Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about gun purchase

Hello!

2 years ago, I lived in Atlanta. At the time, I bought a gun, but because I still had a PA license, technically I couldn't pick it up at the FFL. The FFL told me to have my GF, who was a GA resident actually purchase the gun.

I'm no longer with the girl, and have since moved back to PA. How can I go about putting the gun in my name, since I no longer even speak to this girl?

Thanks!

Tyler

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Question about gun purchase

there's no registration in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. No need to 'Put it into your name'.

Ok great! Thanks.

Next question. What if I were to sell it? I sort of want to downsize and go subcompact for concealed carry purposes, as a P226 is a bit large to lug around. Any issue selling it?

Thanks again!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by tydaddy View Post
    Ok great! Thanks.

Next question. What if I were to sell it? I sort of want to downsize and go subcompact for concealed carry purposes, as a P226 is a bit large to lug around. Any issue selling it?

Thanks again!
    No.

It just has to be transferred at a FFL or Sheriff to another PA resident. If you sell it to a resident of another state, it must be delivered to a FFL in the buyer's home state to complete the transfer.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Awesome!

Thanks so much for the info!

(Montgomery County)

Just trying to make sure we're all on the same page here.

You lived in GA for two years but you never changed your permanent address and kept your PA driver's license. You wanted to purchase a handgun but since you're not a GA resident, you asked your girlfriend at the time to purchase the gun for you? You are no longer with her and you moved back to PA and transported the firearm with you across state lines.

Yes. I was a student.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Just trying to make sure we're all on the same page here.

You lived in GA for two years but you never changed your permanent address and kept your PA driver's license. You wanted to purchase a handgun but since you're not a GA resident, you asked your girlfriend at the time to purchase the gun for you? You are no longer with her and you moved back to PA and transported the firearm with you across state lines.
    I see where you are going with that..

Residency isn't completely determined by where your ID says you are from. Where-ever you are living is where you are a resident of for federal law. Its just that properly addressed ID helps you prove that.

I really don't see anything wrong with his original post. Yeah, it looks sorta like a strawpurchase, but the FFL probably didn't take into consideration the OP's actual place of residency.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Strawpurchase? Sorry for the ignorance!

(Montgomery County)

So, when your girlfriend filled out the form 4473 and answered question 11a, she knowing falsified an answer on a federal document. She would be considered a "straw purchaser" since she never intended to keep the firearm and transferred it to you. It does not matter who pays for the firearm, the firearm belongs to the person that filled out that form (there are exceptions but none that are for boyfriends)

It looks like GA law allows for private transfer of handguns.

Knight me be right about residency not being determined by ID but isn't this what the FFL uses to do a background check?

Q: Can I sell or purchase a firearm from someone other than a dealer? What about a background check in this instance?
    A: Private sales of firearms between individual citizens are legal and do not require background checks. You are allowed to sell your private property to anyone of your choosing, unless the individual is ineligible to own or possess a firearm. Knowingly selling a firearm to a felon is a felony.

Reference: http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/geor...ked-questions/
    Last edited by RXM; September 5th, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast