Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Hi Everybody!

(Delaware County)

Smile Hi Everybody!

Hi Everyone!

I'm Bob, long-time lurker- finally decided to sign-up and do some posting here. Anyone on here belong to DCFS? I used to belong to DCFS, but moved back to NJ for a few years and let my membership. To fill the void, I was shooting at a buddy's farm until about a year ago when he finally sold it so they could build McMansions on it, haha. Im once again in the land of the free in PA. So does DCFS still exist? Is it worth signing up again? Would anybody reccommend any other ranges in the area?

Guns I shoot:
    Handguns - 22lr to 44Mag (and yes, its a S&W 29)
    Rifles - 22lr to 8mm Mauser (...until I can finally afford a .50 Barrett!)
    Shotguns - 12 gauge (anything smaller doesn't hurt enough to get the endorphins going)
    Archery - once is get the compound bow fixed, i'll use that again, but for now its just me and the 110lb draw weight crossbow!

Just wanted to say HI! Hope everyone is doing well!

Take care!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Hi Everybody!

welcome back to the great state. I belong to dcfs its great the changed the rifle rule to 5 in a mag instead of just one. You sound like me shoot a bit of everything lol. They have an orientation class now though I never took it but it looks really boring. Hope to see you around sometime.

(Lancaster County)

Welcome back to Pa. New Jersey and Philly can eat it lol

(Delaware County)

Yes, DCF&S is alive and well. Membership is thriving and there's even talk of putting a cap on new memberships. The place is really packed on the weekends.

If you want to join up again, your best bet is to show up on a SUNDAY AM. That way you can fill out the application, get the required sign-off's (two members and a club officer need to sign. Ask the guys in the clubhouse, most will be happy to do it), and take the orientation which starts around Noon and takes a little under 2 hrs. You'll visit each range and get an overview of the rules that apply to them. Bring hearing protection and dress appropriately for the weather.

Depending on how long ago your membership lapsed, you might not have to re-pay the initiation fee. Also, the fees for new members pro-rated for the rest of the year so you won't have to pay an entire year's fee even though there are only 4 months left.
    Last edited by jbrower; September 5th, 2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Gave bad info RE: Sunday vs Saturday

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post
    Yes, DCF&S is alive and well. Membership is thriving and there's even talk of putting a cap on new memberships. The place is really packed on the weekends.

If you want to join up again, your best bet is to show up on a Saturday AM. That way you can fill out the application, get the required sign-off's (two members and a club officer need to sign. Ask the guys in the clubhouse, most will be happy to do it), and take the orientation which starts around Noon and takes a little under 2 hrs. You'll visit each range and get an overview of the rules that apply to them. Bring hearing protection and dress appropriately for the weather.

Depending on how long ago your membership lapsed, you might not have to re-pay the initiation fee. Also, the fees for new members pro-rated for the rest of the year so you won't have to pay an entire year's fee even though there are only 4 months left.
    I think you meant SUNDAY, the day for orientation at the club and starts closer to 12:30.

(Delaware County)

Smile Re: Hi Everybody!

Awesome! The 5 in the rifle instead of just 1 is welcome news! I always felt weird loading up a mag with just 1 round in it.... kinda defeats the purpose of the magazine, and how the heck would you do that with a garand? I'll have to come out either this Sunday or the next and get squared away. I loved shooting there before, (especially the rifle and black powder ranges) so I'll definitely have to sign up again. Even if I have to pay the initiation fee again, no worries because I know the money goes towards a great organization. And oh yeah, like mitch said NJ/Philly can totally eat it, haha. I seriously felt oppressed in NJ.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_harry44 View Post
    Awesome! The 5 in the rifle instead of just 1 is welcome news! I always felt weird loading up a mag with just 1 round in it.... kinda defeats the purpose of the magazine, and how the heck would you do that with a garand? I'll have to come out either this Sunday or the next and get squared away. I loved shooting there before, (especially the rifle and black powder ranges) so I'll definitely have to sign up again. Even if I have to pay the initiation fee again, no worries because I know the money goes towards a great organization. And oh yeah, like mitch said NJ/Philly can totally eat it, haha. I seriously felt oppressed in NJ.
    You may want to call (610 872 9728) during the week and ask for Stacy about the orientation. The size of the orientation class has been limited due to high demand and it gets tough to drag more than 10 or 15 people around the club. You have to sign up for the orientation tour now.

You can find me there most Sunday's at the table trap range.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Hi Everybody!

Thanks for the head's up soberbyker! I'll call tomorrow during the day and see what the availability is for this and/or next weekend. I hope to see you there!

(Delaware County)

If it has been many years since your last membership stint with the club, you may not recognize the new culture. Rules have been made more tolerable, range masters that never saw the front door of a charm school are no longer part of the fabric of the club, and the members are more than happy to help one another. New breed of range officers that actually are patient in explaining any rules and do not bark and make a scene for all to hear regarding minor infractions.
    The old clicks, which were perhaps overly complained about, nonetheless, do not appear to exist any longer. If they do exist, nobody cares.
    Last edited by c45man; September 7th, 2012 at 11:04 PM.

(Centre County)

I kind of wish they'd at least make the magazine limit at 6 for handgun and 8 for rifle. Or just make it 10 across the board. That way you could properly use a revolver with moon clips and use a garand, sks, or m1a or similar stripper clip loaded rifles. I don't think there would be any negative side effects of this kind of limit.