Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Why do most Cops not like/honor NR Permits?

Particularly the PPD.

I mean you have to go threw a lot of BS to get a LTCF in Philadelphia. If you got out of state and get a permit threw a Reciprocity state you get arrested your weapon confiscated, then released after the DA drops your charges.

Also why do they tell people you can get one "with a few clicks of a mouse". Floridia requires your prints be taken by a LEO, Florida & Virginia also require proof of training. Utah requires you take a class threw a Utah certified instructor. Arizona requires proof you've shown you know how to safely handle a gun. PA requires no of that.

Are they just mad people would rather give up $100+ to another state then $25 to them?
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; September 2nd, 2012 at 04:12 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Why do most Cops not like/honor NR Permits?

Because most cops have no idea that NR permits are valid.

Lack of knowledge regarding reciprocity I suppose though I would be suspect as to why a PA resident would have ONLY a non-resident permit. A out-of-state driver's license will bring about a lot of questions and even tickets if you claim PA residence and do not get a home license after a month or so. I have nothing against those who have ONLY NR's though most require proof of a "home" permit (i.e Utah). With the exception of Philadelphia, the process is pretty easy here in PA (i.e. no coarse or training necessary). Given the multitude of threads and problems with Philadelphia licensing.....I definitively understand why those in Philly take the NR route.
    Last edited by EandGWZ; September 2nd, 2012 at 04:37 AM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Because most cops have no idea that NR permits are valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    Lack of knowledge regarding reciprocity I suppose though I would be suspect as to why a PA resident would have ONLY a non-resident permit. A out-of-state driver's license will bring about a lot of questions and even tickets if you claim PA residence and do not get a home license after a month or so. I have nothing against those who have ONLY NR's though most require proof of a "home" permit (i.e Utah). With the exception of Philadelphia, the process is pretty easy here in PA (i.e. no coarse or training necessary). Given the multitude of threads and problems with Philadelphia licensing.....I definitively understand why those in Philly take the NR route.
    Yep. Most cops don't know the ins and outs of every law. For the most part they can get by without knowing every nuance. That and, from what I have seen, a lot of cops (but not all) - probably like most people anymore - only want to do what they have to do to get through their shift. Researching every nuance of every law takes much more effort than most cops I know want to put in for a situation they might some day encounter.

Also like EandGWZ said, if a PA resident presented me with an out-of-state LTCF equivalent my first thought would be to ask where their PA LTCF was and if it was revoked. This also adds up to more work on my part to see what exactly is going on. I personally wouldn't mind doing this but not every cop is like me. For someone not willing to do the extra leg work, they probably consider going through the effort of the arrest and making you do the leg work via a trial easier than doing the research themselves.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    my first thought would be to ask where their PA LTCF was and if it was revoked.
    First of all, that's none of your business. Secondly, it's irrelevant.

Any valid reciprocal license should be the end of any "is this person legally carrying" question you may have. The attitude you have towards non-resident licenses is the same as the "your license is no good here because it's from a different county" crap we see from time to time. ANY valid and legally recognized license should be accepted without question or triggering some "suspicion".

Persons are obligated to comply with the law, not your opinion of the way things should be, and should not be subject to additional scrutiny because they've done something other than what you personally prefer.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Indiana County)

... my first thought would be to ask where their PA LTCF was and if it was revoked.
    Whether one's Pa. LTCF was revoked or not is irrelavent when it comes to a recognized out-of-state license/permit/whatever.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Whether one's Pa. LTCF was revoked or not is irrelavent when it comes to a recognized out-of-state license/permit/whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    First of all, that's none of your business. Secondly, it's irrelevant.

Any valid reciprocal license should be the end of any "is this person legally carrying" question you may have. The attitude you have towards non-resident licenses is the same as the "your license is no good here because it's from a different county" crap we see from time to time. ANY valid and legally recognized license should be accepted without question or triggering some "suspicion".

Persons are obligated to comply with the law, not your opinion of the way things should be, and should not be subject to additional scrutiny because they've done something other than what you personally prefer.
    If you notice, I did not say I would follow up with this line of questions. I did say that this would be my first thought. There is a very significant difference between what a person thinks and what they do. Because it is so simple to get a LTCF in PA (except for Philly), I would wonder why a PA resident did not successfully go through that process. Does it matter? Is it any of my business? No and no. Would I still be curious? Yep.

Personally, I would love to see the national laws changed so that any permit is good in any state. Even better would be a system where we could exercise our rights without needing permits.

(Bucks County)

Also like EandGWZ said, if a PA resident presented me with an out-of-state LTCF equivalent my first thought would be to ask where their PA LTCF was and if it was revoked. This also adds up to more work on my part to see what exactly is going on. I personally wouldn't mind doing this but not every cop is like me. For someone not willing to do the extra leg work, they probably consider going through the effort of the arrest and making you do the leg work via a trial easier than doing the research themselves.
    I don't know...I would think there'd be MORE paperwork for an arrest than there would be for a street cop to make a phone call...or have his dispatch make a phone call...to check the validity of the NR permit.

(Northampton County)

More paperwork - yes. More effort - depends. If only a call needs to be made its pretty simple. However, if the cop needs to research the laws he may decde it is less effort for him to just arrest you and maybe get overtime for the court proceedings.
    Than to take the time to do the research then and there. Its not worth it to me, but it can be for some.

Wink Re: Why do most Cops not like/honor NR Permits?

City Cops are not the most educated on our rights with N R permits,Or Just dont care and want to give citizens a difficult time.I once was in Headquarters and the desk officer had a sign on his desk stating Only Cops should have guns. He was an opinionated A$$ Hole,who never made his 20 !

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast