Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Federal Transport laws

I thought States must comply with Federal Transport laws? I saw another post where someone was saying NY doesn't comply.

This only makes sense that States must comply.

Here's a potential sceanrio. I am considering buying a NJ Shore House.

So if I am a PA Resident with a LTCF and I buy a shore house in NJ, I cannot tranport in a locked container through NJ to have the gun in a NJ home that I own? Granted it's a vacation home so I'm not a year round resident.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Federal Transport laws

Pretty sure the federal laws only apply to transporting through a state. You can pass through NY but not stay in NY. Same with Jersey. If you are staying there you need to do whatever they require to be legal and who knows what that may consist of.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Pretty sure the federal laws only apply to transporting through a state. You can pass through NY but not stay in NY. Same with Jersey. If you are staying there you need to do whatever they require to be legal and who knows what that may consist of.
    Yup. See the Firearm Owners Protection Act:

US Code Title 18, § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

For definitions, see http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/921.html

On another note, found this while looking for the text of the Act:

"The restrictions on full-auto firearms are a result of the Hughes Amendment (99th Congress, H.AMDT.777). The amendment prohibited the general public from possessing fully-auto firearms manufactured after May 19, 1986. Rep. William Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed the amendment late in debate and at night when most of the members of the House were gone. Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), a long proponent of gun control, was presiding over the House at that time and a voice vote was taken. Despite the fact that the bill appeared to fail, Rep. Rangel declared the amendment approved and it was incorporated into House Bill 4332. Once passing the House, H.R.4332 was incorporated in its entirety into S.49. The Senate passed the final S.49 on April 10, 1986 by voice vote and it was signed by the President on May 19, 1986."
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

If you are bringing a firearm to a vacation home it is the equivalent of your dwelling IMO. Of course I can’t prove this other than my conversation with the NJSP with regard to a similar situation. AFAIK if it’s your house, you own it, you can legally transport your firearm to that dwelling for protection. You can’t go driving around with the gun clunking in your trunk for three days or deviate from your destination. Keep in mind that
    since your destination is NJ the firearm has to be legal in NJ and stored to meet whatever crazy laws they have. Yes hollow points are legal.

BTW also IMO states can’t say travel through only. If that were true every state could say that and no one could travel. You have to end up somewhere, and if the laws of that somewhere are abided I can’t see what they can do.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    FUCK BIDEN

Ok so I finally had some time to find my links from past posts.

I hope this helps, and I hope this helps end the continuous BS about peaceable journey and Jersey. NJ for all its faults is reasonable and lawful with regard to fed. law. unlike NY!

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:
    · Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
    The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.
    http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html
    FUCK BIDEN

(Philadelphia County)

Not sure whether you can keep a firearm in your temporary dwelling. However, the firearm itself must be considered legal in the state of NJ.