Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default saiga 030 version shotgun

i was wondering if anybody has one? i got one person out of four boards to say they own one and liked it. thought's, opinions. thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: saiga 030 version shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by mpoppel41 View Post
    i was wondering if anybody has one? i got one person out of four boards to say they own one and liked it. thought's, opinions. thanks
    When deciding I opted for the non-magwell Saiga. And the 'creature I knew' gas system. (IZ-412NM) from Legion which I then converted the back half myself.

THIS is what you want I assume?

Those look a little different. Gas system, magwell, and sight radius. Also features a LRBHO according to Legion's site.

I really liked the idea of the LRBHO and the magwell type of operation. But then you cannot use drums. (Currently) And you can modify a non-magwell Saiga to have an aftermarket magwell and work about the same way.

If I was going to SBS the gun, - like KRINK short. I would be all over that gas block with an integrated FSB. The great unknown being the gas system - and how that is going to work when the gun gets cut down.

Here's what I ended up with. (Not shown, MD ARMs V-plug, rivet holes filled.)

(Allegheny County)

that's nice looking i like that. that's pretty much what I'm looking at now, so I'm going to order from Atlantic since they have the better price even though its from legion. one thing I'm going to add too my 030 version, i picked it up from rus military almost two years ago when i was waiting for an 030 model to be imported from a certain person, but that deal went south. thanks for your reply!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(Allegheny County)

That's where that one came from. (Atlantic) They put that version on sale for $899 and I burned a hole in my CC like 5 seconds later. Gun was here in like 2 days. Atlantic fuggin' rox.

I was on the fence about the magwell or no magwell. But I'm industrious enough to add one if I decide I want one. The LRBHO I would definitely like to have. But have enjoyed the gun very much "as is" so future modifications will happen when they happen.

My main deal was magazines with the magwell guns. I 'think' you can modify standard mags to work with the magwell guns. But I'm not certain about the guns that are both magwell and LRBHO. And I didn't want to get stuck in a position where I had to order magwell mags from Russia if Legion and others don't come through with a pile of mags at a fair price. As it stands, the standard rock and lock mags can be had for $25-40. If you want the Russian 8's... they are $100. And I'm just not doing $100 for mags. I like to have a few. And that makes stocking up rough.

I'm still curious about the gas system on the 030 guns. I know the Vepr 12's use an internally regulating gas system unlike the typical Saiga 12's. But I don't know anything about it. So if you do know, or as you start to figure it out - share here if you would. I'd like to know more about it as well.

PS: Nice stock! My ideal configuration would be the same one I have, but the folding version. I love how light this gun is. And I don't want to ruin that.

I will add one warning. Just because you spend near $1000 on these factory built less neutered S12's... do not expect Tromix craftsmanship. They are still the same Saiga's put together by blind people in Russia. Things will be canted. Rails will not be leveled, covers welded on with a bit of a twist to them, then drifted at the hinge to "pass" a function check. Mine required near complete disassembly, pounding, and drifting of the entire RSB to get it to be straight at all with the gun. Then because of the way it was welded... the BCG slammed it back out of alignment after the first shot. So I had to oversize the barrel pin hole and use a tapered pin to keep things from rolling around with each shot. All the ports were perfect in the gas block however. But it would not cycle low brass for shit even after all the internals were polished and surfaces relieved. It took the booster piston and MD Arms plug to get it to function. And now it runs well. But it was not - what you would expect when you plunk down near double what the average S12 used to cost. Be warned.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; September 7th, 2012 at 05:18 PM.