Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default High Standard shotgun barrel interchangeability

I have a High Standard K-1200 that I'd like to replace the barrel on but I can't find a "new" replacement. Does anyone know if a barrel from a different model would interchange? I'm thinking specifically of Model K-120 which looks like the same basic gun but with variations of barrel length and style, the action appears to be very much the same.
    Before I start looking at the used parts market could someone verify interchangeability or advise me of any pitfalls I may encounter?
    Will a K-120 barrel fit a K-1200? (I'm not concerned with length, choke or sight type).
    Is there a possible headspace issue even if I find a barrel from another K-1200?
    Is there any other info anyone can add to help me out?

FWIW, when I got the gun it was in real bad condition. It cleaned up nicely and works like a champ but the bore is pretty severely pitted, that's why I'd like to replace it. I'd like to keep the original configuration but if I end up with a 28" or 30" barrel I won't mind.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: High Standard shotgun barrel interchangeability

I'll have to research the barrels, but headspacing is rarely an issue with rimmed cartridges. Headspacing with cartridges the space on the mouth or shoulder is a critical issue.

BTW, what sub-model is yours? Riot? 20-6? 18-7?
    Last edited by knight0334; September 5th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I'll have to research the barrels, but headspacing is rarely an issue with rimmed cartridges. Headspacing with cartridges the space on the mouth or shoulder is a critical issue.

BTW, what sub-model is yours? Riot? 20-6? 18-7?
    Thanks Knight.
    It's the Riot 20-6.
    Now that I've thought more about it, if I get a different barrel I'll have to get a magazine tube to match the barrel unless I come up with an exact match.

I sent an email to High Standard but as of yet I haven't gotten a reply, I figured I'd try here in hopes of expediency.

The reason I asked about headspace is that the few places I actually saw a listing for that barrel (sold out) there was an asterisk with a note that the barrel had to be installed by a qualified gun smith. The Rossi and NEF guns are supposed to be sent back to have barrels fitted to the actions and I think that applies to shotgun barrels too.

If I don't find an acceptable barrel it's no big deal, it still shoots fine it's just that I don't want to have a gun with a pitted barrel. It's a pride issue or something, it doesn't apply to my cars but guns is a different story.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Thanks Knight.
    It's the Riot 20-6.
    Now that I've thought more about it, if I get a different barrel I'll have to get a magazine tube to match the barrel unless I come up with an exact match.

I sent an email to High Standard but as of yet I haven't gotten a reply, I figured I'd try here in hopes of expediency.

The reason I asked about headspace is that the few places I actually saw a listing for that barrel (sold out) there was an asterisk with a note that the barrel had to be installed by a qualified gun smith. The Rossi and NEF guns are supposed to be sent back to have barrels fitted to the actions and I think that applies to shotgun barrels too.

If I don't find an acceptable barrel it's no big deal, it still shoots fine it's just that I don't want to have a gun with a pitted barrel. It's a pride issue or something, it doesn't apply to my cars but guns is a different story.
    The High Standard of today isn't the same company. I think the company was sold in the '60s and again '70s, went defunct in the '80s and reformed, then sold again in the '90s. The existing "High Standard" company may not have any info on the old shotguns.

The reason why the Rossi and NEF/H&R's have to be sent back is because the barrel lugs have to be fitted specifically to a receiver due to variations in the receiver's manufacturing. The headspace is just a side affect of that. Thompson Center's Contender and Encore series have a bit better manufacturing process with a more consistent measurement between the hinge pin and the breech face - thus why they don't require it(which is why you pay more for T/C guns/barrels).

A replacement barrel for a pump action gun shouldn't have such issues. Replacing it on your HS would be like buying an aftermarket barrel for a Mossy 500 or Rem 870. And with the shotgun shell being straightwalled and rimmed, there are little hazards. The only possible problem you could have is slightly too much headspace and the firing pin wont hit the primer, or hit it hard enough. Or too little and the breech wont close all the way. .....which is an extremely rare thing with pump shotguns.

I'm gonna call around to a few shops and smiths, plus look around for ya.

Oh, the 120 and 1200 look to be the same... http://www.histandard.info/models/shotguns/pump.html and here for your model http://www.histandard.info/models/shotguns/police.html . But there appears to be different methods of attaching the magazine to the barrel within the 120 and 1200, and between the two models. Some guns used clamps, others use that end lug thingy.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 6th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Lebanon County)

Thanks again Knight.
    I'll hang in there for a while, they might get back to me even if to tell me that they don't have the info that I'm looking for. In the mean time this thread may prove to be my source. I'm not in a hurry and it won't bother me if I don't get a different barrel, just something I thought I'd like to do some day.

(Jefferson County)

Numrich's is out. Just below Numrich's, Bob's is probably the next biggest supplier of old gun parts. You might want to send them an email - http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/ . If they don't have it, they might be able to point you in a better direction.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Numrich's is out. Just below Numrich's, Bob's is probably the next biggest supplier of old gun parts. You might want to send them an email - http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/ . If they don't have it, they might be able to point you in a better direction.
    And again, "Thank you".
    I knew Numrich's didn't have them, that's the first place I checked.
    I didn't know about Bob's, I sent them an email and bookmarked the link, that looks like a real good go-to place to have on file.

(Berks County)

Another place to check is Jack First....they are just about as big as Numrich but unfortunately do NOT have all the parts and guns on the net like they do.

Here is a link: http://www.jackfirstgun.com/order.php

If you call the number they are very helpful on the phone and have had stuff that other places don't.

Good luck.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Jefferson County)

No luck here on a replacement barrel for ya..

(Lebanon County)

I finally got an answer from High Standard. I've already been told more by Knight0334 and 762xIan;

We don’t carry any shotgun parts any more.

Try Numrich Gun Parts 845-679-3500 or Jack First 605-343-8481

I think Gun Parts has some stocks.
    I still haven't called Jack First, that does sound like it has promise though.