Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I reload in my basement?

I'm extremely interested in learning to reload, but unfortunately, the only space I have available is my basement. I live in a 90 year old house with an unfinished basement, and the basement is kept dry by use of internal french drains (sump pit in the coal cellar). Because of the french drains, there is always alot of moisture present in the basement, and it can become quite dank/humid during certain times of year like late summer. I learned previously to beware of the moisture when a shotgun I had stored in the basement began to rust. Do you think I could get away with setting up a reloading bench complete with supplies in this environment if I purchased a decent dehumidifier to run nearby, or is this environment simply too toxic to the chemicals/materials needed for safe reloading?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Can I reload in my basement?

It is so strange that you should ask this question. I live in a 40 year old house that has the same isuses. I keep my firearms in the safe in the basement with a "goldenrod" running in the safe, as well a dehumidifier running to keep the humidity at a manageable level. I also run an exhuast fan to pull some of the damp air out. My powder I keep sealed in cabinets, and the primers I keep in Tupperware containers with little packets of dessicant gel. I'm Confident that I can keep the humidity at a reasonable level and keep my components viable. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to. You could go so far as to store the powder and primers in a airtight footlocker with a large container to dessicant. That would do it nicely. Just package everything up nicely and put it away when you are done. This will have the added benefit of keeping your reloading table tidy (well....you'll have a chance at least).

(Lancaster County)

I have some of my guns in storage in the basement and had the same issue. I have a dehumidifier that runs non stop in my basement to prevent this from happening. Along with coating the weapons down there liberally in oil, it prevents them from rusting. I would not turn the dehumidifier off in my basement if I reloaded down there. Not to mention I would actually probably buy another dehumidifier...Just me though...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    I'm extremely interested in learning to reload, but unfortunately, the only space I have available is my basement. I live in a 90 year old house with an unfinished basement, and the basement is kept dry by use of internal french drains (sump pit in the coal cellar). Because of the french drains, there is always alot of moisture present in the basement, and it can become quite dank/humid during certain times of year like late summer. I learned previously to beware of the moisture when a shotgun I had stored in the basement began to rust. Do you think I could get away with setting up a reloading bench complete with supplies in this environment if I purchased a decent dehumidifier to run nearby, or is this environment simply too toxic to the chemicals/materials needed for safe reloading?
    The basement of my parents home where I did my reloading as a teenager, sounds just like yours. Although the dehumidifier helped, I think a larger one may have been needed, plus the home did not have AC.

High prolonged temperatures are the real killer of propellants, and excessive moisture does not help; primers either. I can't say I ever had any issues during those years, aside from some rust on the can tops, and tooling. Just a tip, but I have not found a better long term, very tenacious steel preservative than Lee Liquid ALOX. The ALOX part is what Ziebart used for coatings, and this LLA dries to a soft, waxy coating. Very little is needed, and it truly works wonders. I even coat my non stainless carry guns with it, and despite direct sweaty skin contact, no rust.

I think a bigger issue for me was all the damn spiders building their homes in my gear and components . I hope you pursue your desire to reload, and think you will really be glad you did. Good luck!

(Juniata County)

The basement of my 100+ year old house is dirt floor, only partially excavated, wet, cold, damp, etc.... I do run a dehumidifier but I decided against using it for reloading. (I do, however, tumble my cases down there.) Humidity levels range from 20 to 85 percent throughout the year, even with the dehumidifier running.

I instead went for a portable setup. I mounted my presses to 3/4 inch plywood and clamp it down to an old desk in my office when I want to reload. For the price of all my reloading stuff, I'd rather not chance it in a humid environment.

If your basement is questionable, you may want to try a portable setup instead.

(Monroe County)

You can always knock together a small room with an elevated floor. A small area is easier to maintain.

(Westmoreland County)

I second the small enclosed room in the basement idea. Just frame in a corner with a floor 8x8 ,8x10 ect.. Add moisture resistant dry wall on exterior and paint, vapor barrier(both sides of studding and some drywall on the interior and run a small dehumidifier. Put up some shelving and design the bench right into the wall studs and you have yourself a nice little mini man cave/ reloading room.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    You can always knock together a small room with an elevated floor. A small area is easier to maintain.
    I also agree with this statment right here. Technically all you would need is a raised floor and some plastic drop cloths and some sort of frame material to hold the plastic. Then it would be easy to tear down if you needed to move it in a hurry and it would still be somewhat climate controlled. Dont forget to invest in some good air tight storage boxes too, those help with storing powder and tools/dies/etc...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Clarion County)

Reloaded in basement for many years, old farm house. I keep equipment that I can boxed. Ammo cans work great. Add some of those little packs that absorb moisture, I Keep one or two in the die box's. Don't store primers in sealed box's, potential hazard in fire. Have primers more than a few years old that I've kept in sealed plastic freezer bags. Also have homemade covers I put over each press. Don't skimp on lighting. Have moved out to a small addition on the garage, my manhole. Unheated except when in use, but have kept up my storage protocol I learned in my basement. No problems.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    ^^^This is probably the best idea if you can manage it.

Dies are rust magnets. Even in very low humidity environments those things seem to always find a way to get a little rust on them. If you could build a small room in there - nothing fancy, just 2x4s and plywood would work (though make sure to use treated lumber as a baseplate if you go that route!!!), you could probably control the humidity pretty easily with a dehumidifier. By the way, if you plan on running a dehumifier 24 hours a day, get rid of the collecting bucket and run tubing directly to your drain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast