Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIA Tactical

(Northampton County)

Default RIA Tactical

Hey all

I just recently purchased my first 1911, A Rock Island Tactical .45 acp.

I had some questions about some "upgrades" in mind.

I was looking to get rid of my ambi safety. I know it's a big plus for some people just useless to me. I was wondering if there was some type of aftermarket one I could put in, that would simply plug, or fill in the space that would be empty on the other side.

If not no biggie was just curious if it could be a option.

My next issue is the sights. I saw a older thread on here asking the same question but thought maybe I could get some updated info. I don't need both sights replaced just changing the front one to a night sight I think would be sufficient. The black on black definetely needs to go.

I found on Dawson Precision a fiber optic replacement front sight but there is no pic, and never been to fond of the fiber optic's.

I would prefer a night sight like a trijicon or something with a white circle around the night sight. But have had not any luck finding any.

Any clues would be awesome!

Also any tips for a new 1911 owner would be much appreciated

edit + pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: RIA Tactical

nice 1911 im looking to get one as well
    common sense is a mf

(Monroe County)

Nice... Looks just like mine, I have those Pachmayr grips, too. Although mine has a lot of finish marks and wear from being carried every day for a few years. It's OK, though... After I got over the initial heartbreak when it didn't look brand new anymore, I decided I like the look of a well-used 1911. Gives it character.

About the ambi safety... I know I remember reading about a way to exchange the ambi safety for a "normal" safety, but I can't remember where I read that. If and when you find out, please let me know... I want to do that to mine, too. The main reason being that it's pretty easy to accidentally bump the safety lever off with your arm.

EDIT: Found a video:

Last edited by snakeman21; September 1st, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    Nice... Looks just like mine, I have those Pachmayr grips, too. Although mine has a lot of finish marks and wear from being carried every day for a few years. It's OK, though... After I got over the initial heartbreak when it didn't look brand new anymore, I decided I like the look of a well-used 1911. Gives it character.

About the ambi safety... I know I remember reading about a way to exchange the ambi safety for a "normal" safety, but I can't remember where I read that. If and when you find out, please let me know... I want to do that to mine, too. The main reason being that it's pretty easy to accidentally bump the safety lever off with your arm.
    Oh great, now I find out about that
    Hold the Line...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Oh great, now I find out about that
    I don't think it's that bad. I've never had a problem, I just dislike the look of it more than anything.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus6d9 View Post
    nice 1911 im looking to get one as well
    Thanks! I'm pretty fond of it as well. I don't think you'd be disappointed going with Rock Island.

Will do snakeman21. I also feel like I've seen somewhere that sells a "regular" safety but can't remember for the life of me. That just makes it worse because I feel like it should be something pretty easy to find.

Hopefully somebody will come along with a link......

Quote Originally Posted by lhowland.40 View Post
    Thanks! I'm pretty fond of it as well. I don't think you'd be disappointed going with Rock Island.

Will do snakeman21. I also feel like I've seen somewhere that sells a "regular" safety but can't remember for the life of me. That just makes it worse because I feel like it should be something pretty easy to find.

Hopefully somebody will come along with a link......
    I had to have the lgs order one for me as they didn't have one in the store, so I haven't even seen mine yet. Does the safety really stick out that much in comparison to the standard GI model?

Thank for posting info, makes me more eager to get mine.
    Last edited by spacemanvic; September 1st, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Hold the Line...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    I had to have the lgs order one for me as they didn't have one in the store, so I haven't even seen mine yet. Does the safety really stick out that much in comparison to the standard GI model?

Thank for posting info, makes me more eager to get mine.
    Did you get the tactical or GI?

I've never handled a GI but I would assume it has a standard safety. The tactical is the same it's just one both sides.

Like I said I never had any problem, I've only had a few weeks now but never accidently disengaged while carrying it. It's pretty stiff but not overly stiff and has a very positive click.

I just want to change it more for looks but it's not neccessary by any means. Probably even better just to keep it on, in case I ever had to use it with my weak hand.

Good luck with your purchase I'm sure you'll be another happy Rock owner!

Quote Originally Posted by lhowland.40 View Post
    Did you get the tactical or GI?

I've never handled a GI but I would assume it has a standard safety. The tactical is the same it's just one both sides.

Like I said I never had any problem, I've only had a few weeks now but never accidently disengaged while carrying it. It's pretty stiff but not overly stiff and has a very positive click.

I just want to change it more for looks but it's not neccessary by any means. Probably even better just to keep it on, in case I ever had to use it with my weak hand.

Good luck with your purchase I'm sure you'll be another happy Rock owner!
    I got the tactical. They had a GI in the store, which I almost got. But the lgs gang said the short tail on the GI would lead to pinched hands. Plus, I was thinking about replacing th rigger, hammer and beaver tail. For about $30 more ($429), I got the tactical that came with everything I wanted.
    Hold the Line...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post

EDIT: Found a video:

Thanks! Just noticed you added that.

I'm at work so I didn't watch the whole vid does he mention where he got the safety. Will any work or is it something specific?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast