Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default 1911 - Short Grip or full for Commander

I'm thinking about getting a Sig Compact RCS Nitron 1911. This is a Commander size barrel length w/ an Officer's grip (7 round instead of 8). Primarily would use this as a carry gun and am thinking that the shorter grip length would conceal better. Are the shorter grip length guns that harder to shoot? I do have large hands.

BTW, I currently carry an H&K P7 but want more gun (i.e. want a .45 ACP and not a 9mm). Also, not a fan of a DA/SA, and do want a positive safety, thus the desire for a 1911.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 1911 - Short Grip or full for Commander

I used to have a Wilson ultralight with a commander's length grip. I sold it to fund another wilson pistol because I did not care for shooting it. Primarily, I did not like my pinky hanging off the grip. I now own a Dan Wesson guardian which is a bobtailed pistol. I like it a lot more and the bobtail makes it conceal very well. I think the ideal world would be a full-size grip with Wilson's "round butt" main spring housing. However, you would have to have someone like springfield armory cut and blend the frame to the wilson housing. Here are some pictures of the round butt on commander length pistols. The same option is available on a full-size. These were just the only pictures I could grab real quick.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=259903

Here is the actual part:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Mainspri...ctinfo/92BRBO/

I am pretty certain the modification can be made with the original MSH but the labor would probably run a lot more so why not start with a great part?

In any event, the bobtail or the round-butt really cuts down on printing. I carry the dan wesson all the time with a lot of confidence that no one notices it.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Are the shorter grip length guns that harder to shoot? I do have large hands.
    While I have average size hands, I find my RCS no harder to shoot than a full-size 1911. With thin grips on the shorter grip frame, and the alloy frame, it is a joy to carry and not bad at all to shoot. I have even used it for an IDPA match.

Enjoy, here's mine...

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Very nice PizzaBob what make is that? Im guessing NightHawk? Beautiful pistol though. How is the finish holding up?
    [SIGPIC]

(York County)

das- its a Sig RCS .
    MMH- you might want to look at the new sig fastbacks- my hands aren't huge, but they're large enough that I use bumpers on the mags of officer length grips for pinky support. The rounded butts on the new sigs would really aid in concealment while the full length grip keeps your pinky in play. Check out the Sig Nightmare Carry- very nice ( although I'd probably have to go black on the slide release/grip/thumb safeties. )

Thank you DClan. Im going to log off in a minute and at that. Beautiful looking pistol. Rep inbound.
    [SIGPIC]