Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Smile New to PA...Any specifics about handgun purchases here...compared to New York??

Hello all!!

New Member here with a few questions.

I've recently moved into the area for educational/work purposes. I'm originally form New York State and I posess an unrestricted conceled carry permit there. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay here (as I said here for Educational purposes primarily). If I do I will have my handguns shiped appropriately.

The question I have is...In NY if I purchase a handgun from a private owner (friend, etc.) I have to go through a Dealer for the transfer due to the requirement for registering the weapon on my carry permit. How does that work in PA? I know that you don't need a permit if you are keeping the handgun in your house and are not carrying concealed. Is there any type of registry or need for a dealer for a transfer between friends or private owners??

Thanks in advance for the info!!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: New to PA...Any specifics about handgun purchases here...compared to New York??

Quote Originally Posted by DocHoliday_DVM View Post
    Hello all!!

New Member here with a few questions.

I've recently moved into the area for educational/work purposes. I'm originally form New York State and I posess an unrestricted conceled carry permit there. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay here (as I said here for Educational purposes primarily). If I do I will have my handguns shiped appropriately.

The question I have is...In NY if I purchase a handgun from a private owner (friend, etc.) I have to go through a Dealer for the transfer due to the requirement for registering the weapon on my carry permit. How does that work in PA? I know that you don't need a permit if you are keeping the handgun in your house and are not carrying concealed. Is there any type of registry or need for a dealer for a transfer between friends or private owners??

Thanks in advance for the info!!
    All handgun transfers in PA, except to/from certain family members, must go through a FFL or sheriff so that a background check be made and a transfer form filled out for the St. Police.

Since you moved to PA - you no longer have a unrestricted concealed license in NYS. NY licenses are legally void once you are no longer a resident of NYS. Keep in mind too if you're gonna move back to NY someday, any firearms you purchase here that you intend to take with you needs to be legal back in NYS.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New to PA...Any specifics about handgun purchases here...compared to New York??

For hand guns, yes, you still need to transfer them through an FFL - IIRC, this is due to the requirement that each person purchasing a hand gun be run through PICS.

There is no gun registry in PA, and they DO NOT "link" your LTCF with the guns you carry. You can even borrow a friend's gun to carry.

When you move to PA and bring your guns, there is nothing special that you have to do, since there is no registry here. Just pack them up in a "secure container" (cardboard box) with the Ammo separate and drive 'em on down here. No special shipping required.

Since PA and NY do not have reciprocity, but you DO have one of the (rare) NY CCW permits, you can get yourself a non-resident LTCF from any number of sheriffs. Center County is supposedly the easiest to work with.

(814) 355-6803
    http://www.co.centre.pa.us
    http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp

Hope this helps 'ya

(Chester County)

Read up on the laws...

http://www.pafoa.org/law
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Centre County)

Are you changing your drivers license to PA? If so, no problem, any FFL can do the handgun transfer between 2 people. Or you can buy a handgun from a FFL. To complete the transfer/purchase you will have to undergo the PA background check. If you do not have a PA drivers license or official PA ID you can't do it. Long arms are ok without a PA license, as long as you meet all the requirements of your state of residence.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member