Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default New gun for a new shooter

I've been talking to my cousin about guns and self defense for about year or so now. I have taking him shooting a few times in that time. He told me tonight that he wants to get a pistol, preferably semi auto, and would also like to get his LTCF.

He wants an opinion on a nice afforadable ($300-$500) pistol that he can pick up, practice with, and use as an EDC gun. We are going to go shooting again this Saturday. I only have 3 pistols for him to try - and xdm in 9mm, a Kahr p9, and a S&W 686.

He likes the xdm from shooting it before, but doesn't like the price of a new one. He didn't like the single stack Kahr, and loved the 686, but doesn't want a revolver.

Can you guys give me some ideas for a good inexpensive EDC for him to look at.

Also, any ideas of what some things I should recommend for him. I have already pointed him to this site, and have recommended for him to train train train. He stated he is thinking about joining my gun club. What else?
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Washington County)

Default Re: New gun for a new shooter

Also, I really stoked because this is the first person that I have turned on to guns and just shooting in general. And getting him to see the reasons for getting his LTCF is petty cool as well.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Montgomery County)

I would suggest letting your friend try the M&P. Most friends/family that I introduce to handguns ultimately chose the M&P over the XDM, Sigs, 1911, HK USP, etc.

Another gun would be a Glock 19 Gen 4. The Gen 4 felt totally different in my hands than the previous generations and I'll admit that it is a really nice shooter. Just can't justify adding something to my collection just now.

(Lancaster County)

I'd say a Glock 19 or 23. I'm partial to the 19 and think it's perfect. Good luck and well done.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Another gun would be a Glock 19 Gen 4. The Gen 4 felt totally different in my hands than the previous generations and I'll admit that it is a really nice shooter. Just can't justify adding something to my collection just now.
    I definitely agree with this. Picked up a G19 a few weeks ago and I am hooked.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
    I've been talking to my cousin about guns and self defense for about year or so now. I have taking him shooting a few times in that time. He told me tonight that he wants to get a pistol, preferably semi auto, and would also like to get his LTCF.

He wants an opinion on a nice afforadable ($300-$500) pistol that he can pick up, practice with, and use as an EDC gun. We are going to go shooting again this Saturday. I only have 3 pistols for him to try - and xdm in 9mm, a Kahr p9, and a S&W 686.

He likes the xdm from shooting it before, but doesn't like the price of a new one. He didn't like the single stack Kahr, and loved the 686, but doesn't want a revolver.

Can you guys give me some ideas for a good inexpensive EDC for him to look at.

Also, any ideas of what some things I should recommend for him. I have already pointed him to this site, and have recommended for him to train train train. He stated he is thinking about joining my gun club. What else?
    I'm don't consider myself a "new" shooter anymore, but most of you probably would. I just got my first handgun in march or so...a Glock 19. anyway...at the beginning of the year...i was searching for info on which handgun to use...and this link (here at PFOA) was excellent in helping me choose...good luck http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/17...g-handgun.html

(Northampton County)

I have a friend who has a g19 and I enjoy shooting it. Accurate, reliable, shoots anything you put in it and tons of aftermarket accessories. He is actually selling it for $550 with 4 mags and some other stuff. I also really like some rugers. The ruger p95 is defintely in the lower end of your buddys price range and its a good reliable gun. If he's looking for something a little newer and along the glock or xd styles the ruger sr9 or sr9c is a very comparable gun in my opinion and a little friendlier on price. Just my 2 cents.

(Erie County)

The Glock may be a nice gun for some people. He needs to handle as many as possible, to see what fits him. I didn't like the feel of the Glock, and got the XDm. Don't be afraid of used guns. If bought from a reputable dealer he should have no problems.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Tioga County)

Have him try a Ruger SR9 or SR9c. Good guns at a good price. I carry a P95 but some find that a bit clunky for EDC.
    MikeP

(Allegheny County)

I'm curious as to why he does not like the single stack, especially for a EDC firearm? My concern is he is getting trapped in the round count marketing. 8 Rounds of 9mm that you carry every day is better than the 15 you leave at home because it's to bulky.

But ultimately he should get what he is most comfortable with.

I personally like the M&P line but I'm not a fan of any of the single stacks, however you can get the M&P compact for $450 + $30 shipping from http://www.gandrtactical.com. If you can get a $20 transfer in your area that is exactly $500.
    Last edited by QuackXP; September 2nd, 2012 at 08:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast