Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Concealed carry reciprocity question

Hello all.
    I just moved from PA to Colorado. I have my concealed carry license for PA. I did some research on the local sheriff's office website but I am confused. PA and CO do have reciprocity but since I am no longer a PA resident I don't know if I am legally allowed to use my PA concealed carry license. So my question for you guys is: am I allowed to use up the remaining years on my PA carry lisence even though I am a resident of CO? I guess I don't really understand reciprocity. Is it just for passing through the state or does it extend to cases like mine. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I ask mainly because getting my concealed carry license here will cost around $200.

Thanks.

Default Re: Concealed carry reciprocity question

The good news is that your Pennsylvania LTCF is valid until it expires. The bad news is that Colorado only recognizes licenses if you're a resident of the issuing state.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    The good news is that your Pennsylvania LTCF is valid until it expires. The bad news is that Colorado only recognizes licenses if you're a resident of the issuing state.
    Any other States outside Colorado that go about business this way?

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I goggled it, didn't think it would be that simple

Illinois (IL) is a "Non CCW issue state".**Colorado (CO), Michigan (MI), South Carolina (SC), New Hampshire (NH), Florida (FL), and Maine (ME) only
    honor permits from residents of the issuing states. (* Vermont, Alaska & Arizona, Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed. No Permit/license
    is required.) TX*** only honors AG issued permit from RI. WI**** Only honors VA Non Resident Permit. OH***** Only Honrs AZ Resident Permit
    WI***** Will only honor WV Permits Issued After 6/8/12
    States in red issue Non-Resident Permits. KS, KY, IN, IA, MD, NE, NJ, OR & TN have a very restrictive Non-Resident issue policies.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    Several, but I don't know which ones off-hand. You can probably find that info on www.handgunlaw.us

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    The other bad news is that your PA LTCF is good until it expires or is sooner revoked.

Under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses (i) a LTCF "shall be revoked" if the sheriff becomes aware of certain disqualifiers, one of which is if you are [(e) (1) (ix)] "A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state..."

So even though your PA LTCF is still good, if the sheriff finds out you are a CO resident without a CO permit then he is supposed to revoke the LTCF. If it's revoked then not only can you not carry in CO with the LTCF, but it will be worthless in PA and everywhere else.
    Last edited by twency; September 2nd, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Pike County)

I do believe "Resident" status is determined by your drivers license. So once you get the CO drivers license, your PA "resident" ltcf is null and void. I dont think the sheriff has to personally revoke it.

I could very well be wrong on the above. But with NY i had my "pistol Permit" and it is a lifetime permit. Once I got my drivers license in PA. I became a PA resident and no longer a NY resident. And NY does not give "Non-resident permits".

If I were you I would contact the sheriff office and ask if your resident ltcf can be converted to a nonresident one.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    I do believe "Resident" status is determined by your drivers license. So once you get the CO drivers license, your PA "resident" ltcf is null and void. I dont think the sheriff has to personally revoke it.

I could very well be wrong on the above. But with NY i had my "pistol Permit" and it is a lifetime permit. Once I got my drivers license in PA. I became a PA resident and no longer a NY resident. And NY does not give "Non-resident permits".

If I were you I would contact the sheriff office and ask if your resident ltcf can be converted to a nonresident one.
    This is very bad advice, IMO.

It doesn't matter what your address is, in PA or outside it, the permit is not "null and void" just because you moved.

PA makes no distinction between "resident" and "non-resident" licenses. Residents are required to apply in their county of residence, while out-of-staters can theoretically apply in any county or city of the first class, but all are issued the same license.

I strongly advise against contacting the sheriff about your move, because there is nothing to "convert", and putting him on notice that you've moved out of state and don't have that state's license obligates him to revoke your LTCF.
    Last edited by twency; September 3rd, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post

Moving out of State does not void the PA LTCF. While it technically could be revoked per statute, I doubt that it would be. You would have to obtain the CO permit before you'd be able to renew PA, but also keep in mind to renew PA you'd have to make a trip back here.

Unless you're in the military, Colorado probably already considers you a "resident." In which case your LTCF is not recognized there. You probably want to get busy on that Colorado permit ASAP.
    Colorado Requirements for Residency:

Own or operate a business in Colorado.
    Are gainfully employed in Colorado.
    Reside in Colorado for 90 consecutive days.

After becoming a Colorado resident, you have 30 days to qualify for a Colorado driver license and 90 days to register your vehicle. http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1177024843160

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast