Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Pike County)

Default 5.56 vs. 7.62x39

I know, I know, it's been asked a billion times, but I want to ask a little more specific question than just "which is better."

On the stopping power of these two rounds, some people seem to think that the 5.56 is better because it fragments and tears you up inside, while others say that the 7.62 is better because it is heavier, slower, and bigger, and hits harder. So, my question for your consideration is: Which is the better thing: To tear the adversary up, or hit him hard? (Yes, that is oversimplification, and this thread will probably not last 4 pages before it becomes an all-out mudfest).

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 5.56 vs. 7.62x39

There are too many variables that depend on the desired use and what the target is.

One makes a .224" hole, the other a .311" hole.

The 5.56 makes about 1100 to 1300ftlbs of energy. The 7.62 makes about 1800 to 1900ftlbs of energy.

The 5.56 generally has a higher Ballistic Coefficient than the 7.62, so it should retain more velocity during it's flight. But at closer ranges the 7.62's larger diameter, frontal area, and higher energy will have a higher potential to stop an aggressor. At much longer ranges the 5.56 probably has the upper hand because of the 7.62's lower BC.

If I were in an urban or heavily wooded/brush environment I'd probably take a 7.62x39. More open areas with a tad more range, the 5.56.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

IMO it depends on what the bullet weight and type is and also the Vel. of the 22 cal bullet any FMJ bullet fired from the now common short barrel AR dont really impress me. Just look at a reloading manual for 223 in a 14" barrel in the handgun section. The vel. is a good bit lower than a 20" and again IMO the mil ball isnt /wasnt designed for the lower vel. If you replace that 5.56 ball ammo with a good expanding soft point well then its a new ball game and would consider both calibers "about" equal. Either way they are many thousands dead caused by both. They will both kill but so can a sharp stick so I wouldnt spend countless hours overthinking it.

(Dauphin County)

The M16 first came out with a 1 in 14 twist with a 55 grain bullet and it inflicted terrible wounds and was very effective. The Army kept changing twist rates and bullet weights and took away the real advantage the M16 rifle originally had. Part of these changes had to do with the fact that the Army didn't want the M16 in the first place and tried to make the rifle fail when it first came out trying to save M14 production at the Springfield Armory.

Read the "M16 rifle case study" below.

http://pogoarchives.org/labyrinth/09/02.pdf

(Adams County)

first i don't want to get shot by either. interesting about the .223 ball close up. which is true. the way to deal with that is to load your mads qith a fmj then a soft point and alternate then that way in the full mag. i do the same when i cuarry my hi-power in 9mm.
    one expands the next goes deep.

(Monroe County)

5.56 - LIGHT and FAST projectile with almost ZERO recoil.
    7.62x39 - Heavier and Slower projectile with light to medium recoil depending on the platform.

a 5.56 in an AR platform versus a 7.62x39 in an AK platform also have their own distinct accuracy characteristics. An AR will shoot MOA and some even SUB MOA (minute of angle) where as most AKs will shoot MOBG and if youre lucky MOMJ at longer ranges (minute of milk jug and Minute of Bad Guy ) Also there are differences in penetration and trajectory. A 5.56 will not drop nearly as much as a 7.62x39 at 150-200 yards. Penetration varies too - 7.62x39 will have a bit more penetration as it is is heavier and will carry its energy further when striking an organic target (same goes for handgun ammo, carry heavier in the winter and lighter in the summer - HEAVY will GO DEEPER because it will retain more energy whereas a lighter projectile will expend much of its energy on the initial impact). The same goes for bucking through cover, such as brush/branches - The 7.62x39 being heavier will go through it with less deflection than the 5.56 (think of the 30-30 as a hunting rifle, why is it called a brush gun? The heavy bullet coupled with its short and light platform make it perfect to buck brush, wield it in cover and still retain its energy on target ). Think of throwing a pebble at a window and then throwing a brick - Which one will break it first?

And finally, there are ALL the ammunition choices available for the 5.l56 versus the relatively limited ones for the 7.62x39

To end this, all you have to do is ask yourself - WHICH ONE are you most comfortable with?

