Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Ruger Rimfire World Championships

I saw that the Ruger Rimfire World Championships are being held here in PA at Ontelaunee. Decided to sign up myself and my 14yr old daughter. I shoot at many steel plate matches.......but never a Ruger Rimfire event. I have heard they are very fun and we are looking forward to it. Anyone here shoot Ruger Rimfire matches? Anyone here shooting at the Ontelaunee match?

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Ruger Rimfire World Championships

I haven't been to Ontelaunee, but we run Ruger Rimfire matches monthly at Lewistown Pistol Club. It's a lot of fun. We try and keep our matches fun for everyone from the first time competitor, to the person who shoots a competition every weekend. I'm actually going to be setting up tonight, for our match tomorrow. There's a thread here if you're interested.

I'm sure the World match is going to be a great one, and I wish I could go, but it's just not in the cards for me. I'm looking forward to hearing from those who do go, though. Be sure to let us know what it was like. I hear they're going to have a great prize table, too.

(Blair County)

I also shoot the monthly match at Lewistown. It is a great time and I have met some good friends out there. I am going to the Championship match along with another guy that frequents the Lewistown matches.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    I saw that the Ruger Rimfire World Championships are being held here in PA at Ontelaunee. Decided to sign up myself and my 14yr old daughter. I shoot at many steel plate matches.......but never a Ruger Rimfire event. I have heard they are very fun and we are looking forward to it. Anyone here shoot Ruger Rimfire matches? Anyone here shooting at the Ontelaunee match?
    Yes, there is a reason that Ruger lobbied Tom at Ontelaunee to hold the world championship event. The past Ruger events at Ontelaunee have seen 30% growth each year (highest attendance of all the Ruger events). They put on a great event. My advice to you, bring a folding chair and there there early to get decent parking. If squads are 15+ shooters to a squad, there will be a lot of sitting time.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by kommando View Post
    Yes, there is a reason that Ruger lobbied Tom at Ontelaunee to hold the world championship event. The past Ruger events at Ontelaunee have seen 30% growth each year (highest attendance of all the Ruger events). They put on a great event. My advice to you, bring a folding chair and there there early to get decent parking. If squads are 15+ shooters to a squad, there will be a lot of sitting time.
    Good advice on the chair. Will keep that in mind!

(Chester County)

I signed up back in July. Cant wait to see the prize table.....

(Northumberland County)

We hold a monthly (2nd Sunday) rimfire match at Keystone Fish & Game as well. It is modeled after the Ruger format, but is not a sanctioned match. Basically we just use smaller steel targets than regulation and only have a few stages.

We'll be sending three shooters to Ontelaunee this month for the big event. Should be a good time.

I'm new to the Rimfire Challenge but I'm signed up and look forward to shooting it. Having trouble getting my rifle and pistol setup. Not sure go all iron sights or use the optics. Got to practice more.

Will definitely bring a chair.

Doogie

(York County)

The family and I skipped this. Anyone have some pics or a report of how the day went?

(Northumberland County)

No pics, but I guess I could report...

There were about 165-170 competitors, with way more professionals present than I expected. I was in the afternoon group for the weekend. Saturday it tried to rain late in the day, but it was only a few drops. Sunday was nice.

I had never shot a major match before, so it was a nice learning experience. Got put in a squad that turned out to be very, very good. Like 3 of the top 5 overall and 6 of the top 10 good. The speed of some of these pros was impressive. Nice guys too. Of course, we amateurs weren't really a threat.

They had 12 stages total. Shoot 6 on each day. Took about 4 hours to shoot 6. Some were shot with rifle and pistol separately, some pistol only.

There were two big combo rifle/pistol stages. Those were the stages that really determined you overall time. 20 targets, 10 rounds in each gun. Reload if needed. If you want a fast time, clean the stage without reloading. Unlike the other stages that you shoot 3 times and drop the worst time, these you shoot once. So there was a real trade-off between accuracy and speed. Slow down just enough to make sure you get them all without relaoding basically.

I ended up having a good time, and would certainly like to do it again.

Stage diagrams are here.
    Match results are here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast