Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default First IDPA shoot today; Blown away.

I attended and competed in my first IDPA shoot today at Lawrence County Sportsman's Club. I was blown away by the experience and the value of this sort of competition in regards to carrying a weapon for self defense.

As a LTCF holder and a near 100% carrier, I feel the obligation to fire my weapon at least once a month, closer to 3-4 times a month in actuality. This "training" I undertook was always at a standard range where drawing, fast reloading, and anything other than standing in one place and shooting the same target over and over again was disallowed. When no one was around, I might practice my draw and fire, but not very often and always with hesitation.

After shooting in IDPA, and experiencing the difference between static, single target shooting, and a course that allows you to practice drawing, moving, reloading both tactically and in emergency, presenting non threats with targets, presenting targets that are behind cover, all at different ranges and situations, I truly believe that this is an extremely effective way to prepare oneself for self defense in the real world.

If there's someone that carries for self defense and hasn't shot at an IDPA competition, I highly recommend it. You will learn where your strengths and weaknesses lie, and become more confident in your ability to use the weapon you carry.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: First IDPA shoot today; Blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketGenius View Post
    I attended and competed in my first IDPA shoot today at Lawrence County Sportsman's Club. I was blown away by the experience and the value of this sort of competition in regards to carrying a weapon for self defense.

As a LTCF holder and a near 100% carrier, I feel the obligation to fire my weapon at least once a month, closer to 3-4 times a month in actuality. This "training" I undertook was always at a standard range where drawing, fast reloading, and anything other than standing in one place and shooting the same target over and over again was disallowed. When no one was around, I might practice my draw and fire, but not very often and always with hesitation.

After shooting in IDPA, and experiencing the difference between static, single target shooting, and a course that allows you to practice drawing, moving, reloading both tactically and in emergency, presenting non threats with targets, presenting targets that are behind cover, all at different ranges and situations, I truly believe that this is an extremely effective way to prepare oneself for self defense in the real world.

If there's someone that carries for self defense and hasn't shot at an IDPA competition, I highly recommend it. You will learn where your strengths and weaknesses lie, and become more confident in your ability to use the weapon you carry.
    I would love to do this but just like ranges it costs money (unless you know someone with property)

(Pike County)

Kudos to you for giving it a go. In my opinion participating in practical pistol competitions is the fast track to effective gun handling. I don't know how many experienced shooters I have seen get their eyes opened at their first match, myself included. There is no substitute for adrenaline, and short of having someone shoot back at you (not advised =8^0) the easiest way to get that charge is to shoot against the clock with an audience.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I would love to do this but just like ranges it costs money (unless you know someone with property)
    It does cost money. $23 for a shoot and a reshoot, two chances at each station, ~$50 for the 150 rounds of .40 I shot, and the gas to get up there. (Not to mention the lost brass, as a reloader, it's super frustrating.)

That being said, experiencing it once is worth the $70 as far as I'm concerned. I learned a lot about my abilities there. Moving and shooting, for example, is something I hadn't really experienced. There's a technique to it, a rolling step that keeps your upper body in one place (something that marching band prepared me for, ironically).

I'm so much more confident in my marksmanship in a real world scenario now. I've found an IDPA shoot on each weekend of the month, and I plan on attending as many as I can.

On an off note, it's interesting how people treat these shoots. The person who invited me to today's is my boss. He shot his XD competition 9mm. I shot my G22, my daily carry. When I asked him why he wasn't shooting his carry weapon, he responded that it "was only a shooting game." To me, it was a way to build my skills and learn the ins and outs of my weapon.

(Monroe County)

It does cost money. $23 for a shoot and a reshoot, two chances at each station, ~$50 for the 150 rounds of .40 I shot, and the gas to get up there. (Not to mention the lost brass, as a reloader, it's super frustrating.)

That being said, experiencing it once is worth the $70 as far as I'm concerned. I learned a lot about my abilities there. Moving and shooting, for example, is something I hadn't really experienced. There's a technique to it, a rolling step that keeps your upper body in one place (something that marching band prepared me for, ironically).

I'm so much more confident in my marksmanship in a real world scenario now. I've found an IDPA shoot on each weekend of the month, and I plan on attending as many as I can.

On an off note, it's interesting how people treat these shoots. The person who invited me to today's is my boss. He shot his XD competition 9mm. I shot my G22, my daily carry. When I asked him why he wasn't shooting his carry weapon, he responded that it "was only a shooting game." To me, it was a way to build my skills and learn the ins and outs of my weapon.
    sounds awesome

(Pike County)

Yup, I guess there isn't any way around it, it costs money to shoot. Sad thing is that the cost of gas and ammo used to be less than the match fee, that is rarely the case these days! Here in the NEPA area there are a lot of local shoots, so maybe it is a bit less than for others that have to go further to find a match. I remember way-back-when getting in on a group buy of a pallet load of Blazer .40's that cost me less than $4.00 a box for ammo that made major. I don't think I can reload for that amount nowadays.

(Monroe County)

Might have to throw the stock connector back in my Glock and give it a go!

This stuff is a lot of fun, I've shot some matches. Never IDPA but, 2 and 3 gun events at local clubs. Same idea and adding rifle and shottie into the mix is even better.

That said, please dont mistake these *gun games* for qaulity training. Yeah, you get to draw, shoot n move, engage multiple targets, etc. All things that most of us cant do on our home ranges. Unless youre fortunate enough to own property or something like that.

There is no teacher, no instructors, not really anyone to tell you what youre doing wrong and how to change it. For the most part, if youre doing something wrong, youre gonna keep doing it wrong. Yeah, there are other shooters who are more often than not, willing to give pointers and *show you how to go faster and better negotiate a stage but, thats about it.

Its fun and a hell of a time, just dont mistake the two is all I'm sayin.
    Last edited by brownman; September 2nd, 2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    This stuff is a lot of fun, I've shot some matches. Never IDPA but, 2 and 3 gun events at local clubs. Same idea and adding rifle and shottie into the mix is even better.

That said, please dont mistake these *gun games* for qaulity training. Yeah, you get to draw, shoot n move, engage multiple targets, etc. All things that most of us cant do on our home ranges. Unless youre fortunate enough to own property or something like that.

There is no teacher, no instructors, not really anyone to tell you what youre doing wrong and how to change it. For the most part, if youre doing something wrong, youre gonna keep doing it wrong. Yeah, there are other shooters who are more often than not, willing to give pointers and *show you how to go faster and better negotiate a stage but, thats about it.

Its fun and a hell of a time, just dont mistake the two is all I'm sayin.
    QFT

IDPA is not training it is for fun only
    IDPA = I Don't Practice Anymore
    common sense is a mf

(Lehigh County)

I agree mostly with the above, but, considering a majority of people I know who carry only manage to get range time in a few times a year, it was a good experience and one I recommend.

Is anyone aware of any more practical classes/training going on in or around the Pittsburgh area?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-courses-122/
    common sense is a mf

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast