Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Do I need a PA Carry permit?

I have returned to PA after many years down in GA. I have a GA permit for concealed carry. PA has reciporicty with GA. Is there any reason that I need to act now and get my PA permit? My GA permit is valid for a few more years. The only reason I can think of is just to be proactivily on the up and up. Maybe a PA permit would make a LEO encounter go a lot more smoothly. I got my car PA registered/insured and got my PA drivers license within 6 months of moving here...like a good citizen.

Default Re: Do I need a PA Carry permit?

since you've already changed over all your info and someone will correct me but your resident ga permit is not invalid... you need to get a pa permit or use another non resident if you have one like az, fl, va etc...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysTraining View Post
    I have returned to PA after many years down in GA. I have a GA permit for concealed carry. PA has reciporicty with GA. Is there any reason that I need to act now and get my PA permit? My GA permit is valid for a few more years. The only reason I can think of is just to be proactivily on the up and up. Maybe a PA permit would make a LEO encounter go a lot more smoothly. I got my car PA registered/insured and got my PA drivers license within 6 months of moving here...like a good citizen.
    Couldn't hurt. I don't know the actual law in this regard, so I'm sure someone will speak up. Welcome to PA.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Delaware County)

You need a PA LTCF or you'll have to carry a map 24/7/365 to avoid 1000' of school zones

(Mifflin County)

One reason: Your GA permit does NOT cover you in a federally defined Gun Free School Zone in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    One reason: Your GA permit does NOT cover you in a federally defined Gun Free School Zone in PA.
    Does the same apply to out of state visitors carrying in PA on a reciprocal license? For example, an SC resident carrying in PA on a FL permit?

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Does the same apply to out of state visitors carrying in PA on a reciprocal license? For example, an SC resident carrying in PA on a FL permit?
    Yes, it does.

(Indiana County)

Regarding the federal school zone crap, it's doubtful that any LEO in the state would hassle you over such, but not impossible. State LEOs usually don't enforce federal laws where a state law isn't broken.

Regarding any out-of-state license/permit when used in Pennsylvania under reciprocity or recognition, the federal law says they don't count. In Pennsylvania it has to be a Pennsylvania license.

Regarding your Georgia license, since you're no longer a resident of Georgia, is it indeed still valid? It's something to think about before claiming reciprocity.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    You need a PA LTCF or you'll have to carry a map 24/7/365 to avoid 1000' of school zones
    Dang, I didn't know that. I just checked the map, my house is only 2,000 ft from an elementary school and I have to drive down that road to get to 1/2 the places I go. Thanks guys. It sounds like I should just go a head and get it. I was assuming that I had 100% of the rights of a PA permit holder. And I'll start calling it a PA LTCF.

I have been making sure to remove my firearms from my vehicle when I am not driving. My wife does not have a permit. In GA I read the law and believed that you could conceal in your vehical without GFL. She has had Basic firearms course. I havn't had time to research PA law fully yet, but from what I quickly read it didn't look like you could conceal at all in a vehicle without PA LTCF.

Thanks for the welcome. I am going to get PA LTCF ASAP,

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysTraining View Post
    Dang, I didn't know that. I just checked the map, my house is only 2,000 ft from an elementary school and I have to drive down that road to get to 1/2 the places I go. Thanks guys. It sounds like I should just go a head and get it. I was assuming that I had 100% of the rights of a PA permit holder. And I'll start calling it a PA LTCF.

I have been making sure to remove my firearms from my vehicle when I am not driving. My wife does not have a permit. In GA I read the law and believed that you could conceal in your vehical without GFL. She has had Basic firearms course. I havn't had time to research PA law fully yet, but from what I quickly read it didn't look like you could conceal at all in a vehicle without PA LTCF.

Thanks for the welcome. I am going to get PA LTCF ASAP,
    Or a valid reciprocal permit/license, but that is correct, a big no-no.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast