Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default Rossi single shot .243

Mrs. Chaz recently passed her HTE course and we got her a brand new hunting license. She is going out for bushytails with me tomorrow morning for her first hunt. I was cruising the internet and figured I should check and see how much a deer rifle for her would set me back. Then I figured since my girls (8 and 5) are going to be hunting soon, if I buy anything it should be something they'll be able to shoot as well.

So off to gunbroker I went. I looked and there were 2 choices in .243 Winchester. One was a Rossi and the other was an H&R/NEF. Off to google! Heard good and bad on both, but the Rossi was talked the best about. Something about the groups are half dollar size whereas the new NEF's were more of a cigarette pack at 100 yards.

Off to the Gun Genie! Found a dealer through there, called them, and they said if I put in my order today, then it should be here by Friday. 1 week or less from ordering to sitting in my hands.

The gun has built in scope mounts, and fiber optic sights. So now my only decision is if I should keep the open sights or mount a scope. I have a scope lying around, it was a freebie in another transfer, or should I look for something else? Opinions please!

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Rossi single shot .243

I don't know about the Rossi but NEF you can get a youth but stock for the kids until they grow enough to use a regular length.

(Somerset County)

I guess it depends on how good the scope is and do you trust it to not fail during deer season?

A 243 should be scoped, it will reach out far enough that irons will be tough to use. I have a Rossi in 223 for my son, it has worn a Weaver V9 for about 5 years now.

Dale

(Somerset County)

Bought my grandson a Rossi Trifeccta last year for his birthday. From day one never could get it to group. The best I could do with it was about a 6"
    group at 100yrds. I reload and tried different loads with no luck. Also tried a
    different scope with no luck. Finally just traded it about a week ago for a
    T/C Venture compact. Now he has a rifle that will group 1" at 100yrds. My
    suggestion spend a little extra money. You get what you pay for. Also had to take it back to the gun shop the first week for light strikes. Found the hammer wasn"t dropping far enough to push the firing pin against the casing.
    Gun shop fixed that.

I'd love to have a single shot Rossi in .243. The simplicity of it, and .243 can reach out and touch some..a deer. I would definitely put a good scope on it. If your deer is in a thicket or brush way out there, you will have a 300% better chance of eating venison stew that evening.

edit: I don't have one because the wife has backed me into a corner...the don't buy another gun, or else corner.
    Last edited by harold63; October 12th, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Westmoreland County)

To go with a scope or open sights depends on the shooter and the range you'll be using it. If the shooter is proficient with iron sights and the range will be 100 yds or under why bother with a scope.

(Lawrence County)

I don't even know if the scope is any good. It's a 3-9x40 but I don't even know the maker. All I know is it's black... But the good thing about a .243 is if you sight it in 2 inches high at 50 yards, it's going to be dead on the money until you hit 250 yards... 6mm is the best caliber IMHO... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...