Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Type 38 Jap. Cock on open

I have a type 38 that I had rebarreled in 260 Rem. I have a Timney side safety trigger on it set to 3 lbs. With a Birds eye maple manlicher stock, this old gun is gorgious.
    The only thing I don't like is tthat it is a little hard to close. You have to overcome the weight of the firing pin spring to close the bolt.
    Recently, someone sent me a set of plans to change the Jap to cock on open. This involves adding a 5/16in piece to the bolt and grinding the notch a bit deeper. You then have to reharden and retemper the bolt.
    I really like the old gun and it is by far the most accurate deer rifle I have ever shot. What I would like to know, have any of you done this to a Jap. How did it work or do you have a Jap. you would like to talk about?

Default Re: Type 38 Jap. Cock on open

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo001 View Post
    I have a type 38 that I had rebarreled in 260 Rem. I have a Timney side safety trigger on it set to 3 lbs. With a Birds eye maple manlicher stock, this old gun is gorgious.
    The only thing I don't like is tthat it is a little hard to close. You have to overcome the weight of the firing pin spring to close the bolt.
    Recently, someone sent me a set of plans to change the Jap to cock on open. This involves adding a 5/16in piece to the bolt and grinding the notch a bit deeper. You then have to reharden and retemper the bolt.
    I really like the old gun and it is by far the most accurate deer rifle I have ever shot. What I would like to know, have any of you done this to a Jap. How did it work or do you have a Jap. you would like to talk about?
    I have Type 99 that was my great uncles bring back. He hunted tons of deer with it in a sported Monte Carlo stock. I turned it back into Mil spec. The bolt on mine is slick and easy to use.
    Have you tried dissembling it and giving it and the receiver a good cleaning? Or maybe a nice polish?
    The Japs did make some nice rifles, at least the early ones.

Edit. On a side note be careful taking the bolt apart if you haven't already done it.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Westmoreland County)

Yes. The gun is very clean and well lubed. I tried shortening the spring a little but that made for light hits on the primer.
    I love the gun. I just wish it were a little lighter to cock. I'ld like to know if anyone has done the cock on open thing and how they like it. I'ld also like to hear from more Jap. owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo001 View Post
    Yes. The gun is very clean and well lubed. I tried shortening the spring a little but that made for light hits on the primer.
    I love the gun. I just wish it were a little lighter to cock. I'ld like to know if anyone has done the cock on open thing and how they like it. I'ld also like to hear from more Jap. owners.
    Try surplusrifle.com they have their own Jap rifle section with a lot of knowledgeable members.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin