hand they may not be necessary in YOUR EYES, but again it's relatively cheap insurance to know that things are in spec TO THOSE WHO CARE. Maybe not you, but I'm one who does, perhaps the OP does.

5. Great you have a throwback AR. I'm happy it's served you well. I and others want a modern one. It's 2012.

6. Knowing the history of a platform is great, knowing where it has evolved to is more important in 2012.

(Dauphin County)

1. Who cares what the original had. This is 2012.

2. Ammo pressures are the same. A Bolt that is tested is insurance, knowing it's quality whatever your cyclic rate is.

3. Thats you. Leave the OP to decide whether he needs a Hummer to go to Target and fight off the soccer mom hordes and snot nose kiddies.

4. Well I thank you for your service, but I'm sure you were proud to serve and dont need some random civilian thanking you. Back to the topic at hand they may not be necessary in YOUR EYES, but again it's relatively cheap insurance to know that things are in spec TO THOSE WHO CARE. Maybe not you, but I'm one who does, perhaps the OP does.

5. Great you have a throwback AR. I'm happy it's served you well. I and others want a modern one. It's 2012.

6. Knowing the history of a platform is great, knowing where it has evolved to is more important in 2012.
    Lets see, you said let the Op decide but you insult me for saying brand names do not matter as long as it is mil-spec.

My M1 has wooden stock parts made in two different countries, it has a Springfield receiver and everything else was made by Winchester, International Harvester or Harrington & Richardson. All these parts are mil-spec and the same quality so it doesn't matter "who" made it.

The MilSpec Definition
    Can a civilian AR rifle be classified as MilSpec?

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Arti...?id=2259&cid=4

I will also now misquote "Apocalypse Now" and say "I love the smell of burning rep points in the morning", in the comments block I said "curmudgeon this."

Have a nice day
    Last edited by bigedp51; September 10th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Someone needs to calm down.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Someone needs to calm down.

Lol! Any way Big ed I'm sorry you were insulted. Your rhetoric is maddening and muddies up the useful information people are looking for. You are obviously stuck in a time warp or something because now you are babbling about 1940s manufacturing processes ealier it was 1968.

(Mercer County)

Lol! Any way Big ed I'm sorry you were insulted. Your rhetoric is maddening and muddies up the useful information people are looking for. You are obviously stuck in a time warp or something because now you are babbling about 1940s manufacturing processes ealier it was 1968.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Luzerne County)

Just wondering..... Are all new Colt AR's fitted with larger pins in the reciever and other parts made just a little diffrent so as you can not replace them with "generac" parts if need be that you might get at a gun show? Hanna or no? All I got is the old stuff, like an SP1, and any old parts will fit. This is handy when you lose one of those small springs and pins and your old eyes can't find it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Just wondering..... Are all new Colt AR's fitted with larger pins in the reciever and other parts made just a little diffrent so as you can not replace them with "generac" parts if need be that you might get at a gun show? Hanna or no? All I got is the old stuff, like an SP1, and any old parts will fit. This is handy when you lose one of those small springs and pins and your old eyes can't find it.
    All new colt's use the standard pin size. It is my understanding the only made non standard pin sizes for a few years and it has been a while dice they produced non standard rifles.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by joe magarack View Post
    I am looking into buying my first ar rifle. I wanted some opinions on who makes the best!...What do guys think of DANIEL DEFENSE...?...When I say the best, I know everyone will have their own opinion. So how about like HK and SIG quality....in an AR...?????...Leaving out sig and hk AR'S.....
    Who makes the best car?
    Who makes the best tasting candy bar?
    Who makes the best wife, a brunette, a redhead or blond?

I have a DPMS A2 HBAR I use for target shooting and its a very nice shooting rifle.
    I'm building a PSA carbine for when the SHTF or a zombie attack.
    My son has a S&W M&P 15T and I like it very much, and he also is building a PSA carbine.

In my opinion the best bang for the buck is a S&W M&P15 Sport.

And at AR15.com they are having a shootout between a Colt and a S&W, and so far its a tie.

And the OP asked for opinions and NOT your opinion of the opinions, or if you liked the person giving the reply.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast