Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Why do we need a LTCF for concealed carry?

Why do we need a LTCF for concealed carry? What were the arguments that led to this requirement for concealed carry? It can’t be the act of carrying a firearm itself, because open carry (on which the law is said to be silent) is not prohibited. So, how did this come about? How did the court justify abrogating our constitutional right to bear arms?

Default Re: Why do we need a LTCF for concealed carry?

Because of the elected officials that we, the people, have put into office to make this kind of legislation.

That's why we have these laws.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgser View Post
    Why do we need a LTCF for concealed carry? What were the arguments that led to this requirement for concealed carry? It can’t be the act of carrying a firearm itself, because open carry (on which the law is said to be silent) is not prohibited. So, how did this come about? How did the court justify abrogating our constitutional right to bear arms?
    Back in the wild west when everybody was armed, it was common practice for Gentleman to display their sidearms openly. Duels were the way conflicts were solved, and shooting an unarmed person was quite taboo. Only those with 'dubious' intentions would conceal their weapons, so the story goes. As such, a permit from the sheriff was required if you wanted to hide a gun on your person.

(Wayne County)

I was hoping for the reasons the Court here in PA gave. For example, one court said: "concealed carry was a particularly nefarious [ i.e., flagrantly wicked, evil, iniquitous] manner of carry and the state had a compelling interest in preventing crime." That semed pretty subjective to me and in the vein of what a gentleman would not do. What I would hope to see is the rational, objective reason(s).

(Luzerne County)

The court does not make the laws.
    Your elected reps wrote 18PACS Ch.61
    As well as all the other statutes

(Jefferson County)

Back in the mid and late 1800's several states and their respected courts ruled that concealed carry was an act of unscrupulous or vile persons. Kentucky and Illinois(Pressler v. Illinois) were two of the states that concealed carry was deemed an unlawful act because of the nature of those who do it.

Through the case law of certain states, and the morally cowardice act of hiding a firearm - other states made concealed carry illegal or regulated it by means of permits or licenses.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

The bottom line is that our forebearers gave up the right and decided that it needed to be a privilege. Barring major changes in thought regarding OC and CC there is little hope that it will ever be changed back to original intent. In other words we're screwed because our great-great grandparents decided it should be so.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    The court does not make the laws.
    Your elected reps wrote 18PACS Ch.61
    As well as all the other statutes
    I accept that laws are in the province of our legislators. Nonetheless, it is the court that interprets and rules on the law, hence, my reference to the court. That being said, my question stands. Essentially, what is the rationale for this requirement? The only thing I know that came up thus far (in an earlier thread) was the “nefarious” characterization and that was said to be in the interest of preventing crime.

I really appreciate the reference to 18PACS Ch 61.

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Back in the wild west when everybody was armed, it was common practice for Gentleman to display their sidearms openly. Duels were the way conflicts were solved, and shooting an unarmed person was quite taboo. Only those with 'dubious' intentions would conceal their weapons, so the story goes. As such, a permit from the sheriff was required if you wanted to hide a gun on your person.
    That's some fine information right there.

(Wayne County)

Is it being said that those of us who carry concealed have dubious intentions; are unscrupulous and vile and are performing an act of moral cowardice? Let's not forget "nefarious," the flagrantly wicked or impious tag. Did we get an indulgence from these things because we bought a LTCF?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast