Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Ooohhh Goodie! Another "What Should I Buy Thread?" I Figured it Out

My birthday has come around again, as it often does. That means free range to buy a pistol without considering financial or social repercussions.

So I'm reasonably working with around $500, perhaps stretch that out to $600.

I own and primarily carry a Smith and Wesson J frame. I also carry a plastic pocket pistol on occasion.

I'd like a compact to full size duty type gun chambered in either 9mm or .45 acp. I will probably carry it occasionally but its main function will be range fun/bedside gun/SHTF gun. I have owned Glocks. I like them, but sometimes I find them a bit boring. I am considering a 26 or a 19. I have owned XDs. I really like them. I'm considering a 4 inch XD in 9mm. I have never tried the M&P guns. I'd love to try a M&P 9c, but am wary of the trigger. I don't want to have to modify a gun I just bought because it is lacking. I need to get my hands on one to try the trigger for myself. I should mention that I find the stock trigger on Glocks and XDs to be agreeable (and different).

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 1911, but last time around I got rid of my 1911 because the price of .45 acp. I could hunt one down in 9mm, but after all, it is a 1911.

The gun must be high capacity, or at least have the capability to be (Glock 17 rounds in a 26).

Suggestions? Questions? I'm trying to think out loud, just looking for a little help.
    Last edited by rwb1500; September 4th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ooohhh Goodie! Another "What Should I Buy?" Thread

You might like the thread I created (plastic fantastic 9 or 45) a week or two ago. It spawned basically these guns.

Glock
    CZP07 Duty
    M&P 9
    Walther PPQ
    Steyr
    Caracal
    HK P30

Of the ones I have since fooled with, the P07 is the DA/SA 16+1 variety that craps all over all of the other guns triggers in SA mode. As it should being SA. But seriously, seriously. There is no comparison to a Glock or XD trigger. And that includes modded or otherwise. And I have a ghost rocket and every spring you can buy for a Glock sitting here. The standard M&P trigger is not as good as a Glock. The M&P pro however is better than a modded Glock trigger. Maybe not competition modded... but man its nice. And the break is VERY crisp, without that spongy wall. Ergos are also good. I absolutely would not buy one without this trigger in it. Or plan on installing one immediately.

I hate XD's so... yeah. That ones on you.

The G26 I have is awesome. But its short sight radius + an extended magazine does not a G17 make... many people would just get a G19 for the perfect middle ground. But I think I'd rather have a 17 and a 26. As neither carry quite like the 26 will. Unless your a big guy.

Of the money you listed only the Glock, XD, and CZ fall in. The Steyr and the Caracal do as well, but they are hard to find. And you'd almost have to order one in blind. Which I refuse to do. I'm hoping to come across one in the next couple weeks. If not, ill probably just buy a G17 and be boring. And if I get super bored mod it a little.

If you truly want a 45 the Glocks are good. The G30 is a great size and holds a ton of 45. I would also add the FNP 45 to the list (FNH) as its fairly ridiculous. You could also add the FNX in 9. Its comparable to the CZ in DA/SA but the CZ SA trigger is better. DA is not. I would however throw reliability to the FN over the CZ. As the Duties are not without their share of bad eggs I've read.

You can however get the CZ in a threaded barrel version for about $480 with adj suppressor sights though. Don't see you getting too bored with that. Mags will be typical CZ premium. So will FN. Glocks will be the cheapest and most prolific. XD's and M&P's relatively similar.

Haven't encountered the Steyr's or caracals, but mags are about $30 each.

I just bought a M&P9c and I love it, absolutely love it. Accurate, the best trigger I ever felt on plastic gun. My only complaint is the mag springs are stiff.
    Also check out the Walther P99.
    And if you can scratch a few more bucks together buy a Sig and never look back.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Montgomery County)

Take a look at Smith and Wesson third generation 9mm autos. The 6906 is a compact aluminum framed stainless slide double stack 9mm that is durable and accurate. The set up is DA/SA, which is not for everyone.

Another great from the good old days of metal framed guns is the 5906 and 5946 or 5943. The 5906 is a full sized Smith and Wesson 9mm (15-17 rd capacity) with a stainless frame and slide in DA/SA. The 5946 is stainless all over as well and has a smooth DAO action that is quite nice. The 5943 has an alloy frame and stainless slide for lighter weight and is DAO. All of these are fine, durable and accurate devices.

If you want to go a step further check out the limited TSW line of Smith and Wesson automatics. They can be found on gunbroker by searching for "TSW." The TSW designation usually added a light rail, heavier barrel, better trigger and increased internal strengthening. They can all be had in the range of 350 USD to 600 USD tops. The TSW line has compact, full size and comes in 9, 40 and 45 chamberings. Check them out for value priced top notch firearms. In my experience, they are as good if not better than HK firearms at about half the price.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Centre County)

Walther PPQ. Great trigger.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Luzerne County)

Might I suggest a .22 conversion kit for a .45 you already own. then Yo can buy a whole bunch of .22 ammo with whats left of you $500.00.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

I was told by a salesman at Targetmaster that S&W is going to put the M&P Shield trigger in the rest of the M&Ps. I don't know the timeline on that, but it might be worth calling Smith about and waiting for. People are raving about that shield trigger.

ETA: Apparently Smith put on their FB page that those M&Ps should have started shipping last may.
    Last edited by TheWolff; September 1st, 2012 at 11:50 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    I was told by a salesman at Targetmaster that S&W is going to put the M&P Shield trigger in the rest of the M&Ps. I don't know the timeline on that, but it might be worth calling Smith about and waiting for. People are raving about that shield trigger.

ETA: Apparently Smith put on their FB page that those M&Ps should have started shipping last may.
    Really? That is interesting.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Really? That is interesting.
    Some more info here: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-644627.html

(Philadelphia County)

My buddy just got a Springfield XDS. It is one sweet looking handgun. Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face.
    Last edited by palawstudent; September 1st, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast