Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: First IDPA shoot today; Blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    IDPA is the one thing you can do to Mentally Prepare you for a real life shoot senerio without actually having to be in one.
    The one? As in the only one?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    There are tactics and there are gun handling skills.

IDPA and USPSA help gun handling skills.

Training helps tactics.

Both are needed to maximize your potential to survive a gunfight.

That being said, gun handling skills are usually developed by hard work and tactics are usually developed by shelling out hard cash for someone to train you....AND....an open mind to evaluate.

All else being equal, the fastest, most accurate shooter makes the first important hole......and wins.

Lycanplaysbothgamesthrope

Absolutely agree.

Gun games are not training.

Gun games will not get you killed.

Now everyone can hate me equally.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    What do you feel is a better way to practice or reinforce what was learned during training sessions? I know what IDPA is but am not intimately familiar with it. Are there better options out there?
    I don't think IDPA is a bad thing. There is a lot of good that comes from shooting IDPA. First and foremost, shooting on the move trigger time. But, lets be realistic. IDPA is not a structured course with defined learning objectives. It's a game, a sport, a past time. Sure, there are people will learn from their mistakes on Sunday and practice on Monday. Then there are the people, who shoot IDPA, and make the same mistakes week after week and never get faster or more accurate. If you really want to get competitive with IDPA there are a few things you need to do:

1. Know the rule book inside and out
    2. Practice shooting from cover
    3. Practice shooting weak hand and one hand
    4. Practice shooting on the move - retreat included
    5. Practice drills that promote speed from the holster, speed on the reload, and first shot accuracy
    6. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.
    7. Again, know the rule book inside and out.

Most of these live fire drills can be done with a .22, you'll see some improvement and then switch to your primary competition gun to verify progress.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The one? As in the only one?
    Suppose to say "it is one thing" sorry about that.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Suppose to say "it is one thing" sorry about that.
    Gotcha. There are those who are so close minded as to believe that IDPA, since it says "defensive" in the name is actually the one true test of ones defensive skill.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Cambria County)

I think I'm coming off wrong. Let me try it this way.

I know that from the first time I shot at an IDPA course, to the last time I shot, I have improved my gun handling abilities 10 fold.

I couldn't hit a moving target once let alone multiple times for anything when I started. I do rather well now.

I couldn't hit multiple targets quickly and accurately. I can now.

I couldn't hit any targets while I was moving from one point of cover to another. I can now.

I couldn't reload without looking at my pistol. Or reload while I was moving. I can now.

I haven't had any other training classes during this time, so I have to credit my competing in IDPA for my being able to do these things.

I agree, there are things I'll never learn from IDPA. But it sure has taught me a lot if you ask me. But that is just my opinion.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

No, you are fine. Actually going out and shooting "a stupid mindset killing gun game" is more than most "accomplished" shooters will do. The more "tactical" you get the more bad gun games seem to become. Some people are just so damned close minded they won't shoot a local match. Shooting is shooting is shooting. Show up, shoot, learn, and take advantage of an opportunity to find out what areas need improvement.

(Montgomery County)

I am still trying to get someone to state what are the bad habits that you get from IDPA, that will hinder an average CC guy in an armed encounter.

No one ever seem to answer that question.

Draw speed, target acquisition, shooting from cover, shooting on the move, shooting moving targets, engaging multiple targets are all positives you get from IDPA.

What are the negatives, again not for some one who makes a living behind the gun, but an average concealed carry guy?

I am not saying that gun games are a substitute for training, but what are the negatives to IDPA?

(Allegheny County)

Negatives? Their rules are stupid, they do not allow carry with a weapon mounted light, they do not allow a mag pouch forward of the hip, they do not allow appendix carry, and they do not allow a slide mounted red dot sight at all.

It also takes 3-4 hours to shoot 100 rounds. Their down zero zone is huge and too low.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Negatives? Their rules are stupid, they do not allow carry with a weapon mounted light, they do not allow a mag pouch forward of the hip, they do not allow appendix carry, and they do not allow a slide mounted red dot sight at all.

It also takes 3-4 hours to shoot 100 rounds. Their down zero zone is huge and too low.
    Light - I agree, but I don't see how it hinders the average CCW guy most folks don't have a light on their EDC gun. Also there are low light matches where you do need a light (not mounted) and need use a modified grip with the light.

Mag pouch - how does that hinder the average CCW guy? BTW I have always carried my mag pouch straddling my side belt loop to help keep it in place.

Appendix carry - while appendix carry is some what en vogue now in some circles, it is not a very popular carry method, and it specifically violates the rule of not sweeping your self with the muzzle of your gun. Strong side carry is still vastly more popular and I don't see this as a hindrance to the average CCW guy.

red dots - how does this hinder the average CCW guy. how many folks have an EDC set up with a dot on it?

3-4 hours - yep but hey part of the fun is hanging out with like minded folks. not a hindrance

so if you appendix carry a gun with light and an RMR on it, your mag pouches are on the front of your hip, and you don't like hanging out with like minded shooters, IDPA may not be for you.

I have to assume those set of conditions do not apply a very large set of folks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast