Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle advise

(Chester County)

Question Rifle advise

Hey guys,

I'm heading to the Valley Forge Gun Show on Saturday and I'm looking to pick up my first rifle. More specifically, I'm looking for a 'sport utility' gun for fun at the range, SHTF etc. I'm new to long guns and I'd like to spend around $500 or less.

I'm thinking that for that amount of cheddar I'd be able to pick up some AK variant? I've also been looking at the Saiga rifles (also built on an AK platform). I'd love an AR, but it seems like they are closer to $1000+ and my budget won't go that far right now.

I'd be happy to hear any advise you guys have on what types of AK (or any other guns for that matter) I should look for. Also, anything to avoid?

Many thanks,
    PC

Default Re: Rifle advise

That's a Loaded question

You should have a good idea of what you want already and what you can afford. If you go the AK route you should be able to come home with either a Romy or a Yugo -- Both are decent in my opinion with the Yugo have the edge and higher cost.

You could go the SKS route and for $500 you'd be able to get a case of ammo with gun and still have money left over. Then there's the whole Bolt action route - Mosins, Swiss K31 - Enfields etc...

Like I said, You need to have a better idea of what you want, For $500 an AR would be out of your price range unless you decide to roll your own and even then you would still go over $500 for decent parts, unless you have a horseshoe up your ass and find a decent deal.

You may be able to find a CETME for arounf $500-600 but then a case of .308/7.62 costs almost as much as the gun.

If I were you (And I'm not) I'd go the AK/SKS route for starters.
    Recoil Happens

(Chester County)

For a first rifle... for pure fun...? Ruger 10/22 and then trick it out however the hell you want.

You can shoot it all day long for $30 in ammo too. It may even qualify as a SHTF gun. It won't over penetrate and you can put 25 rounds on target as fast as you can pull the trigger.

The mere sight of something like this, ought to deter any burglar or home invader.

Take a look in this thread for all the "tacticool" 10/22's. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=112771

You can buy a new 10/22 for about $200, a used one even less. $300 buys alot of upgrades and furniture for it as well as ammo.

Just a thought...
    Last edited by PisnNapalm; March 6th, 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I guess I forgot the link to the "tacticool" pics.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

The days of bargain shopping at gun shows are LONG gone!

My only advise is to REALLY check up on average prices of all of the AK variants (search gunbroker, and search the classifieds at ar15.com) before going to the gun show, or you WILL end up spending over what the rifle is worth.

An AK is a great gun for $500.

(Chester County)

If your looking at an AK or variant, look at the Saiga's, overall quality seems to be alittle better & generally are alittle cheaper the the AK's.

That being said, I recently picked up a Yugo SKS for $200 that was in great cond, a case of ammo (1000 rounds) will cost you another $180, which leaves you some money to either convert it (Tapco stock, 20 round mags,scope, etc) or you can just keep it stock & have fun with it at the range.

The ruger 22's are fun little guns with tons of accesories available, but to me, when I pull the trigger, I like to feel the gun, which you dont get with the 22's. Granted the 22's are about the cheapest shooters out there, probably followed by the 7.62 x 39 round

Like others have said, check gunbroker to see what the "going rate" is for some of the rifles your interested in, then you know the approximate value of somethign when you go to the show

Good Luck
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Lawrence County)

Buy a stripped AR lower for $99.

Save up $465 and build a Del Ton kit and get what you really love. AR15 for about $564.

Lycanlife'stooshortthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lehigh County)

i agree get a stripped lower EL guns sells superior arms lowers for about 94.00 shipped even look into gunbroker i justed picked up a bushmaster upper complete without stock for 325. deals are out there but i dont think you will get a good deal like that at valley forge.

(Centre County)

The "build your own AR" route for just over $500 is a good choice, and you can pay as you go- better than layaway.

Also, decent used mini-14s can still be found for $325-$375. Use the money saved for ammo.

I think Saigas also come in .223 if that's the round you're looking for. Saw them for about $279 last summer. Not sure what they're going for these days.

(Allegheny County)

There is absolutely something to be said about the cheap-shootin semi .22's. Nowadays, none of the non-corrosive centerfire guns are "cheap" to plink with.

A new semi .22 on the scene is that "German Sport Gun"; a German-made "MP5" in .22. But probably too new to make the scene yet. Certainly at least over here in West PA fun shows.

Here is some info..
    http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/vie...highlight=gsg5

There are also the WASR22's that can be easily found at Dunhams; true-ish semi AKM-47s in .22LR. Set up as blowback semis with an "empty" gas system but otherwise full-on AKM even down to the dimples for the magazine. Will accept ANY AK goodie meant for the stamped recvr AK - so you can dress these out almost as crazy as the 10/22. But... mags are limited to 10rds only, and can be jam-a-matics if the extractor is allowed to get too cruddy or loose. Once running, 10rds of cheap shootin AK is a lot of fun.
    Look here...
    http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/vie...ghlight=wasr22

IMHO, either of the above two .22s would be "exotic" enough to hold your interest - and their value - for some time to come.

And then of course there is the - yawn - Camry of .22's; the see-them-everywhere bone-reliable Ruger 10/22. You can go to town dressing them out for any kind of 10/22 imaginable. A lot of folks do - out of boredom.
    Last edited by nfafan; March 6th, 2008 at 11:39 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I'd get a bolt or lever 22 for cheap shooting and small game hunting.

A Mosin for pure "bang" for 80 bucks.

And a Yugo AK.

So far I have the Mosin and 22, I'm looking for a nice Yugo to complete it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast