Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Sullivan County)

Default New property owner hunting question

Buying 5+ acres in Sullivan co. I was told that I can not hunt unless I own 10 acres...is this true??

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: New property owner hunting question

not true.......
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Bucks County)

You can't hunt, but tell me where and I will hunt it for you.

Could it be there was something else you were being told?

Are there surrounding properties which may make it impossible to hunt because of being close to an occupied dwelling?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tguerr16 View Post
    Buying 5+ acres in Sullivan co. I was told that I can not hunt unless I own 10 acres...is this true??
    Depends on whether you meet the safety zone requirements.

Bill

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=575665&mode=2

Title 34

Sec. 2505. Safety zones.
    (a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title or to any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits), it is unlawful for any person, other than the lawful occupant, while hunting game or wildlife, taking furbearers of any kind, or pursuing any other privilege granted by this title, to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife or to discharge, for any reason, any firearm, arrow or other deadly weapon within or through a safety zone, or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof.
    (b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $200 nor more $500. A second or subsequent offense within two calendar years is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000.
    (c) Definition.--As used in this section the term "safety zone" means:
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2), the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.
    (2) When applied to properly licensed persons hunting with bow and arrow or crossbow and persons properly licensed for falconry, the area within 50 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence or other building or camp occupied by human beings or any barn, stable or other building used in connection therewith and the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.

(Sullivan County)

I meet the safety requirements. And thanks to the other poster but I will hunt my property myself but thanks for offering to do it for me.

(Berks County)

The 10 acre rule applies to hunting without a PA hunting license as a "farmer/landowner"...

(Westmoreland County)

The 10 acre rule I read something about this several years ago, and was there also a stipulation that a certain amount of your lively hood come from the land.

Thing do change I copied this from the PGC site,

Resident Landowner Hunting License: ($4.70) Issued to qualified resident owners or possessors of land, comprising 80 or more contiguous acres, which are enrolled in a Pennsylvania Game Commission cooperative public access program. Land must be open to public hunting and trapping the entire license year. Applicants must provide their PGC cooperative public access program agreement number. This number is required as part of the application process to verify the applicant qualifies for this reduced-fee license type.If the applicant does not have his/her agreement number, he or she should contact the PGC region office for their county.
    Last edited by hornady; September 7th, 2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: text added

(Monroe County)

Watch your safety zones.! 50 yards from an unapproved structure with a bow, 150 yards with a rifle.

keep in mind that you are not allowed to trespass to recover game, the closer to the middle of your property you are the better.

you can legally hunt on any piece of land as long as you have permission and it meets safety guidelines
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.