For me, its the 7.62x39 in an AK platform with 124gr. JHP ammo. It will NOT expand like you think and it WILL shoot through, but its still my go to choice for my defense rifle.

I hope this wasnt too long winded, but Im tired and its time to sleep. I have work early

Quote Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
    I know, I know, it's been asked a billion times, but I want to ask a little more specific question than just "which is better."

On the stopping power of these two rounds, some people seem to think that the 5.56 is better because it fragments and tears you up inside, while others say that the 7.62 is better because it is heavier, slower, and bigger, and hits harder. So, my question for your consideration is: Which is the better thing: To tear the adversary up, or hit him hard? (Yes, that is oversimplification, and this thread will probably not last 4 pages before it becomes an all-out mudfest).
    I would go with 5.56mm for stopping power, for the reason you stated: Fragmentation. The 77gr Mk262 is to me the king of the 5.56mm stoppers.

When it comes to armor penetration, the 5.56mm has a very, very large advantage in that category compared to 7.62mm commie. Much less frontal area, and much, much higher velocity.

If the 7.62x39mm was all that great the Russkies themselves would not have switched away from it, what, almost 40 years ago? 5.45x39mm is a much better all around caliber than 7.62x39mm IMO.

(Lehigh County)

what is the purpose of your question? home defense, target, elephant hunting, shtf? if i was in a battle, i would prefer the 5.56 only because the recoil is less and you can get back on target quicker. the 30 cal will make a bigger hole, but the size of the hole is really irrelevant in a target scenario. you need to ask yourself, what do I like to shoot. also is this from the same rifle, an ar in 5,56 and one in 7.62? i think you will get equal responses to this question, ar fans and ak fans. like i said in the beginning, it all depends what you are going to use it for.

p.s. i wouldn't use either for elephant hunting

It depends on the use. If your looking to stop groundhogs go with the 5.56, anything bigger get something else. Can you use 5.56 to hunt deer?
    Seriously .308 trumps all but that's not answering your question.

If I'm an urban or suburban Escape from New York scenario give me an AK in 7.62. It stops cars goes thru walls and doors etc.
    If I'm in an open rural environment with long ranges give me an M1A.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    It depends on the use. If your looking to stop groundhogs go with the 5.56, anything bigger get something else. Can you use 5.56 to hunt deer?
    Seriously .308 trumps all but that's not answering your question.

If I'm an urban or suburban Escape from New York scenario give me an AK in 7.62. It stops cars goes thru walls and doors etc.
    If I'm in an open rural environment with long ranges give me an M1A.
    Makes you wonder why every major military force has abandoned the .30 cal as it's primary armament if the AK 7.62mm is so great doesn't it?

Unless the AK 7.62mm round is not really that great, then it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    The standard British Enfield .303 Mk.7 bullet had a aluminum tip under the copper jacket, this made the bullet tail heavy and yaw sideways when it hit flesh. Even the most stable bullet will try to yaw when it hits because of the extremely high rpm the bullet is spinning. The design of the bullet and its rotational spin control how much the bullet will yaw.

At this time the Mk 262 round loaded with the Sierra 77-grain HPBT Match King bullet yaws and causes more damage than any other U.S. Military round.
    Not all spitzers will yaw. It has to have it's CG aft of the centerline of the bullet. The more unbalanced and longer the bullet, the faster it will yaw though. This is what makes the Mk77 so devastating even out of short barrel carbines. It exhibits fragmentation at velocities as low as 2100fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    To get around the "no hollow point in war" clause, the russians have an empty cavity under the point of the bullet, so the copper jacket deflects and causes the tumble.

I've picked up some spent surplus rounds and they do what they're supposed to.
    To get around the "no hollowpoint clause" the Russians replaced the 7.62mm with the 5.45mm....

Wound profiles of various 5.56mm, 7.62x39mm and 5.45mm rounds:

If anyone can find a round on that chart that is more significantly more devastating than US Mk262 Mod1 77gr 5.56mm OTM, please point it out to me.
    Last edited by Valorius; August 31st, 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast