Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 100% failure rate with Keltec PF9

I recently bought a brand new PF9. On my first outing to the range I had a 100% failure rate while shooting. On every single shot the magazine would fall out of the gun. I tried multiple shooters and the same result. I managed to fire off 3 or 4 consecutive rounds, but only by forcibly holding in the magazine with my supporting hand. On the last round of those fired in succession the slide lock didn't engage because the magazine was still not fully seated into the pistol even with me holding it. It was in just far enough during the action of firing to pick up another round, but not engage the slide lock upon firing the last shot. I knew it was still not working correctly.

I fired roughly 30-40 rounds of Winchester white box 115gr FMJ. I do have it all on video, but I am going to refrain from posting it until I get the weapon back from Keltec to see if the problem has been resolved.

I will say though I don't feel very confident with Keltec products as a viable self defense weapon with my experience thus far.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: 100% failure rate with Keltec PF9

I like the size and look of the pf9 more than other compact models out but horror stories like this always kept me away from kel tec. I don't think I'd ever bring myself to buy one.

Good luck hopefully they will correct your issue.

(Berks County)

Everybody puts out a dud once in a while. Ruger has had to recall almost all the their new guns in the last 5 years. S&W, SA hell even Glock has come under some heat for the Gen 4's. When you make things with machines their is always a chance that something can be off and go unnoticed. 1/1000's of an inch is a hard thing to spot.

I'm willing to be Kel Tec will treat you real nice and you will be happy with your purchase.

(Montgomery County)

You don't need to send the whole weapon unless they insist. I'd bet getting a new magazine catch and spring would solve the problem, and Kel-Tec would probably send the parts to you for free if you ask.

The mag catch on the PF-9 was originally a plastic part, but they switched to metal later in production. I'm wondering it you got new old stock.

Also, be aware that some folks have had problems with inadvertently applying pressure to the release while shooting. (Hickock45 noted this issue on his first PF-9 video.) But since you tried other shooters and still had the issue, I'm thinking it's more likely a problem with the part.

Kel-Tec will make it right. I've found their customer service to be among the best.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lhowland.40 View Post
    I like the size and look of the pf9 more than other compact models out but horror stories like this always kept me away from kel tec. I don't think I'd ever bring myself to buy one.

Good luck hopefully they will correct your issue.
    On paper the PF9 is just about everything you would probably search for in a 9mm carry gun. In person... the trigger sucks. The build quality feels a little lacking, and its thinness is overshadowed by the fact its not actually that small. I bought a Glock 26 instead. Despite the width and weight its actually a smaller foot print on me.

That said, there are plenty of these things out there that work 100% of the time. My thoughts are you just got a turd. One that kel tec will almost certainly make right or replace for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    In person... the trigger sucks.
    If you think the PF9 has a shitty trigger, you should try the P11.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    On paper the PF9 is just about everything you would probably search for in a 9mm carry gun. In person... the trigger sucks.
    Agreed. However, have you ever tried the Northwood Trigger on the PF9? Seems to be receiving rave reviews, although the installation can be tricky based on each person's level of experience. From what I am hearing, it is a drastic improvement to the factory PF9 trigger.

You get what you pay for.
    For the most part Keltec puts out a reasonably reliable gun for the money.
    And it seems they stand behind their product, so if they fix it correctly you're still ahead of the game.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Philadelphia County)

Check out the Ruger LC9. If you really don't want a long trigger pull, then look at the SR9C. I find the SR40C perfect for concealed carry and range use. Below is a pic I found on another website. Starting at the top is a CZ75, SR9c, G26, PF-9 and P-3AT. The next pic below it compares the size of the LC9 with the SR9C.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin60 View Post
    Agreed. However, have you ever tried the Northwood Trigger on the PF9? Seems to be receiving rave reviews, although the installation can be tricky based on each person's level of experience. From what I am hearing, it is a drastic improvement to the factory PF9 trigger.
    No sir, I cannot say that I have. When I was PF9 shopping a few years ago they were getting snapped up faster than I could find one in a shop. When I finally found one in stock, I was like YES! Got it out of the case and was like... uh... nah.

I don't believe the Northwood trigger existed at that time.

ETA: The pic above is why I bought the G26. The PF9 truly doesn't occupy less space to me. But on days when the Glock isn't possible, I have an LCP.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; September 1st, 2012 at 04:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast