Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Retailer recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations on (relatively) local retailers with whom others have had positive experiences. I'm in northern Lancaster County and I'd prefer to purchase in person, rather than online, if possible.
    I'm not looking for any "female shooter specials" and am just expecting to be treated like any other first time buyer (i.e. I'm willing to prove I've done my research, but expect sales staff to be willing to answer questions and offer relevant information). I don't have any desire to be condescended to because I'm a woman and I'd rather not have to resort to bringing a guy with me to get a decent price or information that's on the level.
    (If it helps, I'm looking to purchase a semi-automatic handgun and would ideally like to find someplace I can return to for accessories, etc.)
    I'd appreciate any suggestions!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Retailer recommendations

In the LanCo area I've personally done business with Kerpers in Bowmansville, Shydas in Lebanon, Lanco Tactical in Elizabethtown, Trop in Elizabethtown, and Village Arms in Gap. From my experience they all had excellent customer service.

Then there is Gun Dealer Online outside of Lancsater. While the staff was friendly the one time I stopped in they barely had any products to sell. I'll have to try again sometime but I was pretty disappointed at how bare the store was.

And now we get to The Sportsmans Shop in New Holland. I'd avoid this place as the staff isn't too friendly and their prices are bordering robbery.

Again, this is all from my past experiences. Your experience may vary.

(Lancaster County)

Kerpers on 625 Bowmansviile. Great shop good prices and friendly

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Dave's Gunshop in Drums has a good staff that helped my wife and sister-in-law. If you have done some research and have an idea of what features you want, they will be able to get you set up.

Also consider how you plan on carrying the pistol and your wardrobe needs. My wife chose a Ruger LC9 because it offers a slim profile, fits her hand well, and is a 9mm. She and I occasionally plink a few hundred rounds at the range, so she wanted something comfortable to shoot.

My sister-in-law chose the LCP because she wanted a smaller package and doesn't plan on serious target shooting with it.

One of your best resources is PAFOA. Almost everyone here wants new shooters to make good choices that they are happy with, and that they learn proper firearms safety. A good choice for that is an NRA pistol course.

Kerpers, she will treat you right.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by toyfarm View Post
    Kerpers, she will treat you right.
    yes she dose just got my M&P 9 there a few weeks ago
    V-DUB Shop!DUBNINJA 82

(Lancaster County)

I have had nothing but good experiances at Musser's Outdoor in Ephreta on 272. Very friendly staff and willing to let you take your time with anything you choose. My girl spent a couple hours handeling a few different ones to find out what she liked. Good luck shopping and enjoy
    An Armed society is a polite one

(Lebanon County)

I've gone to Trop's Gun Shop in e-town and I tend to see higher prices there, both on used and new firearms. Priced an AR there and Shyda's and the comparison was a $400 difference for the same damn thing. I have gone to Shyda's and they seem to do pretty well with the first time buyers questions and concerns there. Force Gun Shop in palmyra I havent been to yet but I hear is okay. Shyda's has been my pick for the last three firearms though. Prices are very competitive IMO

(Lancaster County)

Well I bought 2 rugers at the trop a few months back and I got great prices and service. They will take good care of you there. And they will soon offer rentals and a range.

(Lancaster County)

Lancotactical (E-Town), Trop (E-town/Rheems), Kinsey's Archery (E-Town/Rheems), and Backwoods (Columbia) have all provided me with good service and decent prices. Shyda's is good - especially for reloading as they have more selection than most stores.

For transfers, Lancotactical and Bulleye Shooters Supply in E-Town have the lowest fees around. (under $25 at last check). They both order anything for a set fee over cost too. Bulleye has the smallest selection of the stores I named.

I highly recommend knowing the prices for some popular guns before going shopping (to price compare), shoot the gun (borrow friend's/rent) before laying out $$ and deciding you don't like it, and not overlook used guns as many come with lifetime warranties.

Also - CorneredCat.com is a great resource to narrow your gun search - and is geared towards women, but principles generally apply to everyone.

P.S. Surprisingly, many people will let you try their guns at a range if you seem responsible and sincere. Owners are usually proud of their guns, support others getting guns, and can give frank advice about the models. Don't be afraid to ask - especially if you bring/offer to help pay for the ammo used.
    Last edited by KMAG; September 20th, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
    Why do people fearing guns call persons with guns (cops) when threatened?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast