Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Guy Here

(Delaware County)

Default New Guy Here

Picked up my first gun at the show in Oaks, a Ruger LC9. I don't have my permit for CCW but plan on applying soon. My first question is about the references, do they need to be current permit holders or anyone who can attest to the type of person you are?

Second question is ranges. Double action is very close to me but $20 for 50 rounds of 9mm is double what walmart charges, would it be in my best interest to patronize Target Master instead?

Last question, I have a good idea of laws (No permit for open carry except in car of philly, stay away from schools and courts, ect.) is what rights do we have when crossing over to NJ, or DE. I fear driving past target master and getting pulled over doing a u-turn right over the DE border. Is this ok if the weapon in the car is cased and empty and separate from cartridges? What about in NJ?

Oh yea, and also what are the laws about having a round chambered? Is this completely out of the question? A friend was telling me that if I wanted a car gun to get a DA revolver bc its illegal to have a Semi-Auto chambered even with the safety on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: New Guy Here

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJefferson View Post
    Picked up my first gun at the show in Oaks, a Ruger LC9. I don't have my permit for CCW but plan on applying soon. My first question is about the references, do they need to be current permit holders or anyone who can attest to the type of person you are?

It can be anyone

Second question is ranges. Double action is very close to me but $20 for 50 rounds of 9mm is double what walmart charges, would it be in my best interest to patronize Target Master instead?

Find the best deal you can.

Last question, I have a good idea of laws (No permit for open carry except in car of philly, stay away from schools and courts, ect.) is what rights do we have when crossing over to NJ, or DE. I fear driving past target master and getting pulled over doing a u-turn right over the DE border. Is this ok if the weapon in the car is cased and empty and separate from cartridges? What about in NJ?

You have no rights in these states

Oh yea, and also what are the laws about having a round chambered? Is this completely out of the question? A friend was telling me that if I wanted a car gun to get a DA revolver bc its illegal to have a Semi-Auto chambered even with the safety on.

Chamber as many as you want, with or with out safety.
    Welcome to the forums..

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJefferson View Post

1. Your references do not have to have anything to do with guns or have a ltcf. The only restriction I can think of is they can not be family members.

2. Not sure about the range question.

3. Don't cross over into NJ, or any other state without a full understanding of the laws. I can't really answer this because there are so many different rules for different scenario's. You can get screwed for not knowing the laws. If you do a search you will find a ton of discussions with information on this topic. A lot more than I can tell you.

4. You may have a round chambered, your friend is wrong.

Here is a link that has some basic info on getting a ltcf. There are a couple of links in the post that have a ton of useful information which is well worth taking the time to read.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/184...ml#post2126733

Sorry I couldn't help more. Welcome to the forum.

Btw.... Delaware is an open carry state including in the car. It is my understanding that your gun has to out in the open in the car. Others here have more info than I do on this.

Edit to add, here is a thread on Delaware/Pa

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...-de-de-pa.html
    Last edited by internet troll; August 30th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

(Chester County)

You can make the U turn on 202 at Naaman's Creek Road (at the Wawa) without entering Delaware.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Delaware County)

Welcome!

Please lock yourself in a room and read all the forum stickies before even considering carrying outside of the house.

Lotta laws to learn

(Delaware County)

Thanks everybody!! Submitted my app for LTCF on Friday. It was packed!

(Chester County)

As others have stated owning a firearm and carrying one are to things that should not be entered into lightly. That being said carting a firearm is the single most important thing you can do for your own general safety.

View all the stickies here they break the laws down into plain English and give you a better understanding of your rights. You've already made a good decision on coming here to get your information, as that's what I did 2 years ago when I moved to PA and I have learned a wealth of information since.

Personally it's a little out of your way but I'm a fan of French creek outfitters in phoenixville. Their customer service has always been excellant for me. They are cheaper than target master and you can bring your own ammo so long as its brass cased.

As far as I known DE is an open carry state and they do not consider your firearm concealed in your car provided it is in plain view of any officer. That being said I wouldn't do it with out researching it further. NJ is tricky technically your are protected under federal firearm transportation laws provided it is locked up unloaded ammo separate. NJ also doesn't allow hollow points except under 2 conditions 1) you are traveling from your place or residence to a legitimate shooting range. 2) you are traveling from your residence for the purpose of hunting. You cannot carry in NJ with out a NJ CCW and forget about trying to get one it's near impossible. DE doesn't recognize our ltcf however they do recognize Utah Florida and several others that are easily obtained by nonresidents, utah being one of the easier to obtain.

You can absolutely carry a gun loaded with one in the chamber. Not carrying a gun with one in the chamber is pointless you'd only be creating a cituation for your self to get hurt by a potential attacker. I've read that you should be able to draw and fire a pistol in less than 3 seconds to effectively defend your self. Once you have read and understood all laws pertaining to owning and carrying a firearm training should be your next concern. Carrying a firearm and not knowing how to properly use it is worse than not having it at all.

For the record I am not a lawyer all information found in this post is either MY opinion or MY interpretation of the law. Please do your own research. This forum is an excellant place to become a well informed citizen.

Glad to see another person stepping into the world of firearms goodluck and be safe.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Delaware County)

What everyone has said here is essentially correct except I would stress the "don't bring it into NJ" and certainly don't carry hollow-points into NJ. There may be "safe passage laws" on the books, but NJ will be more than happy to bust your chops given the chance, its really not worth it.