Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Reload Data

(Franklin County)

Default Reload Data

I am new into reloading. I have been using Remington UMC 9mm Luger ammo and would would like to reload the cases. I have been having a hard time finding the right data to duplicate what I bought. It seems like everything I look at is for hollow points and I'm using .355 dia. 115 gr. FMJ (round nose). Any idea where I could start looking???

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Reload Data

I'd take any data from a reputable source for a 115 gr jacketed bullet in that caliber. Initial test should start with their starting load or if none given 5% off suggested load and then work up. It wasn't that long ago data was given for just jacketed weights and no reference was cited for specific bullets. Ask for some pet loads and I'm sure someone has a few here. Double check any load given.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger9 View Post
    I am new into reloading. I have been using Remington UMC 9mm Luger ammo and would would like to reload the cases. I have been having a hard time finding the right data to duplicate what I bought. It seems like everything I look at is for hollow points and I'm using .355 dia. 115 gr. FMJ (round nose). Any idea where I could start looking???
    I would highly recommend that you purchase the Lyman Reloading Manual. That is the best source of reloading information.
    Matt Dardas

(Franklin County)

I do have the Lyman Manual (49th), but it only has data for the
    115 gr. Jacketed HP and that's it (for 115 gr.). I assume a ball bullet
    (round nose) would have different data than a hollow point. ??

(Susquehanna County)

Generally speaking, bulet shape doesn't have a major effect on charge weight.

So reloading data for a 115 gr FMJ may be used for a 115 gr JHP. In any case you're going to be using the starting load and working up to your desired performance.

Now you should note that the example I give above cites JACKETED bullets. The same thing applies to cast or swaged lead bullets. Within a given weight class you can use the same data.

But Do Not cross data from Jacketed to Lead or vice versa.

While we're on the subject of Reloading Data. I strongly suggest you obtain another reloading manual. Speer #14 or Sierra Edition V would be good choices. It is always best to check multiple sources.

Accurate Powders and Hodgdon Powders both have on-line reloading data and so does Alliant. Just be sure to read the caveats and instructions.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post

So reloading data for a 115 gr FMJ may be used for a 115 gr JHP. In any case you're going to be using the starting load and working up to your desired performance.

Now you should note that the example I give above cites JACKETED bullets. The same thing applies to cast or swaged lead bullets. Within a given weight class you can use the same data.

But Do Not cross data from Jacketed to Lead or vice versa.

While we're on the subject of Reloading Data. I strongly suggest you obtain another reloading manual. Speer #14 or Sierra Edition V would be good choices. It is always best to check multiple sources.Accurate Powders and Hodgdon Powders both have on-line reloading data and so does Alliant. Just be sure to read the caveats and instructions.
    ^^^^^ THIS^^^^.

A bad experience I had -- from my previous post many years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    One thing I learned the hard way - always check at least two different references to verify that your load is within safe limits.

For decades I was loading M1 carbine based on a load shown in an early Lyman manual. It further specified not to reduce loads because of possible failure to cycle. Over the years I got a cracked stock and a sheared locking bolt but never attributed it to overloads.

I got the latest Lyman manual many years later and noted that my original loads were now listed as 15% OVER MAXIMUM.

So now I double check each loading with at least one other manual and/or on the powder manufacturer's website.

IANAL

(Franklin County)

Thanks EVERYBODY for your response. I will take all advice into consideration as I continue to reload. You've been most helpful

(Washington County)

Most powder manufacturers have a web site that offers load data. As others have said use a few sources, start low and work your way up to a suitable load.

FMJ data and JHP data go pretty much hand in hand but watch your OAL. I personally load my hollow points a tad hotter than my plinking FMJ's.

(Monroe County)

One suggestion for what it's worth.

When you're starting at 3 to 5% UNDER the reccomended min. load, load just 1 round into your mag at a time. If the slide won't lock back, you need more power. Plus check your barrel for a squib.

It may sound like a lot of work, but being safe is worth it.

As for load data, all you have to do is look. The more sources you find the more confident you'll be in your loads.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Lehigh County)

I do have the Lyman Manual (49th), but it only has data for the
    115 gr. Jacketed HP and that's it (for 115 gr.). I assume a ball bullet
    (round nose) would have different data than a hollow point. ??
    What powder are you using? I will check if I have something on my manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post

Generally, I agree. However, depending on the HP bullet, the OAL maybe affected.

Thanks EVERYBODY for your response. I will take all advice into consideration as I continue to reload. You've been most helpful
    Also, try emailing the bullet manufacturer... and the powder manufacturer. Sometimes, they have load data on their website.